WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! My name is Mike and I'm "somewhat" new here. I created an account about a year ago but have just been lurking lol, no posts. But I've recently become much more interested in the watch game and I am now looking to buy my first ever premium watch and want to get more involved in the community! I currently only have a Seiko coutura radio sync SSG009 which I like the look of and does what I need it to do. But I want to step it up a notch. I'm a fairly recent college grad (about a year out of school) and recently got an amazing new job. I'd like to buy myself something to commemerate these milestones! My budget is a tad tight for now, but I'm confident you guys can help!!

I'm currently interested in buying pre-owned to keep costs down. My budget is around $1500 (keep in mind I have also budgeted some money aside from the $1500 for a service down the road)

I'm currently interested in two watches: an Omege Speedmaster Date 3513.30 or 3513.50 (love the moonwatch too, but out of my pricerange) OR a Tag Heuer Carrera Calibre 16. I've done some research and found some great options on ebay through the sellers "elady" and "closer0924." Just looking for advice/opinions on what I am currently considering!

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
8,353 Posts
Hi everyone! My name is Mike and I'm "somewhat" new here. I created an account about a year ago but have just been lurking lol, no posts. But I've recently become much more interested in the watch game and I am now looking to buy my first ever premium watch and want to get more involved in the community! I currently only have a Seiko coutura radio sync SSG009 which I like the look of and does what I need it to do. But I want to step it up a notch. I'm a fairly recent college grad (about a year out of school) and recently got an amazing new job. I'd like to buy myself something to commemerate these milestones! My budget is a tad tight for now, but I'm confident you guys can help!!

I'm currently interested in buying pre-owned to keep costs down. My budget is around $1500 (keep in mind I have also budgeted some money aside from the $1500 for a service down the road)

I'm currently interested in two watches: an Omege Speedmaster Date 3513.30 or 3513.50 (love the moonwatch too, but out of my pricerange) OR a Tag Heuer Carrera Calibre 16. I've done some research and found some great options on ebay through the sellers "elady" and "closer0924." Just looking for advice/opinions on what I am currently considering!
Speedy and Carrera Chrono are great watches for sure, but with a budget of $1500 I'd be very careful on the used market.

I'd rather look at e.g. the Tissot V8 or Hamilton Intra-Matic chrono, which will be available in much better condition or new for that price, so without having to service them anytime soon.

Tissot-V8-Automatic-Chronograph-45mm-Edelstahl-schwarz-Lederband.jpg

h38416711_detail_rolledview.jpg

Edit: Victorinor Airboss automatic chrono and Alpina Alpiner 4 chrono could also be options. Bear in mind that these are fairly big watches like the Carrera Calibre 16, so see if 43-44mm actually fits your wrist before you buy. The 40mm Hamilton is a lot smaller.

wat_241597-view1_1.jpg

Alpina_Geneve_Alpiner4_Chronograph_AL-860B5AQ6B_003_HD-lres.jpg

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
Get a Citizen Eco-drive. They come in an astounding variety of models and styles, some that are radio or satellite-controlled. It will be super accurate, beautiful looking, and you may never have to replace the rechargeable battery. You certainly won't have to "budget" for a watch service down the road. Take a look at the Citizen Signature line. I had one that was the most beautiful watch I owned. (Moonphase Flyback Chronograph)

Or, you could buy into the hype of expensive automatics and get sub-par accuracy as well as the privilege of paying hundreds in servicing costs every 4-5 years.

I know my opinion is unlikely to be popular here, but I thought you should hear an alternative viewpoint.

Congrats on your milestone achievements. You are just starting out. IMO the last thing you should be doing is budgeting for a watch service down the road. You'll have plenty of other demands on your money.

Reactions: tekoken

·
Registered
8,353 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Speedy and Carrera Chrono are great watches for sure, but with a budget of $1500 I'd be very careful on the used market.

I'd rather look at e.g. the Tissot V8 or Hamilton Intra-Matic chrono, which will be available in much better condition or new for that price, so without having to service them anytime soon.

View attachment 14246711

View attachment 14246709

Edit: Victorinor Airboss automatic chrono and Alpina Alpiner 4 chrono could also be options. Bear in mind that these are fairly big watches like the Carrera Calibre 16, so see if 43-44mm actually fits your wrist before you buy. The 40mm Hamilton is a lot smaller.

View attachment 14246809

View attachment 14246813
What do you think of TISSOT LE LOCLE VALJOUX CHRONOGRAPH Item number T0064141105300? found this on Tissot's website. Has a similar look to the carrera which I love. Plus I'd save most of the money I would have used on a service? Thanks!

·
Registered
8,353 Posts
What do you think of TISSOT LE LOCLE VALJOUX CHRONOGRAPH Item number T0064141105300? found this on Tissot's website. Has a similar look to the carrera which I love. Plus I'd save most of the money I would have used on a service? Thanks!
You really mean the Le Locle chrono with Roman numerals? I don't think it looks like the Carrera at all.. Are we talking about the same version of the Carrera and/or Tissot?

Anyway, I had the white dial Tissot Le Locle chrono once and found it quite boring all in all. Instead of that one I'd rather look for a Bulova Accutron automatic chrono, which might be available for even less and looks better in my opinion. If you like automatic chronographs, google specifically for watches with the Eta 7750 movement, disregarding the watch brand. It's the widely used Swiss workhorse movement in that category and there's a lot to find.

10b68b1ccb846eb84c1c733ba40cec69.jpg

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You really mean the Le Locle chrono with Roman numerals? I don't think it looks like the Carrera at all.. Are we talking about the same version of the Carrera and/or Tissot?

Anyway, I had the white dial Tissot Le Locle chrono once and found it quite boring all in all. Instead of that one I'd rather look for a Bulova Accutron automatic chrono, which might be available for even less and looks better in my opinion. If you like automatic chronographs, google specifically for watches with the Eta 7750 movement, disregarding the watch brand. It's the widely used Swiss workhorse movement in that category and there's a lot to find.

View attachment 14246855
That Bulova looks nice! I was referring to this Tissot btw

watch.png

·
Premium Member
66,822 Posts
I’d be a bit careful buying something like a Speedy that fitted your budget as you may be opening yourself up to repair costs you can ill afford. Lower your sights a bit and see if you like the look of any Steinhart chronos.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Watches are 90% a matter of taste, so if you like that speedy or Carrera go for it, just be aware of the servicing costs that may be needed for a used chronograph. I’m a fan of Carreras but the last one I had turned out to be a bit big and thick for me to keep for very long. I’m not a particular fan of that omega.

In the ~$1500 range those are good picks for used chronographs if you can find one that’s been recently serviced. I’d also look at the Bell and Ross br126. Great looking chrono that sometimes goes in that range and is thinner and more comfortable than the 7750 based ones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,353 Posts
Or, you could buy into the hype of expensive automatics and get sub-par accuracy as well as the privilege of paying hundreds in servicing costs every 4-5 years.

I know my opinion is unlikely to be popular here
Dismissing the fascination for mechanical movements as a "hype" is the unpopular bit. Here is what your Eco-drive can't deliver:

Junkers_v02.jpg

PD_Dashboard_v04.jpg

LacoLE200_v01.jpg

..and for me, that more than makes up for all the drawbacks you mentioned. Easily. Watches are a hobby, not a necessity.

Edit: Just for the record, I've never seen an Eta 7750 chrono that required a service after 4-5 years. The Laco chrono in the last picture is 9 years old by now and according to the timegrapher, it still works absolutely fine with precision and amplitude running fully within spec.

·
Premium Member
32,648 Posts
Any of ffritz's suggestions would be most excellent, IMHO.

I used have the Intra-matic, and it is an awesome and very good looking, versatile watch.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
It sounds like you might be in a rush to spend $1500 on a watch, which may lead you to compromising in the long run. I honestly don't like much in the $1k-2k range myself, and if I was starting out in your position, I would probably add two $500 watches for a three watch collection and save for a big purchase down the road.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Hi Mousecop,

both of your choices are fine, go with the one that you really like/would wear daily.

Unless you live in Japan, my concern is the seller's location (and perhaps reputation).

Seems you're in NY and both are Japanese sellers, which means;
1. Price may be cheaper, but you'll get hit by custom/duty tax
2. If something were to go wrong with the watch, not sure if you want to send it all the way back to Japan

And in the case of eLady, there was a case where they tried to hide some blemishes - there was a thread here on WUS about it where the OP bought a watch from them and realized there were some blemishes that was covered on their photos on eBay.

There's a number of good, reputable sellers in the U.S., in New York, even. Personally, I would give them a try first and see if you could get a similar price. Buying oversea could get hairy at times.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Congrats on your watch! oh man you are about to catch the bug... I think at $1500, go with well known brands and go with models that do not depreciate as soon as you put it on your wrist. It's very likely you'll trade it up for something else. Omega is not a bad choice. Pre-owned is not a bad choice either but buy it from a reputable seller. You should not need to save an additional $1500 for service right now unless you are buying something very very very old or very very very beat up. In which case, as a first watch, go with something else. Watches from reputable sellers come serviced and with a 1-2 yr guarantee. I would simply add the watch to insurance.

·
Registered
76 Posts

·
Registered
8,353 Posts
Also found this watch I REALLY like the look of. It's the Longines HydroConquest, automatic for $1275 NEW (under my budget, plus no need to plan for service!). Thoughts?
Great watch from a very reputable brand, with only one flaw in my opinion: they should have placed the date at 4:30 and put a propper 3 opposite the 9 to make the dial look more balanced. So personally, I think the Certina DS Action Diver looks better. Another option in the same price range as the HydroConquest might be Damasko. They make super tough watches with hardened cases and great overall quality. You could check out Sinn, too.

C032.407.11.051.10_STC_005-600x800.jpg

da44-75.jpg

1 - 20 of 37 Posts