WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!
I was presented this forum for not that long ago, and I must say it's scary as hell! The watch world amazes me. This is my first post, thread and wish. Help me find my first "real" watch.

I want a everydaywatch that I can use at school, work and with blazer.

This is the criteria:
  • Price range from 400$-1,2k$ (Just so that you wont "troll" me :))
  • Leather strap
  • Clean look
  • Automatic (Right guys?)
  • I would like the watch new, but not afraid of buying used if you have some good ideas.
  • Sapphire

I'm posting a picture of a watch I really like, The Hamilton Navy Pioneer. I really love the navy look of a watch.
$(KGrHqR,!oIFIFin5FyEBSHNB(5ZH!~~60_57.JPG

I know it's hard for you guys, but I guess you know the feeling when you are buying your first "real" watch (I'm a student).

Please use pictures in your answers ;-)

- Long hair, out.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
The wire lugs seem a bit to casual for blazer duty to me. But I like the watch.

Le Locle? 449px-TissotLeLocle.jpg

or the Power reserve model? T006.424.16.053.00.jpg

·
Premium Member
7,000 Posts
Hey Longhair-- welcome! And don't be scared! There's a lot to know (and a lot not to know) but you can enjoy watches on just about any level. We're just happy you're here asking rather than going to the mall and spending $500 on an overpriced fashion brand.

If you like the Hamilton above, my suggestion would be a Stowa Marine.
Right in your price range; tidy without being stuffy, and has a reputation for unsurpassed quality at the price point.
Marine - STOWA GmbH & Co.KG

The bummer, of course, is that you have to wait till November to get it.

Check out other offerings from Stowa, Steinhart, Christopher Ward, Certina, Orris, Ball...

·
Premium Member
71,424 Posts
Welcome to the forum Longhair. Many many years ago I was a longhair too but now I'm a no hair. If you are looking for a place to start the WIS adventure then you won't go far wrong with Tissot or Hamilton as both brands have a good reputation for offering a lot of bang for buck.

·
Premium Member
7,000 Posts
If you like the look of the Hamilton Navy Pioneer, check out the Steinhart Marine Chronometer II. It comes in either arabic or roman numerals, and can be had for around $600. This will be my next purchase. Marine Watch - Steinhart Watches - fine exclusive timepieces

-hayday

View attachment 1206243

I own this watch, and didn't suggest it because (a) it's handwind, and (b) it's a bit bigger and thicker than the Stowa, and (c) you've got a Stowa price point. But if you're looking more in that $500 range, and are ok with something with serious wrist presence, the Steinhart would certainly work well.

1566AEBB-4784-484A-BA57-D202A6178C7A-1915-00000258B5AADA24_zps46845786.jpg

Reactions: Longhairdontcare

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
hullo, welcome to the forum,

cant really go wrong with the Hamilton, the one you presented is a great watch -

any idea where you might buy it, though?
authorized dealer, grey market, eBay, private sellers?

-the safest, and most likely the most expensive is purchasing from an authorized dealer
- grey market usually have much better price, still very safe (from reputable shops), but usually does not offer manufacturer warranty (they offer their own)
- eBay/private sellers, usually the least expensive, but safety is varied depending on the reputation of the seller (note: a lot of brick and mortar shops are selling through eBay now as well), if you're going through this route, know the seller and know the product, dont get sucked in by what appears to be an amazing deal

anyway, best of luck ~

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Reactions: Longhairdontcare

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I own this watch, and didn't suggest it because (a) it's handwind, and (b) it's a bit bigger and thicker than the Stowa, and (c) you've got a Stowa price point. But if you're looking more in that $500 range, and are ok with something with serious wrist presence, the Steinhart would certainly work well.ell.

View attachment 1206530
I really like this watch! If I may ask, how big is your wrist? It looks really nice on you|>|>

hullo, welcome to the forum,

cant really go wrong with the Hamilton, the one you presented is a great watch -

any idea where you might buy it, though?
authorized dealer, grey market, eBay, private sellers?

anyway, best of luck ~
I was thinking ebay. They are listed for 920-950 US$.
Thank you!

More suggestions are highly appreciated. I really like the Steinhartb-)b-)

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
The Stowa Flieger on alligator would cover all the bases. Dressy, sporty, a bit of history (as an original maker of the WWII Flieger) and great value for money.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
1 - 16 of 16 Posts