WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been rather smitten with the DJ for a couple of years (wrong time to desire a Rolex) and so I finally walked into an AD today to check it out, with a slight possibility I'd want to put my name on "the list". Typical story, display models only. A single datejust, Batman, Milgausse, Day-date, sky dweller, Sub, etc.

Getting right to the point, and I'm not trying to create a "bash rolex" thread here, but I left feeling pretty underwhelmed. I'm familiar with the shape of the case and always liked the look of it in pictures, but holding it I couldn't help but feel like it felt kind of dated. Also, the dial seemed kind of "flat", a very low profile with really short indices, logo, etc. Screwing the crown in and out and actuating the movement was OK but didn't give me an inspired feeling about the refinement of the movement or the overall watch for that matter. (Seamaster SMP 300 is far smoother) Also, my bad but I thought the bracelet had the glidelock and all it had was an odd fold out 5mm extension, like a classic dive extension, but 5mm seems like a lot to be a practical adjustment for typical wrist swelling. I'm not sure I understand the point of this feature, maybe someone can elighten me. (and probably will lol)

Also, I've always known Rolex does not decorate their case backs and have seen countless pictures of such, but seeing a completely sterile case in person just left me feeling like they are holding onto a dated aesthetic just for the sake of doing so. It made the back seem "empty" or something. It felt like a lack of trying and/or missed opportunity IMHO.

Again, not trying to bash Rolex, obviously they make a fine watch and I'm not a brand snob by any means. Wear what you enjoy, enjoy what you wear, pay no attention to what someone else tells you you should like, least of all me.

The sales lady was very nice. She said wait times were between 9 months and 5 years for whatever that is worth. Regardless, I don't think she knew much about watches other than the Rolex propaganda that she recited back to me. "904 Oyster steel" "30% more corrosion resistant" "special tools to machine the metal", etc., etc. She politely held my Cartier Santos while I tried on the Datejust and I might have just as well handed her a stick I found on the ground for all the recognition she had of it.

Anyway, I was really excited to go to the AD and check one out in person. It was still a good experience, I mean, I was in a watch store which is never a bad way to kill some time on a rainy afternoon.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I had the Explorer 214270 with the EasyLink (the 5mm extension you referred to in your post). For my small bony wrist, the 5mm extension does not work as an on-the-fly adjustment, but together with adjusting the link count and the micro adjustment on the clasp, it enables a better overall fit (though, I still couldn't get the fit I like on it with all those adjustment tools).

The white dial on the Rolex (same as the Explorer II) can feel flat in person. If you want something more dynamic, try their sunburst models (the blue one is very popular). But there are times when perception can be different from the actual experience. If the DJ doesn't work for you, for that money, there are quite a few options out there!

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
I was browsing the the watch boutiques in the big luxury department stores in Seoul last weekend, everything from G-shock to JLC, Patek, Breitling, Hublot, Omega, etc. Big draw for wealthy Chinese tourists to get their luxury goods.

At Rolex, they stop you at the door and ask what model you're interested in. If they don't have it, then kindly go away. They'll show you a tablet with what they have in stock (6 pieces total, 4 women's in gold, an ugly Yachtmaster 2, and a blinged President) and if that isn't what you want, then get out. I saw four Rolex employees working. Hope they don't get paid commission.
I was wearing my Oysterquartz.

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
My wife has a 31mm DJ, smooth bezel, oyster, black dial, romans, and I like it a lot. It's subtle and elegant at the same time. Your definition of dated is my classic.

The 5mm bracelet extension is a bit much, my wife never uses it, but it's better than nothing.

I don't care for exhibition casebacks and like how Rolex are plain, it reinforces that they're still basic tool watches, be it expensive tool watches.

I also have a 300m and you're right that setting the time is smoother but using the Rolex crown feels more robust to me and I prefer that as well.

At least you got to try one out and drew your own conclusions. As much as I love my Submariner, I've been wanting a GMT II for some time now and also had a disappointing experience with an exhibition model the other day. Submariners and GMTs are similar enough, you'd think if you love one you'd love the other, but that wasn't the case. Bezel action, or lack there of, on the GMT sucks and it felt like sand was in the movement when I was using the hour jump feature.

You may also have a similar experience to what I had with Speedmasters if you every try another. My AD opened one for me fresh out of the box (coffin), I didn't like it at all, and felt rather cold towards it. I went back about two months later, took a crack at a different Speedmaster, exact same model, and absolutely loved it. Bought it on the spot. Go figure.

·
Premium Member
2,825 Posts
The SAs I deal with have great knowledge and have been around for a long time. They ask me to come visit even if I'm not buying. I've bought a number of Rolex from ADs. In general, I'm not interested in the DJs as I've had a couple and I'm done with them. I had a friend I helped hand hold through his Rolex purchase; we went to a number of ADs until he finally decided on a non-fluted DJ41 which he really loves. But truthfully he was all over the map trying to decide on what he wanted including Breitlings as an option.

Reactions: RedDog1976

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had the Explorer 214270 with the EasyLink (the 5mm extension you referred to in your post). For my small bony wrist, the 5mm extension does not work as an on-the-fly adjustment, but together with adjusting the link count and the micro adjustment on the clasp, it enables a better overall fit (though, I still couldn't get the fit I like on it with all those adjustment tools).

The white dial on the Rolex (same as the Explorer II) can feel flat in person. If you want something more dynamic, try their sunburst models (the blue one is very popular). But there are times when perception can be different from the actual experience. If the DJ doesn't work for you, for that money, there are quite a few options out there!
I think I was referring more to the actual height of the indices, etc., being "flat" rather than a "flat vs glossy" look, I think that you are referring to? You are right though, there are a lot of other options. Who knows though, I've disliked things in the past and grown to change my mind about them to actually become quite fond of them. Never say never, right?

I was browsing the the watch boutiques in the big luxury department stores in Seoul last weekend, everything from G-shock to JLC, Patek, Breitling, Hublot, Omega, etc. Big draw for wealthy Chinese tourists to get their luxury goods.

At Rolex, they stop you at the door and ask what model you're interested in. If they don't have it, then kindly go away. They'll show you a tablet with what they have in stock (6 pieces total, 4 women's in gold, an ugly Yachtmaster 2, and a blinged President) and if that isn't what you want, then get out. I saw four Rolex employees working. Hope they don't get paid commission.
I was wearing my Oysterquartz.
Ha! Yeah, I'd pass on that also. Hopefully some day the Rolex world becomes rational again.

My wife had a 31mm DJ, smooth bezel, oyster, black dial, romans, and I like it a lot. It's subtle and elegant at the same time. Your definition of dated is my classic.

The 5mm bracelet extension is a bit much, my wife never uses it, but it's better than nothing.

I don't care for exhibition casebacks and like how Rolex are plain, it reinforces that they're still basic tool watches, be it expensive tool watches.

I also have a 300m and you're right that setting the time is smoother on but using the Rolex crown feels more robust to me and I prefer that as well.

At least you got to try one out and drew your own conclusions. As much as I love my Submariner, I've been wanting a GMT II for some time now and also had a disappointing experience with an exhibition model the other day. Submariners and GMTs are similar enough, you'd think if you love one you'd love the other, but that wasn't the case. Bezel action, or lack there of, on the GMT sucks and it felt like sand was in the movement when I was using the hour jump feature.

You may also have a similar experience to what I had with Speedmasters if you every try another. My AD opened one for me fresh out of the box (coffin), I didn't like it at all, and felt rather cold towards it. I went back about two months later, took a crack at a different Speedmaster, exact same model, and absolutely loved it. Bought it on the spot. Go figure.
I'm very much open to going back and checking them out again. Several times in life I've disliked something only to grow an appreciation for it later on. Sometimes something just needs to "bake in" so to speak lol

The SAs I deal with have great knowledge and have been around for a long time. They ask me to come visit even if I'm not buying. I've bought a number of Rolex from ADs. In general, I'm not interested in the DJs as I've had a couple and I'm done with them. I had a friend I helped hand hold through his Rolex purchase; we went to a number of ADs until he finally decided on a non-fluted DJ41 which he really loves. But truthfully he was all over the map trying to decide on what he wanted including Breitlings as an option.
This girl did say she hadn't been there all that long. An aquaintance of mine has been getting Rolex there for the last 20 plus years that I can remember knowing him. I believe he is friends with the owner. I live in Maine so there is only one Rolex dealer for the entire state which speaks to the level of demand in my area. I'm not shocked that we would not have as experienced SAs as in NYC or London or something of that like.

·
Premium Member
2,825 Posts
I've only been to Springer's in NH . One watch from there and several from Long's.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Trying watches on is always fun, and it sounds like perhaps Rolex isn't for you. I've never used the 5mm micro-adjust. I think my wrist size just doesn't change. Summer, winter, heavy or in shape. My weight has fluctuated the last five years between 185 and 210, and the bracelet never fit differently. My suits, on the other hand...I have two completely different suit sizes for the extremities of that weight range.

I tried on a watch recently that from the pictures/internet I thought I would hate:

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Rectangle

After trying it on, I fcuking love this thing. Picture does it no justice at all.

The hunt/search is part of the fun.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Trying watches on is always fun, and it sounds like perhaps Rolex isn't for you. I've never used the 5mm micro-adjust. I think my wrist size just doesn't change. Summer, winter, heavy or in shape. My weight has fluctuated the last five years between 185 and 210, and the bracelet never fit differently. My suits, on the other hand...I have two completely different suit sizes for the extremities of that weight range.

I tried on a watch recently that from the pictures/internet I thought I would hate:

View attachment 16918001

After trying it on, I fcuking love this thing. Picture does it no justice at all.

The hunt/search is part of the fun.
I've done the same, tried on a watch I thought I would hate (SMP 300 with skeleton hands, scalloped bezel and "dated" bracelet) and now it's sitting in my watch box. Hunt/search is one of the best parts. (y)

·
Registered
Seikosha
1,822 Posts
When it comes down to it, Rolexes are just Lexuses. They are not cheap, but they’re nowhere close to the higher end cars. They’re well put together. Yes you could get more for less.

There’s not much special about them. It’s a solid starter luxury watch. Great resale value.

Being into Rolex modern sports watches, you’re closer to the beginning than the end.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
When it comes down to it, Rolexes are just Lexuses. They are not cheap, but they’re nowhere close to the higher end cars. They’re well put together. Yes you could get more for less.

There’s not much special about them. It’s a solid starter luxury watch. Great resale value.

Being into Rolex modern sports watches, you’re closer to the beginning than the end.
That's an excellent take and perfectly distilled down. I agree 100%.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts