WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The twists and turns in the production of this watch have been interesting, to say the least. As I mentioned, we gave up on the first (or was it second or third) ceramic case company because their sample unfinished blank was unacceptable.

Apparently they have installed new equipment to make big ceramic cases, and they surprised us with these samples today. This design follows the original 41mm case diameter plan.

I don't have any more information at this time, as this was a total surprise to us. I should be able to bring a sample to the DC GTG later this month, and I will post information as I find out more about this, what movements will fit, etc.

Mitch

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is the case that was originally designed for the Ronda 4003.B quartz movement, and if we can't adapt it to the 2824, we will go back to the quartz idea, probably with a tube option. Then we will order a second version made for the 2824/2893, and a third for the 7750, if the movement supply issue improves.

Mitch

·
Registered
368 Posts
cant you just use the same case with different movement holders?

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
That can be done with metal cases much more easily because the tube hole is drilled separately and the inside of the case can be machined differently, but with ceramic cases, it is part of the mold. We are checking to see if we can fit a 2824 in this case. Hopefully we'll know tomorrow if it will fit. If not, we will make a new case.

Mitch

·
Registered
745 Posts
My fingers are crossed for the quartz... but you all knew Id say that! ;)

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update:

At this point it looks like we can fit the 2824-2 or Ronda 4003.B quartz (the movement we originally had in mind for this case). We probably cannot offer a tube dial with the 2824-2, but we probably can offer a tube dial with the 4003.B.

There is a small possibility that we can make two different inner cases, and offer both movements.

More information will be posted as it becomes available.

Mitch

·
Registered
745 Posts
Cool - My fingers are crossed Mitch. I dont even want tubes with the quartz - just a nice clean simple watch with a big date - Appreciate Im not in step with many on how the LM4 should look, but I only want one... ;)

Mitch, it seems you get a hell of a lot going when youre in China, had you thought of setting up a home from home?

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think another trip like this will happen for a couple of years. We'll see.

If we do make a version in quartz, it will probably be called the G-3.

Mitch

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Mitch this looks great! Good to see the LM-4 moving forward again. b-)

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Just playing around I came up with these.

I really like the version below. I think I actually prefer it. :)

Here is the night view of the tubes.

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bad news for the tube guys. We don't have enough room in the case for tubes. They will probably appear first in the new small steel LM-2.

Good news - we will offer the ceramic watch as two models - LM-4 will use a 2824-2 or SW200, and G-3, a quartz 4003.B big date movement.

Mechanical movements are in stock in Switzerland, but the 4003.B may have a several month lead time. We could use the 519 big date, but I hate the way the date goes from 31 to 32, instead of back to 1.

I'm not sure when the watches will be ready to go, but I think 90 days is a good estimate for the mechanicals.

Mitch

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Me too, I like the needle sweep...

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't want to use the same design for both the quartz and mechanical versions. Also, I'd like one or two dial variations for each.

I'm not sure how much time we have to play around with designs, probably 30 days or so.

I think the original design looks good for the quartz version.

Comments?

Mitch

·
Registered
148 Posts
Bad news for the tube guys. We don't have enough room in the case for tubes. They will probably appear first in the new small steel LM-2.

Mitch
A steel LM-2 with tubes sounds amazing and I will be all over it.

I am also really intrigued about this ceramic case LM-4:) I also really like the second hand that Malyel posted. Will you be bringing the ceramic case to the DC GTG?

Gene

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Needle seconds does look better on this watch. The markers on these latest dials are a little big and the hands are too small, but they would look good as applied markers.

I prefer the dial without numbers and don't understand the purpose of a coloured minute track for a quarter-hour. Unless it's just to make that part of the track harder for us middle-aged guys to see.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Needle seconds does look better on this watch. The markers on these latest dials are a little big and the hands are too small, but they would look good as applied markers.

I prefer the dial without numbers and don't understand the purpose of a coloured minute track for a quarter-hour. Unless it's just to make that part of the track harder for us middle-aged guys to see.
I agree with you about the size of the markers and hands. I think the proportions are off. ;-)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts