WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies if this should be in the Seiko/Citizen area, I'm not sure.

I recently found a Seiko Kinetic SKA515 on the 'bay that was advertised as working but with a damaged crystal. Thanks to the example of my coworker (dnslater here at WUS) I decided to try my hand at very basic watchmaking/modding with the hopes that maybe one day I might develop some actual skill. So, I won the auction for $36 (at the time of this post, the 389 is retailing on Amazon for a hair under $200) and the watch arrived today. My hope is to replace the crystal and have a relatively nice watch to give my 16yo nephew for his upcoming birthday.

I used my crystal press to press out the crystal (novel idea, no?) and all seems well. However, the chapter ring remains in the case. It spins freely but will not come out. From everything I've read about the 007 style Seiko's, I would tend to think that the chapter ring on this SKA515 would also be removed from the front. So, I realize this question is quite elementary, but how do I get the chapter ring out?

From looking at the case, I'm thinking that there may be a ring/bezel type component on top of the case that is still retaining the chapter ring. Does it seem reasonable that this is the case? If so, I'm assuming I can pry it off with my case knife (which freaks me out about scratching the case)? Or, should I use the press again with a larger diameter die to push the chapter ring (and any potential bezel)out of the case?

See pics below and thanks in advance for any advice you may be able to loft my way.

sideWatch.jpg

watchTop.jpg

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
. . . . . . . My hope is to replace the crystal and have a relatively nice watch to give my 16yo nephew for his upcoming birthday. . . . . . . . . . So, I realize this question is quite elementary, but how do I get the chapter ring out? . . . . . . . . .
Welcome to the watchmaking forum. Interesting pattern on the paper towel. If you don't mind me asking, what brand is it?

And you are removing the chapter ring to replace the crystal, is that correct? What kind of gasket did the old crystal utilize? Is the current chapter ring damaged?

p

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response, Pithy. I wish I could provide the paper towel answer, but I was at my office and I'm not sure what our cleaning company uses.

As far as the watch, I actually have already removed the crystal, I was just thinking of modifying the chapter ring to a different color. I'm thinking it may not be worth the trouble, however. The current ring is in good shape.

As for the gasket, again I ask your forgiveness for my lack of knowledge at this point, but it appears to be a black rubber type gasket (I'm sure there needs to be a better explanation here). But, it stayed in the case when I pressed the crystal out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts