WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow. I've been a member here for a long time and I think this may be my first post. Well, hello all! Glad to be here. :)

A little background: This is my first G-Shock and actually my first digital watch since I was a kid. So I'm a double noob here.

So my order from Botach got here a little while ago. A brand new military Mudman. My FIRST G-shock. I'd looked at G-Shocks forever but never took the plunge. After researching the bajillion models and liking the "stealthing" that people had done I thought the military Mudman would be the way to go for me. After opening the tin my very first impression was "Wow this thing is smaller than I thought." I've been wearing a Seiko "Frankenmonster" and various PAM homages, so my size judgement is skewed lately. After getting it on my wrist it's a good size. Not too big not too small. My second impression was "The negative display is cool". I haven't noticed much difficulty reading the display, but we'll see how things go as night gets here. After trying and failing to operate the watch without reading the instructions, I fought my male urge to throw them away and actually read them. "Oh THAT's why the world time is off" :) My third impression was "Man these buttons are hard to push." Just like everyone said. I'm actually going to boil the bezel in the next hour or so. I can already feel callouses building up. :)

So I'm now a G-Shock convert. I'm thinking my next purchase will be either a Silencer or a Riseman. I would love to have a MIRB Riseman but not for $350.

Now I have a question for everyone. I'm moving to Seoul within a month. Are there G-Shock deals to be had there? I never had much luck finding deals at the Electronics Market when I lived there before. Anyone have any experience watch shopping in Seoul?

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I'm so happy being a member of this club...... :-d

·
Registered
341 Posts
There are a number of sellers on Ebay from Korea with Japan limited models, so I guess the chances of finding good deals are high in Seoul.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm still looking for a place that sells them in Seoul. I walked every inch of the massive COEX Mall underground today including all 10 floors of the Hyundai department store and didn't see a single digital watch anywhere.

Some have suggested Itaewon - but I mostly hear that their pricing is so outrageously inflated that it's just non-stop irritation to go there.

I have one more day here and then fly out to Tokyo. I wish I could find some Japan limited models while I'm here - cause the Won is way weaker than the Yen right now o|

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All the time I lived in Korea, I never found many deals....except on suits. Anything that required tailoring or was made out of cloth you can have made. Most places I could take a picture of a backpack or suit and they could make it. But electronics, it always seemed to be full price.

I gave Porkbullet a tip on the Electronics Market. We'll see if he's able to find anything. The E-Market is so big you could easily blow a whole day.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yongsan_Electronics_Market

·
Registered
116 Posts
Don't think I'm gonna find much today - Gotta spend the rest of my short time in Seoul doing work stuff with colleagues. I don't think I will be able to get out today.

Fortunately, I am headed out to Tokyo tonight, should be a much better selection of G's there. Unfortunately, my fat stack of Won is going to be converted to a slim stack of Yen. :-(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts