WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought My first vintage/collectors watch. I had always fancied a tag but after seeing a few in the flesh I decided they werent for me. I love speedy proffessionals but the budget just wasnt there as I am a student and i fancied a watch that had a bit of character and would hopefully last me an age. I fell in love with an omega ranchero and nearly cried when I was just pipped to it at auction it looked pretty original and had just been serviced.

Sadly this left me very impulsive and I bought this... Numbers seem to date it as a 1964? What do you guys think?
It was bought as I like it but I'm not sure if the face is right as most watches of this era seem to be white faced.

Can anybody tell me any more about it and any advice for keeping it in time and in good condition as I'm new to all this: Thanks guys :) DSCF8751_resize.jpg DSCF8749_resize-1.jpg
DSCF8743_resize-1.jpg

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
First, welcome! You'll find that WUS is highly addicting, and you watch collection will most likely grow with the more time you spend here.

Beautiful watch! Is the crown signed (the omega logo on it)? If your research indicates that it's from 1964, it's most likely correct, as Omega kept meticulous records. Tissot, on the other hand, was a bit tougher to look up when I got my first vintage piece, but I digress...

I wouldn't worry about the black dial, as there is some variety with many pieces of the day. The best thing you can do is to take it to a reputable watchmaker and have him/her check it out and clean & oil it. That way you can ensure it'll work for years to come. Depending on what it needs done and the watchmaker, you may be looking at another $100-200 for service, but it'll be worth every cent.

Where did you procure it, if I may ask?

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
The 601 calibre is a great movement, like said have it checked out to see if it needs a service. The hands dont look a bit yellow dont know if previous owner tried to make it look different or if its a bad pic. I have seen different hands used on these.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
I think you should trust your instincts about how most of these you see are silver dials.

This one appears to have been done in a 'railmaster' fantasy style to attract a buyer. The hands and the dial do not 'work' together and you will find these same hands (without the yellow) on the correctly dialed versions.

You will also note, the case is shinny, the dial 'perfect' and the movement plating dull, the steel rusted, and the movement well used in a humid climate. This is always the combination that should ring alarm bells, as the dial is the most sensitive and should be in the worst condition. I would suspect this has come via Thailand or perhaps India, but it is a step above the usual output from India.

I am afraid this watch is far from how it left Omega - and of little collector interest and I cannot share the enthusiasm of the other posters.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but it is better that you know.

Of course, if you like the watch and weren't after a collectible - get it serviced and wear it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Genuinely appreciate the comments guys, I would actually rather know what I've got rather than keep my head under a stone, I will get it checked out like you say and if it is knackered as you suggest it may be then I will get in touch with the vendor and see if we can sort something out and I'll maybe get looking for another Ranchero. If it's still in decent fettle I will just get it serviced and I'll get wearing it, I paid a fair whack for this watch in my opinion so I do hope its ok inside. The crown is signed yes

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
... I will get in touch with the vendor and see if we can sort something out ...
If you can then go for it. I don't know what kind of agreement you can come to but I would try to get a refund. If you like the watch and don't mind the dial...then keep it...but since it was purchased under a different guise then you have to consider whether it's worth it to you. I don't know how much you paid...but I'm assuming a "fair whack" means a nice chunk of change...you can probably get an original vintage Seamaster for the same amount.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Like I say I appreciate the advice and should probably have done my homework a bit better really, at least now I know a good resource of information :) Like I say I'll go see what it's like inside with my own eyes and if it's no good I'll speak to the vendor as like I say I paid a fair bit for the watch (400 pounds to be exact) and if it's not right it's not right.

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
Thats a lot for something that isnt right. If you paid a lot less I would just say keep it sort the hands and you would have had a good running watch, not a right watch but a good runner

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey! you look to have made the same mistake that I have done about 3 years ago. I have bought a really nice Tissot(on pic) from India, i had no idea that redialing even existed :)

You have to spend a lot of time around these Omega vintages, and you will feel inside if you look at a watch which is not correct, and then you can look for the bad part. I have been looking a half a year at these seamasters, to get to know them, so I have made a good decision when I bought mine. Now the only watch I would buy with confidence is a vintage seamaster. The only one... I guess you should also spend much more time before purchasing. Now I am afraid to buy any other type of watch:D

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Hi out there,

my first post contained kind of indirect information, and I wonder why trim was the only who didn't chime in to the enthousiastic discussion.

Instead of my first post I should have written that the watch is a typical Mumbai cadaver: Dial painted similar to the desirable Ranchero, movement in a shape that forbids the use as donor for any other watch - thus ready for the bin.

But my education forbids to write such harsh words, and therefore regard them as not written.

The more polite comment is: The parts of this watch belonged to some watches which were attractive some 40 to 50 years ago. And they are historically important since they demonstrate that even high grade watches don't last forever without maintainance in a hot and humid climate. Nevertheless some parts are so durable that botchers in India can compose watches from them.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
Most people on here have been caught out by a bad watch its just wish people would stop buying watches from there, when I was reading about vintage watches when buying that was the one place I found to stay clear of.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I love the very measured reply but I Will happily accept I screwed. Up and bought a Bombay special... From a place in devon. I presented them with the evidence that was given here and they reluctantly gave me a full refund so luckily I seem to have had a lucky escape. I would still like a vintage watch and I shall be keeping my eye open for another like a nice ranchero or something similar. Does anybody have any buying tips or know anywhere reputable that sell and service vintage watches here in the UK?

Thanks for all the help guys... And yes this forum is addictive and probably harmful to my bank balance in the future!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts