WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I received my first Suunto watch two days ago, a Core Extreme Silver Edition. This is my first Suunto watch, after owning 3 Suunto dive computers years ago.

Anyway, I love the watch, and of course the features, but I was not so sure about the colour scheme. I found in the flesh, the silver bezel looked like silver plastic from a distance, and I felt it made the Core look like a cheap imported VCR. I know some people really like it, but I have to say that the colour scheme just doesn't work for me. :-(

So, luckily in the UK we have a distance selling law saying things bought online have a 7 day "change your mind period", and since the Core had not been worn, I contacted the retailer I bought it from. They were amazingly helpful, I sent the Core back to them yesterday and it arrived with them this morning. They immediately shipped out my requested replacement - a Core All Black military edition, and since the all black was cheaper - they have already refunded me the difference. :-! b-)

The new Core is coming by 24hr guaranteed post, so will be at my house tomorrow morning. I'll post some pics when it arrives. :)

I've considered a Core for ages, and from briefly playing with the Extreme Silver i can safely say I like the size, the comfort, the features, the ease of use, and the build quality. So I'm really looking forward to seeing the all black version, it's quite likely it'll replace my casio GW-M5600 as my daily wearer. You guys have finally won me over!

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
I had one years ago. It is a sharp looking Core. Very versatile and I think the all black color makes the Core look smaller than any other combo. I found a killer deal I shouldnt pass up. I'll probably order a AB Core tonight.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
What mystro?? TWO neg display cores???

This must be a sign of the apocalypse!!!!

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Not two. See me thread below. My buddy was flying to Alaska today on a hunting trip. I showed him the Core Alu last night and he had to have it. He offered me $50.00 over what I paid for it so he could take it on his trip. So right now I am in the process of buying a new one. I found a killer deal on a AB Core so I think I am going to get it. With the money I made between the two. I am gonna buy a orange strap for the black lugs and a new Core and I still will have $100.00 left over.

What mystro?? TWO neg display cores???

This must be a sign of the apocalypse!!!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I thought I'd update this thread.

I tried two different Cores over the course of a week, but in the end both ended up getting sent back for a refund.

The Core Extreme Silver, I quite liked but thought the silver bezel made it look cheap from a distance - just my opinion. So I sent it back and ordered an all black Core instead. The all black looked better, much better, but I had big problems reading the screen. I've had problems with negative displays before, but hoped the Core would be clearer/larger so easier to read. It really wasn't usable at all (for me), which was very disappointing as I liked it otherwise. The features in particular were great.

So after a bit of thought, I sent the second Core back. I have now ordered a Casio GW-9200 Riseman. Although not as cool as a Core, it has the main features I need, is a little more compact than a Core (for me thats good), is atomic/solar, and has a display I can read. Plus I'm a long time G-Shock fan so it's fairly certain I'll like the Riseman. :)

Of course I expect to be outcast from the Suunto forum for this! :rodekaart ;-)

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
Naaa, you just have to get the RIGHT Core for you and your needs.

I too have "issues" with negative displays. The problem is they are SO COOL to look at, but they are simply not as legible as traditional + displays.

Thats why I have two Vectors... one - and one + :)

Most of my fun time is in bright sun anyway... i never have issues reading any of my Suuntos while in the sun. (Core or Vector or Observer).

The Riseman isnt as cool (IMHO) but its a solid watch. The alti is not as accurate and of course you lose the compass feature. But its a SOLID watch. The only issue with te Riseman beyond what I said above is that it is more compact... and that means smaller numbers.

I think I will wear my Riseman today! :)

Oh, talk about HARD to read - displays... dont try any of the MS series of G's... That red lettering in a negative display is EXTREMELY hard to read in low light... But I just cant get rid of mine... its too darn cool!

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I have the Core Extreme Red. Love, favorite one so far. Too bad you gave up the Core's. The Casio's just don't do it for me. They lack a major cool factor IMO and I personally thing the Sunnto's are the better watch. But that's me. Good luck to you and your new watch!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah you're probably right about the regular black Core, in hindsight I should have gone for that one.

Maybe it's a case of 'go with what you know', I've worn G-Shocks since I was a kid (as well as expensive dress/sports watches in the past), so they feel like part of the family.

Perhaps I'll re-visit Suunto some time again in the future, maybe even next week if the Riseman arrives and I don't like it! :) o|

1 - 12 of 12 Posts