WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here, new to fine watches, don't even know the vernacular yet.

Just picked up my first fine watch, on WUS, an Omega Seamaster Professional Chronometer, 300m, 2254.50. Also my grail watch, I guess - I've wanted one for ages. I really prefer the sword hands to the skeleton, and the 1120 movement to the coaxial. Watch was originally sold Aug. 8, 2008, so two weeks of warranty left when I bought it.

Very poor bracelet sizing experience at a jewelers (Rolex dealer) in the mall: $20, one return trip to "balance" the number of removable links on the six and 12 o'clock bracelet segments (and I had mentioned this initially), now discovered one link is installed upside down, i.e, the back is facing front. Not going back, just ordered some tools. Oh well.

Found a local watch repair shop in the International Agents section of the manual! "The Watchmaker" in Stoneham, MA, is only about 40 miles away; gee, I used to live in the adjacent town!

Set it yesterday, ran very slow. Wound it up (duh!). Couldn't find a "number of turns" spec in the manual, wound it 40 times, i.e., 40 rolls of the crown between thumb and index finger. After 25 hours it picked up 1.5 seconds. Is this good?

Thanks,

jv

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
Yes +1.5 in 24 hours on the wrist is excellent. Congratulations, it is a particularly fine watch and it sounds like you have got a good one. You next task is to post a photo of it!

Welcome to WUS Omega.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Good idea getting the resizing tool. No one is as careful with your things than you are. The 2254 is a beauty...enjoy.

·
Registered
621 Posts
sizing tools are almost a must. one point about balancing the number of links... many people actually prefer to not balance the number of links with the seamaster pro clasp. it's quite long and has a large radius, and a good many people seem to prefer it with a shorter length on the 6 o-clock side.

initially i had mine adjusted so the lengths were even and it just wasn't comfortable. if you find that it's not quite as comfortable as you think it could be, try swapping one link from the 6 to the 12 side.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. When I figure out how to post a pic I will. Looking forward to getting the tools to put the bracelet right. Might also just replace the scratched-up removable links with the remaining unused removable links.

I'd love to see the movement! I will resist the temptation. It would be nice, though, if for no other reason than to authenticate, verify the authenticity. Mine has the red dot intact. In my research I haven't heard of anyone ever faking the red (or blue) dot.

Would like to know if a scratch brush would do the trick on a scratch on the inside of the bracelet on the end piece; a previous user scratched it presumably releasing a spring bar (no doubt with the wrong tool).

In a week or so I know I will no longer care about the scratches!

jv

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sizing tools are almost a must. one point about balancing the number of links... many people actually prefer to not balance the number of links with the seamaster pro clasp. it's quite long and has a large radius, and a good many people seem to prefer it with a shorter length on the 6 o-clock side.

initially i had mine adjusted so the lengths were even and it just wasn't comfortable. if you find that it's not quite as comfortable as you think it could be, try swapping one link from the 6 to the 12 side.
Good point. My guy had all the removable links (which was two) on the 6 o'clock side (ugh). I will certainly try both links on the 12 o'clock side when I get the tool.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Good point. My guy had all the removable links (which was two) on the 6 o'clock side (ugh). I will certainly try both links on the 12 o'clock side when I get the tool.
that just sounds uncomfortable...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Little bit of advice for the sizing. When you do get your sizing tools, assemble the links without installing the collars. I used little bits of blue painters tape to prevent the pins from falling out. When you find the configuration that works for your wrist, assemble with the collars. It saves a whole lot of time and frustration and the crimp on the collars can stretch if sized repeatedly. One of my collars was pretty loose after the third sizing attempt. Also, make sure to mask off any areas that arent being sized to prevent any accidental damage. I had the sizing tool slip and if I hadn't masked the area off, I'd have a nice big nick on the side of my bracelet.

Enjoy your watch! I recently acquired my 2254.5 but my wife wont let me wear it until my promotion. That hasn't stopped me from staring at it every day. I've been running time trials on it and mine seems to like to rest overnight face up (+1 sec per day). Find a good overnight resting position for yours and you might be able to cancel out any gains.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Re: Pic of my Omega Seamaster 2254.50

Welcome here jviss and congrats on getting a "darling" of the WUS Omega forums. Wrist shot looks good don't fret on the scratch no one can see it but you right....if you really want to go at it, a fiberglass scratch pen will do the trick just be sure to test drive it on something other than the watch :) Enjoy your stay!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Congrats on a beautiful watch! I just bought a 2255.80, which is the same case as yours, with a blue dial instead, and a polished bezel. It's a lovely watch, and I am having a hard time each morning deciding which one to wear..the 2255, or my Speedy.

The hands on the 2254 and 2255 are, IMO, the best-looking Seamaster hands ever.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks all for the kind words. It really is nice. I am pleased with the performance, it has now gained just less than 2.5 sec over 72 hours, and most of that was in the first day of use, so it seems to have settled down to about 1/2 sec per day - we'll see!

I may start another thread for this next topic, but as long as I'm here - what do folks here use for measuring and recording your watch's timekeeping? I'm just eye-balling the time difference with using a web-based clock, and recording it on an excel spreadsheet. My reference clock is:
The official U.S. time - clock

It's supposed to be accurate to 0.2 sec.

I'd much prefer one that had audible seconds, and maybe even talked to me.

Any software for tracking watches?

Thanks,

jv

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thanks all for the kind words. It really is nice. I am pleased with the performance, it has now gained just less than 2.5 sec over 72 hours, and most of that was in the first day of use, so it seems to have settled down to about 1/2 sec per day - we'll see!

I may start another thread for this next topic, but as long as I'm here - what do folks here use for measuring and recording your watch's timekeeping? I'm just eye-balling the time difference with using a web-based clock, and recording it on an excel spreadsheet. My reference clock is:
The official U.S. time - clock

It's supposed to be accurate to 0.2 sec.

I'd much prefer one that had audible seconds, and maybe even talked to me.

Any software for tracking watches?

Thanks,

jv
Try dialing 202-762-1069 to get the voice version of the USNO Master Clock. You still might have a slight delay due to the way phones work but at least this way you don't have to keep looking at your computer screen. I ran my time trials with a full wind, sycing up with the master clock every night, then varying the resting positions (crown up / down, face up /down) and found which one my watch liked the best. Run a search on the forum and you'll come across a huge amount of information on resting postions.

·
Registered
641 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
I clock mine with a radio controlled watch (in my sig).

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
In conclusion...

Just received the tools from Ofrei - spring bar tool and bracelet sizing tool. Within 20 minutes put the half link in, flipped another link over to the correct side. Confess I spent way too much time this week thinking about how the links, pins and collars go together, so in practice it was easy. I used a very good machinist's precision vice to press the pins in (father in law was a machinist). You'll also need a serated-jaw plier to pull the pins out once started with the bracelet tool. When done, I recessed the pins using the bracelet tool.

Currently keeping about 1/2 to 3/4 second per day, on the wrist; admittedly a short term trial. About 16 hours on, and 8 lying face-up.

Very happy.

Cheers,

jv

1 - 20 of 22 Posts