WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been lurking around for a little while and have been developing somewhat of an obsession with dive watches and seiko's in particular. I've been scouring the internet looking for a good deal on a second hand seiko that fit my budget (or lack there of). Finally I found a seiko SHC-043 that I scoured for ten bucks! The only problem was I really didn't like the bezel, but that wasn't a problem because seiko divers are super easy to mod right? Well that's when I realized how much I didn't know lol. Turns out the only bezel I could find that swaps is from the SKJ003 and similar, which was actually fine because I really like the Pepsi bezel. So finally I convinced my fiancée to let me spend another $35 on a new bezel (actually she was just going to be out of town and I was hoping I could get it shipped here before she got back ), but as it turns out when I put the bezel in my basket chronograph.com tells me that they're out. After doing some digging I found some on eBay for around $75, way out of my price range. Finally I just decided, why not design my own bezel? How hard could it be? Turns out, not that hard! Although making a rotating one, on the other hand, was going to be a little tough. So since I'm not really going to be using this watch for much more than some light desk diving, I figured it doesn't have to rotate. After a few iterations of a few designs I decided to prototype two of them with a 3D printer.

Here it is with the stock bezel

Version 1

Version 2

I'm leaning more towards version 1 because it will be a lot easier to make. They will be made up by a friend of mine that works as a machinist as a favor so I want it to be as simple as possible.

I'm glad I decided to 3D print it first since the coining on the side was way too small. Everything always looks so much bigger in the model. It will be much more prominent on the steal version.

Any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated! Also, does anyone know what type of stainless the case is made of? I'm thinking 304?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Howdy! I appreciate the ingenuity to 3D print a new bezel. I've long thought that 3D printing would be a good way to fabricate shrouds as well. For what it's worth, I have a few SKJ parts watches - if you've determined that an SKJ bezel would fit your watch, shoot me a PM. Inserts aren't in great shape, but Dagaz sells AM replacements.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Howdy! I appreciate the ingenuity to 3D print a new bezel. I've long thought that 3D printing would be a good way to fabricate shrouds as well. For what it's worth, I have a few SKJ parts watches - if you've determined that an SKJ bezel would fit your watch, shoot me a PM. Inserts aren't in great shape, but Dagaz sells AM replacements.
Thank you, I may take you up on that depending on how this turns out! The 3D printed bezel was just to get an idea of what it would look like on the watch. The finished product will be machined from stainless steel. I was actually just thinking this morning that a 3D printed shroud would actually be pretty cool. Maybe I'll experiment with that next!

Here is a rendering of what I'm thinking the final bezel will look like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts