WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted a true dive watch for not a lot of money. Obviously, that narrowed it down to the SKX and the Mako. I had read a ton of posts, listened to arguments for both, read reviews and basically looked at a million pics before deciding. Went back and forth, looked at the Ray as well and considered a Mako USA. In the end I decided on the blue Mako because it was blue, had numbers, and allowed me to still purchase the SKX in black or pepsi at a later date because of the indices if I choose to. I must say, I'm very happy.

Thanks to the WUS posters that commented and threw in their experience. Sounds like I couldn't go wrong either way. I seem to have come across more supporters of the SKX, but I don't think anyone had anything truly bad to say about either watch, just personal preferences and nit-picking to justify a choice. I can see myself picking up the Seiko at a later time just to see the difference or to know I'll be getting the most for my money. The blue color won me over because of its versatility and the fact I wear a lot of browns and colors that go with brown shoes rather than black. It's only been a few hours of owning, but I must say I'm impressed. Everything that was stated about the watch is true! Great heft, great movement. The looks are wonderful. I really didn't like the numbers on the bezel from the pictures and thought they looked to small and kind of cheap. In person though, it really works. The blue sunburst that shines in the light is great as well. I also thought that the brushed finish on the bracelet would detract and make the watch look cheap. I like shiny things after all. But it's done in a perfect way that still lets light reflect and create some great shadows. The contrast of the polish on the bezel seals the look.

The detractors on this watch I don't have a problem with. Many complained about the bracelet. I must not have bought an expensive enough watch yet because I find the bracelet to be a positive. It feels solid, heavy and I don't even notice the hollow end links. Another point of contention was the extra crown. I find this to add some character though. It works well and the addition of Spanish/English is pretty cool. It screws in easily and the whole watch just feels expensive. The first thing I did was go for a 2 mile run to charge it up. I removed three links and it fits like a glove. No movement at all, yet it's still very comfortable. The last criticism was the lume. I have yet to fully charge it and see how long it holds, but after coming inside from the sun for about 20 minutes, it was glowing readily in the shadows more than any other watch I have.

Overall, the looks are great. The Orient logo fits with the style of the watch. I find I'd be able to wear this watch in pretty much any situation. I think it's dressy enough to wear with a suit, yet as a dive watch, its sporty enough to wear casually and can also go underwater and take a little bit of a beating. The font for the Automatic and WR are great and pretty "fancy" I think. Being my first mechanical, the movement is sort of a constant ticking rather than a smooth flow like my Precisionist. That's just an observation, not a criticism. I really like the second hand being red as well and brings out the red in the logo. As an overall piece, the watch looks like it should cost a lot more. I agree that I got my money's worth on this one. Hard to look away, and it looks stunning in the pictures. I haven't run into anyone wearing it yet, but people don't tend to notice or say much anyway. This watch makes me very happy though and I think its going to be hard for me to wear a lot of my other watches because this one just works so well in so many situations and with pretty much any outfit.

I love it when the research and time "wasted" pays off and I spend my hard earned money on something I'll truly like. I've been trying to thin down a collection of impulse buys. I've done the same thing with clothes and then airsoft guns way back when. I've found it feels so much better to have a few things that fit well, work well, get used often than to have a huge variety of stuff that you don't truly love. It's been a lesson I've learned slowly, but has really worked its way in this year. I suppose it's good advice for all collectors: Take your time and find the piece you want. You get what you pay for and more is not always better. This post would be egregious without pics, so here you go!

IMG_9179.JPG IMG_9135.JPG IMG_9158.JPG IMG_9156.JPG IMG_9159.JPG IMG_9161.JPG IMG_9172.JPG IMG_9167.JPG IMG_9168.JPG IMG_9196.JPG IMG_9192.JPG IMG_9194.JPG

·
Registered
19,847 Posts
Congrats on your new watch.

What the button at 2 o'clock for ?

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
The button is a pusher for quickset day function. It's a great watch OP, well done. I will be selling mine since I just got a Blumo and can't keep two blue dial watches but wouldn't hesitate to own another Mako.

·
Registered
11,693 Posts
Congrats on the watch. You've really summed up why the Mako is such a forum favorite! I've never owned one but I probably should. Did you consider the mako XL at all?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congrats on the watch. You've really summed up why the Mako is such a forum favorite! I've never owned one but I probably should. Did you consider the mako XL at all?
Thanks! I did not. I prefer the circular or numbered indicies of the Ray and Mako. I feel like every watch I have use the sticks or whatever you call them. This ended up being the perfect size for me as well. I think bigger would just make it more casual. I did take a long look at the Mako USA though - if only for the sapphire glass and other improvements. Still don't like that it wasn't numbered.

Reactions: Bodyblue

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Well done! What is Your wrist size, if I may ask?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Those are great looking watches! I've been considering the Mako XL lately, but I think I will revisit the standard Mako due to your post. Love that Blue dial! Good choice!

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Glad I could help. I think the black one would have been gorgeous as well. I thought long and hard about the Ray too - or the SKX. I love those circles. I'm not sure what size wrist I have because I've never measured. I'd think it was about 7-7.25" or so. I have a 46mm watch that is big, but not ridiculous looking. Typically, the 42-44 is good, but I feel this watch fits perfectly. I'm 5'9" 175, muscular with big forearms so bigger watches don't look silly.

·
Banned
2,835 Posts
Its funny that you should talk about the bracelet. I have seen one in the flesh and it seemed pretty decent actually. Any band with solid links usually feels decent to me. The hollow end links is one of those things that some people have a fetish about but they dont bother me as long as they fit well. When I got my first Invicta a bunch of people complained about the bracelet and it turned out to be very nice, as is your Mako's. Another thing that people freak out about is the white day/date wheel on a black face. I like it because it is simply more legible since it stands out more. As with most things, if somebody has an opinion that is too strong, either good or bad, I disregard what that person says. But there is little ever bad said about Orients thats for sure! (Only by those died in the wool Swiss made guys)

Nice Watch!

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Those are great looking watches! I've been considering the Mako XL lately, but I think I will revisit the standard Mako due to your post. Love that Blue dial! Good choice!
Also check out the new Mako USA. It adds sapphire and solid end links for the bracelet...although the dial/hands redesign is polarizing for most...might be to your liking though.

·
Banned
2,835 Posts
Oh and a few days ago I looked at one of my Armitrons and said; "Now I know where Armitron got the idea for the face from!" As you can see they are quite similar. Not nearly as tough of a watch but it looks nice.

IMG_20150503_134020_382.jpg

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is a nice looking watch, I'd agree. Just a bit different. I like the bezel.

·
Registered
19,847 Posts
The button is a pusher for quickset day function.

Thanks for the explanation, what a weird way to change the date though.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Congrats on the new watch

1) is it hackable? and is it hand wind-able?

2) what is its accuracy in seconds per day?

·
Registered
10,859 Posts
Thanks for the explanation, what a weird way to change the date though.
Just the day. The date is quick-set from the crown like you would expect. The movement just doesn't have the capability of setting the date from the crown but it can advance the day wheel (obviously) after midnight. It's definitely an Orient quirk with their day-dates. It's either charming or annoying and while I initially feared it would be annoying, I've now fallen into the charming camp. It actually makes setting the day pretty easy as well.

On the Mako (and other divers with this movement) the pusher is screw-down.

Reactions: lvt

·
Registered
10,859 Posts
Congrats on the new watch

1) is it hackable? and is it hand wind-able?

2) what is its accuracy in seconds per day?
1) Neither. Winding from rotor, however, is extremely efficient.

2) I can't speak to the OP's Mako, but my Orients in general are highly accurate after the break in period but every watch is an individual. I seldom wear one long enough to see lots of drift and non-hacking makes it harder to measure, but after a month of daily wear on an Orient movement, I was about one minute fast. For what it's worth, none of my Seiko movements are quite that accurate.

·
Premium Member
64,774 Posts
If it came to a showdown between these two watches I don't know where my money would be. If colour were taken into consideration the the blue Mako would win hands down though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the review. I'm looking for my first non-quartz dive watch and that blue is very striking. You mention that people have trouble with the 2nd crown at 2 o'clock but didn't mention why it's there at all. What does it do?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts