WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Took the watch apart today, figured I would prepare it for when the parts get here.

I will be replacing hands, dial and bezel insert.

May consider a movement upgrade and reluming of hands and dial in the future.

Pretty easy to guess what it will be, though it won't be a dark dial, and that's the only hint I'm giving.

Thanks to member waymond wamano for selling me the donor watch, price was fair and transaction was great.

Hoping I can get the hands set without fudging it. Have figured out it's pretty hard to deal with them without working under magnification.

Oh, the one other thing that I am apprehensive about:

The dial coming in has the date window at 4:30 (another hint I guess).

I'm really hoping the date will just line up without having to re-align the date wheel.

Just wishful thinking on my part?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update:

Did the mod last night.

Lesson learned:

I think I did OK setting the hands, but after setting the bezel insert and giving it a spin, I found out the bezel action starts to seize at the 9 o'clock mark, then eases up at about 2 o'clock, so I figure it's either:

The gasket crimped up a bit ( no I did not lube it first, silly me)

The underside of the bezel or the lip on the case warped when putting it back on.

I do not have a press currently so I had to MaGuyver it back on using pliers and a towel to protect, which I found out (as you can see in attached pic) still doesn't protect as well as it should as it left marks on the bezel edge.

Now, I could pop it off again and sand and polish those out, my concern is if the bezel is warped it's unfixable, in which case I guess a new bezel and press set is in my future, sigh.

Anyways pic or it didn't happen:

20210603_064904.jpg

·
Registered
255 Posts
I haven't done a full mod (yet?), but I've found if you have automotive tools, a big socket can make installing a bezel a breeze. Just use tape or a towel or whatever to prevent scratches. (Modders with the proper tools probably have heads exploding right about now)

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a good hack in hindsight, if it fits in the groove for the insert then there would be no damage to see and it SHOULD press down evenly (use a block of wood I'm assuming.)

Guess I can see if I have one that's the right size and try it again (after inspecting for warpage first.)

·
Premium Member
8,477 Posts
Congrats on your first mod, It looks quite sharp — especially, with the silver/white dial and handset encased by the black bezel. Enjoy wearing your mod 55 Fathoms Seiko.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys.

I wanted a white/light colored diver as right now my other 2 are blue and anthracite.

I've seen these on the Bay using the same parts I ordered from Dagaz and Yobokies, however they used the black dial SNZH as the base which has black date wheels. I wanted it to match which is why I got the blue dial as the donor.

Anyone who has experience setting bezels please chime in ang tell me if I'm dealing with a crimped gasket or a warped bezel here. It LOOKS straight but it certainly doesn't feel like it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
350 Posts
I like the dial color choice, really nice looking.

Not an expert by any means but I have gotten a bezel on cocked before. It would still rotate, just not smoothly. Since then I always lube the gasket and funny enough I use the socket method with a block of wood and my hand/body as the press. Try removing it, lube the gasket and see if you can re-install as that doesn't cost anything more than your time.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks RJ, I may give that a shot after I finish moving and get a press. It obviously functions for now, just not like it should.

Will pull out the insert and fix the marks on the bezel as well before putting it back on again.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
YESSSSSS!!!!!!!

The fidget spinner works again!!

Greased the gasket, click spring, and bottom of the bezel, just in case.

I did not have a socket big enough to fit in the groove for the insert, but a large roll of tape did the job perfectly, and doesn't cause any damage. I also used it to press down the insert after.

So yeah, lesson learned: if you're going to put a bezel on, and don't have a press, don't use pliers, as pressing one side down and then the other doesn't seat it evenly, and marks up the edge of the bezel in the process.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts