WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what company was responsible for the developing the classic Dive watch as we know it today? I know the basic style and design has been around a very long time. Just wondering.

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
I second that ;-), definitely had to be the invicta 8926. The ULTIMATE in a quality Diver!

WHAO... :rodekaart did I really second that? o|

Doxa did have the worlds first Orange faced Diver back in 1967. I am not too sure whether any of the other classics came before this one... Omega SMP? Rolex Submariner? Blancpain 50 Fathoms?

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I think in the mid to late 30's Panerai made divers for the Italian Military.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I'm gonna say that the Russian dive watch was probably in the running. As I'm not well versed with this genre, perhaps someone better educated can chime in?

Cheers!
Bill

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I think it depends on your definition. Omega had a water resistant watch in the 30's called the marine or something like that but it was for swimming and had no timing bezel.

Rolex had a watch with a timing bezel first but it wasn't a diver. I think Blancpain beat Rolex by maybe a year to making the first dive watch by putting a timing bezel onto a water resistant watch and marketing it for diving as the 50 fathoms.

I would say that most people credit either Rolex or Blancpain for the first true dive watch.

·
Aquadive forum moderator
5,648 Posts
I think that it was a combinations of factors that lead up to what we look at as the ultimate diver that we all know and love today.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts