WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I purchased my first mechanical watch a few weeks ago off of ebay for about $50 shipped. It arrived all the way from Hong-Kong yesterday, so I've had a little time to get acquainted with it. So far, I am very impressed.

First off, the model is really great looking! Its a very clean and simple watch that is easy to read at a glance. The see-thru caseback is also nice, and should prove to be a good way to show the movement off. The watch seems to be about 10 or 15 seconds fast a day, which is about what I had expected.

The watch is quite small, but surprisingly dense. It seems to be heavier then my G-shocks which are much larger. The smaller size makes it more comfortable to wear, too.

As for the lume, it is pretty good, especially given how small the hands and hour markers are. The only thing is that the lume doesn't charge well under normal light, and needs a few seconds of bright light to shine well. Still, it lasted through all of last night, although it was quite dim in the morning.

Overall, I am very happy with my new watch. At first I thought I would miss the extra features that my digitals have, but I really haven't cared so far. The timepiece is far nicer than my G-shocks, and its true that the mechanical movement almost seems to make the watch have a "soul". I may not be able to buy anything thats not mechanical now!

Here are some quick pictures I took. Nothing special, but I tried:

·
Banned
5,568 Posts
Nice watch TomG. I just got mine last week, one of the 5 models as well and I like it quite a bit. There are some of the other models I'm keeping an eye on as well.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Congratulations! One of the greatest bang-for-the-buck watches available.
I also own this Seiko5 and usually wear it all the time. If you want to change
the look of the watch, try changing various bands and you will find that this
watch can give you so much fun.

This is mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
In one of life's little ironies, this is the cheapest Seiko 7S26 watch I've ever bought, and yet it's also the most accurate at just +2s/day.

Looks the part on a Bond NATO.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the comments. Now I just have to resist the urge buy another great Seiko.

In one of life's little ironies, this is the cheapest Seiko 7S26 watch I've ever bought, and yet it's also the most accurate at just +2s/day.
Wow, that is impressive. I just measured the accuracy of mine at 12 seconds fast in 24 hours. Certainly meets my expectations for $50.

Congratulations! One of the greatest bang-for-the-buck watches available.
I also own this Seiko5 and usually wear it all the time. If you want to change
the look of the watch, try changing various bands and you will find that this
watch can give you so much fun.

This is mine.
Yeah, I might change the strap of the watch in the future. For now I'm okay with the nylon one, but I do like the looks of the leather strap; gives it a real pilot style feel to the watch.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
I have 2 Seiko 5's and they are awesome watches to be had for 40-60 bucks. They make great beater/everyday watches that can also still impress. The 7s26 movement is definately quite accurate and durable for the price range as well. And, you are like me, once I bought a mechanical, I find it hard to go otherwise!

·
Registered
815 Posts
I have the exact same watch, and I know a few other people here do as well.

The Seiko 5 is a great entry into the world of mechanical watches, and I am in complete agreement with you that once you own a mechanical, there's really no turning back!

Enjoy the watch! :-!

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Cool looking watch! I especially like that Bond NATO band shot. I picked up this similar one about a year ago off flea-bay. It, too, runs about 15 seconds fast per day, but I haven't gotten around to adjusting it yet. I have since replaced the strap pictured with a rubber deployment one.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Great posts. I was thinking of picking one of these up. I want to get a Seiko again after owning a Arctura from a LONG TIME AGO. I want a "beater" watch that I can take to the mountains, camping, racing my motorcycle, and basically beat up. Good choice?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I completely agree how mechanical watches seem to have a soul. I liken it to a symbiotic relationship. I need my watch to tell me the time, and my watch needs me to keep it running. As long as I wear it, it will work for me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts