WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, after admiring Doxa's for a long time I am now on the hunt for my first. I may be turning to those on this forum for answers along the way, the knowledge base present here is incredible and never ceases to amaze me.

Anyway, once my Muhle Glashutte SAR is sold the fun begins, unless I can find someone with a Doxa who wants to trade.

My plan is a 600 or 750 series, undecided on which "flavor", any comments on things to look for or avoid would be appreciated.

Wish me luck, Mike

·
Registered
17,513 Posts
Mike,

I think you will find that you will need to make the choice on your first Doxa. yes I said 1st, because you will be bound to purchase and own more and more. I don't think you could go wrong with any of the models offered by Doxa. Do you have a specific need, such as timing short or long events, then the 600 T Graph would do you well. Do you travel much? If so try one of the GMT's. Want your basic do it all dive watch? Then try on of the 750's, just decide if you are a more discrete individual (sharkhunter), or more out there kind of watch guy (pro, carribean, divingstar) etc.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Mike,

I have a few Doxas. All get worn regularly and I love the size and weight of each of them. All are well made and just flat out sturdy watches. You are right that there are a lot of good resources for information on this site, but I suggest reading previous posts by members before taking any advice. Good luck.

Hello all, after admiring Doxa's for a long time I am now on the hunt for my first. I may be turning to those on this forum for answers along the way, the knowledge base present here is incredible and never ceases to amaze me.

Anyway, once my Muhle Glashutte SAR is sold the fun begins, unless I can find someone with a Doxa who wants to trade.

My plan is a 600 or 750 series, undecided on which "flavor", any comments on things to look for or avoid would be appreciated.

Wish me luck, Mike

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I'm probably one of the newest members here, having just bought my first Doxa about 3 weeks ago. I am still learning about Doxa and all the great info on the forum here. There is one thing I do know for sure, you will not be disappointed! I think the Doxa line offers something for everyone, provided that you accept the fact that it will command attention. They are large watches with great wrist presence. The Orange face is unlike any orange I've seen on a watch. It makes the Orange of an Seiko Orange Monster look weak and faded. My wife, who used to be a Marketing Manager at General Mills, says it is very much like the "Wheaties" Orange. Suffice it to say, it is NOT subtle. I wore my T-Graph Pro to a client meeting, and one of my clients was absolutely hypnotized by my watch as I talked and gestured, his eyes following the watch instead of my presentation :)

Based on my short learning experience, some things to consider when buying: (feel free to correct me if I'm worng on any points)
  • Some of the newer 750T's have a thicker bracelet with screw links vs. the previous style with pins and collars. Both styles have their benefits, its up to you which you prefer.
  • When doing a search, I found some info pertaining to some 750T Sharkhunter dials that had weak lume on the indices. I don't know how many of these exist, but something to watch out for if buying a used one, just so you are not disappointed with your first Doxa.
  • In the unlikely event that you need service, Doxa's service is outstanding.
  • If collectability is important to you, pay attention to edition numbers. Caribbeans and T-Graphs (250pcs) are the lowest editions, while 750T's have editions of 1000 pcs combined total for all colours. There are some other pieces from the Sahara Movie that are even rarer, but I don't know the details.
  • Check out Dr. Millar's website for answers to almost all of your questions... http://www.doxa300t.com/
  • It is true, you can not own one Doxa... you will instantly seek a second, third or fourth... it is spooky.
Enjoy the search and buying experience, and let us know what you end up with. I just bought my second and it should arrive any day. I bought a T-Graph Sharkhunter so I have something subtler for meetings :-!

Attachments

·
Registered
17,513 Posts
Mike,

I have a few Doxas. All get worn regularly and I love the size and weight of each of them. All are well made and just flat out sturdy watches. You are right that there are a lot of good resources for information on this site, but I suggest reading previous posts by members before taking any advice. Good luck.

Still a bit bitter I see......:-!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all for the info / advice, I will keep everyone posted on my journey towards Doxa ownership :-! .

Best regards, Mike

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Your personal post is not really a Doxa related issue and by your own standards belongs in the general forum. Regardless, not sure what you mean. Don't care anyway.

Still a bit bitter I see......:-!

·
Registered
17,513 Posts
Your personal post is not really a Doxa related issue and by your own standards belongs in the general forum. Regardless, not sure what you mean. Don't care anyway.
Of course you do!

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Mike,

Remember the 600 is smaller than the 750 (except the t-graph, which is bigger). Thought I preferred the less weighty 600, but now I've gone and bought a t-graph! Had a 750t Caribbean, and thought that was quite comfy on the wrist as well.

What can I say, they're all great! Unless you're sure you want the dreadnaught of the Doxa line (t-graph), you might go with a 750. Being the current model, they're easier to find and of course have the new rubber strap as an option for locking to your wrist!

Of course, then you have to decide: GMT vs non-GMT, pro, divingstar, caribb, sharkie, searambler...

Good luck!
Chris

·
G-Shock Mod
14,197 Posts
When doing a search, I found some info pertaining to some 750T Sharkhunter dials that had weak lume on the indices. I don't know how many of these exist, but something to watch out for if buying a used one, just so you are not disappointed with your first Doxa.
i think those with the hr markers without the black lines inbetween the lume and the markers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts