WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So when I was 9, my dad gave me a Casio DBC-60. I loved it and wore it till it fell off... 30 years later, my 2nd Casio (GW-6900-1) arrives in the mail today.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,029 Posts
Your first Casio in 30 years?!
You should be made to pay a fine! :-d
Congratulations.....don't let it happen again. ;-)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Congrats, that is a great model that atomically syncs much better than most other G's in my experience. Enjoy and let's see if it remains your first and only....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea - I should be fined by the Casio police. But Im glad to be back.

CK - what do you mean this model syncs better than the others? I'm not too familiar with the auto time set function.

·
Registered
144 Posts

CK - what do you mean this model syncs better than the others? I'm not too familiar with the auto time set function.
Your 6900 is more sensitive to syncing as far as placement, so it will sync with the atomic clock in most locations such as sitting on a dresser and not in a window facing out like some of the higher end G's with bigger and thicker cases. That 6900 would sync on my dresser inside a metal tin or anywhere vs my frog and Rangeman which will only sync if placed on the window sill over night. Make sure you have the function turned on and read the manuals that come with it. Also give it a good couple days outside in full bright sun light to charge it fully. 🏼️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good stuff. Yea - I've never really been aware of G-shocks before but after I slapped this thing on my wrist, I didn't want to take it off. Even went to bed with it on...

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Congratulations on the new watch! :) The "fine" may present itself if you hang around this forum too much and start buying another G-Shock or two...or ten or twenty -- it's happened to quite a few of us!

Your 6900 is more sensitive to syncing as far as placement, so it will sync with the atomic clock in most locations such as sitting on a dresser and not in a window facing out like some of the higher end G's with bigger and thicker cases. That 6900 would sync on my dresser inside a metal tin or anywhere vs my frog and Rangeman which will only sync if placed on the window sill over night.
You really can't draw any statistically significant conclusions from the results of experiments with only THREE watches. ;-)

When someone declares the most accurate non-atomic in their collection as the most accurate watch Casio makes, it's not actually relevant unless they own hundreds of each particular model, and when other people report different results from THEIR collection it just disproves their theory.

Based on everything I've read here, there still isn't any statistically relevant data on one "standard" atomic model receiving the synchronizing radio signal any better or worse than any others. Some people report that their [insert model number] synchs anywhere in their house while their [insert another model number] needs to be put on a particular windowsill or needs to be worn on their wrist in order to synch every night, but the model numbers change frequently in different accounts from different WUS members.

While many members DO report that their steel-cased Frogmen and GW-5000 models don't synchronize as well as their resin-cased atomic models, there doesn't seem to be any data here that indicates that Rangemen receive the signal any better or worse than other models. Some report that theirs gets better reception than the rest of their watches, while some (like you) report that it doesn't!

I've got fourteen solar/atomic Casio watches -- they ALL synchronize every night on top of the dresser in my bedroom that faces the signal from Colorado. A few even regularly synchronize while on my wrist, across the house in the computer room, but that's the same "luck of the draw" as with "most accurate" watch in the example above. One of my [insert model number] won't receive in my own "fringe reception area" but two others do, while one of my [insert other model number] will but two others won't. My one [insert third model number] won't receive there at all, but unless everybody else on this forum complains about that model's reception, one watch doesn't really mean anything.

·
Registered
11,498 Posts
While many members DO report that their steel-cased Frogmen and GW-5000 models don't synchronize as well as their resin-cased atomic models…
I had an AWG-100 and older Mudman GW-9000 and my GW-5000 syncs a million times easier than either of those models.

So your point stands, it's all anecdotal.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Congratulations on the new watch! :) The "fine" may present itself if you hang around this forum too much and start buying another G-Shock or two...or ten or twenty -- it's happened to quite a few of us!

You really can't draw any statistically significant conclusions from the results of experiments with only THREE watches. ;-)

When someone declares the most accurate non-atomic in their collection as the most accurate watch Casio makes, it's not actually relevant unless they own hundreds of each particular model, and when other people report different results from THEIR collection it just disproves their theory.

Based on everything I've read here, there still isn't any statistically relevant data on one "standard" atomic model receiving the synchronizing radio signal any better or worse than any others. Some people report that their [insert model number] synchs anywhere in their house while their [insert another model number] needs to be put on a particular windowsill or needs to be worn on their wrist in order to synch every night, but the model numbers change frequently in different accounts from different WUS members.

While many members DO report that their steel-cased Frogmen and GW-5000 models don't synchronize as well as their resin-cased atomic models, there doesn't seem to be any data here that indicates that Rangemen receive the signal any better or worse than other models. Some report that theirs gets better reception than the rest of their watches, while some (like you) report that it doesn't!

I've got fourteen solar/atomic Casio watches -- they ALL synchronize every night on top of the dresser in my bedroom that faces the signal from Colorado. A few even regularly synchronize while on my wrist, across the house in the computer room, but that's the same "luck of the draw" as with "most accurate" watch in the example above. One of my [insert model number] won't receive in my own "fringe reception area" but two others do, while one of my [insert other model number] will but two others won't. My one [insert third model number] won't receive there at all, but unless everybody else on this forum complains about that model's reception, one watch doesn't really mean anything.
Well I should have put "in my own isolated experience, hope you find the same."

Lets not degrade the OP's congrats thread with watch geek arguing and a pissing match. Yes it all depends on different variables like where you live, buildings in the area, electronic interference , closeness to the signal, and change from night to night etc...OP can look in to it. Your in Ohio, half the distance to the Colorado signal than I am (CT) with fewer mountains/hilly terrain in the way so I would assume that's the reason for your results "maybe." 🏼️

OP: Congrats on the new watch again, hope you really like it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Well I should have put "in my own isolated experience, hope you find the same."

Lets not degrade the OP's congrats thread with watch geek arguing and a pissing match. Yes it all depends on different variables like where you live, buildings in the area, electronic interference , closeness to the signal, and change from night to night etc...OP can look in to it.
Let's also not "degrade" the congrats thread with broad sweeping inaccuracies about "best receiving model" either.

Your in Ohio, half the distance to the Colorado signal than I am (CT) with fewer mountains/hilly terrain in the way so I would assume that's the reason for your results "maybe."
Did you notice that I didn't even use model numbers in my post? While my "normal" reception may be better based upon where I live, reception in my "sub-optimal reception zone" probably mimics your own to some degree -- and different versions of the same model watch don't always receive in the same manner! You're comparing THREE watches and drawing incorrect conclusions that may impact other people's watch purchases if they read that one is the 'best receiver.' :-d

6900 trio october '14.jpg

Congrats again on the GW-6900, TNTitan! My three say "hi" (and are neither the best nor the worst "receivers" in my own collection)!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Gang - don't mind the hijack - I'm learning from everything I read!

Mike - love that orange band. Is that a mod? Did the G-shock logo come orange with that watch? Looking good.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Thanks Gang - don't mind the hijack - I'm learning from everything I read!

Mike - love that orange band. Is that a mod? Did the G-shock logo come orange with that watch? Looking good.
Thanks, and yes, that's a mod -- as much as I love the GW-6900, my wrist is apparently more flat than round, which means the strap would "gap" slightly near where it attaches to the watch. This thread has some good pictures of the problem (that obviously only affects a small percentage of owners) AND a simple mod to solve it: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/skinny-wrist-strap-mod-less-strap-gap-more-flex-657372.html

Before I found that thread, though, I found another that talked of putting the strap from another model on there instead: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/gw-m5600-dw5600-strap-gw-6900-a-726621.html That worked pretty nicely, but THEN I read where the most commonly used Casio "strap adapters" would fit the GW-6900, which means that a one-piece nylon strap can be used, which also means that the watch won't fall off the wrist if one springbar should break! (Admittedly, I think I've only had two springbars break in all my years of wearing a watch every day, and only one of those got damaged in the fall. But since I also once spent an hour snorkeling around a rocky beach helping someone else find THEIR expensive watch, it's nice having one less thing to worry about! :) )

Then, thanks to this forum, I learned how easy it is to buy different (and relatively inexpensive) Zulu straps and with those adapters change the look of my watch in 30 seconds without tools...THEN I learned about how easy it is to customize white resin bezels by boiling them with some fabric dye...and THEN I learned how REALLY easy it is to change the bezel lettering with a little bit of modeling paint and almost no skill...and before I knew it I had a hundred different "looks" for my two GW-6900 models! :)

orange 6900.jpg

Here's one more picture of the "orange one" -- I could post a couple dozen more, but I started an album of my different 6900 versions on my "profile page": http://forums.watchuseek.com/members/mike-k/albums/gw-6900-s/

(Then I picked up my third GW-6900 by accident while looking for a gently used solar/atomic on eBay after I found out about "hydro modding" but I won't go into that here -- I'll just post a link instead! ;-) https://www.google.com/search?q=site:forums.watchuseek.com/f17+hydro+mod&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8 )

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Super cool! thanks for the info and all the helpful links. love that look, Mike.

Well - I think this has been a very bad idea all around.. I should probably inform the wife of the future impact of this purchase to her discretionary income... sounds like I'm just getting started.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts