WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Casio G-Shock GW-5510-1JF or GW-5510-1BJF

• Total voters
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking to buy my first G-Shock. I've always wanted an atomic radio controlled watch. Its mostly for when playing sport especially when out cycling. I've decided between the GW-5510-1JF and GW-5510-1BJF.

Can I first check that these two models are still in production. Please help me decide between the two.

GW-5510-1JF_MED.jpg

GW-5510-1BJF_MED.jpg

I liked the positive version because its display is easy to read but the display looks like the really low end Casio watches I remember when I was a schoolboy. I liked the negative version as it looked cooler but the display looks really dark and not very easy to read. Do both models have the electro luminescent backlight? Is it possible to adjust the contrast on the negative version?

Please help me decide.

·
Premium Member
13,982 Posts
Get the positive version IMO, if you want to use it for anything other than a bracelet. You will find there are fans for each type of lcd. I prefer positive. I had some negative lcd Casio's and sold all of them.

Answers to your questions: Yes they both have EL. No, you can not adjust the contrast.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I was leaning toward the positive. I also prefer the text on the case and strap in white rather than black as well.

Get the positive version IMO, if you want to use it for anything other than a bracelet. You will find there are fans for each type of lcd. I prefer positive. I had some negative lcd Casio's and sold all of them.

Answers to your questions: Yes they both have EL. No, you can not adjust the contrast.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Definitely the positive if you're going to be glancing quick while moving. There is no contrast control.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Yes, you can still buy both new from sellers. I think price is around $150. I don't know if they are now still in production, they aren't exactly new, but they can still be found.

Positive display gets my vote too, so clear and easy to read |>

This is the non-atomic version, the 3160 module.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Yes, you can still buy both new from sellers. I think price is around $150. I don't know if they are now still in production, they aren't exactly new, but they can still be found.

Positive display gets my vote too, so clear and easy to read |>

This is the non-atomic version, the 3160 module.

What is the model number on this one?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Crater's is a NYC code, good luck finding one below $400 now. I have the BJF in the city code's clothes. While I think negative looks a lot cooler I couldn't recommend it for sports use. I would go with the positive if you're going to be using it while on a bike.

Here's a link to my post: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/my-frankenwatch-gw-5510-a-1046351.html

Final Edit: One more reason to go with the positive and another reason this watch doesn't get as much wrist time as my negative prw-3000, the backlight only lasts 1.5 seconds and can't be changed where the protrek can be set to 1.5 or 3 seconds. In writing it doesn'tsseem like much of a difference but in practice it's noticeable. That, coupled with the fact that you can't see time in all modes (pretty important in my job) have me seriously considering selling mine. But it's just so damn comfortable and cool looking.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
What is the model number on this one?
It is G-5500TS-8, released in 2009 together with yellow version. Not avaliable anymore and prices of used ones or NOS are ridiciouls. There is a DW-D5500, I think its avaliable in grey too, but I'm not 100 %.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
I bought used G-5500TS-9 for 27 Euro and ordered new bezel and strap for 27 Euro shipped.

G5500 02.jpg

G5500 03.jpg

So I will have "like new" watch for a nice price. Unfortunately my 12-years old son fell in love in yellow watch and I just had to give it to him. :cool:
But I wear it when he is playing football (3 times a week). These are the only times when he is not wearing it.

Cheers, Piowa

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
No one has mentioned the DW-D5500 as an alternative. Same greyish color. Not solar/atomic but fairly accurate. for under $100USD
They look good (and inexpensive too) but theres something kinda off about the white inner border...it doesn't match the black bezel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
I bought used G-5500TS-9 for 27 Euro and ordered new bezel and strap for 27 Euro shipped.

o9dNbmy.jpg

View attachment 2371802

So I will have "like new" watch for a nice price. Unfortunately my 12-years old son fell in love in yellow watch and I just had to give it to him. :cool:
But I wear it when he is playing football (3 times a week). These are the only times when he is not wearing it.

Cheers, Piowa
That is a nice watch, can you tell me which site did you use to buy the replacement bezels? Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts