WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! Been lurking in this section for a long time, patiently figuring out which GS model I'd like to make my first. Much like a lot of people, I gravitated towards the Snowflake upon discovering GS. Now as I dig a little deeper, I'm considering the Hi-Beat as maybe the better choice for me. Essentially I'm looking for a white/light dial, simple 3 hander with blue seconds hand, about 40-41mm, and with historical significance. Which is the better choice? Any others that I should consider as well?

·
Registered
12 Posts
The Snowflake's dial is just unbeatable for me. And I find the Spring Drive a much more interesting movement.

My vote is Snowflake, but in the end it's up to you.

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
SBGH001 would be your best bet. Checkout the SBGH035 if you're looking for something different. It's a limited special release but on a leather strap if that appeals to you.
Make sure to comeback and share with us whatever you decide to get.
Good luck on your journey. The search is half the fun.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Snowflake's dial is just unbeatable for me. And I find the Spring Drive a much more interesting movement.

My vote is Snowflake, but in the end it's up to you.
Totally. That's the main thing that gets me all of the time. The hi beat dial looks a little boring? Maybe boring is the wrong word though. I'm just not "mesmerized" by it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
3,022 Posts
They are both beautiful watches with significant movements. Timeless Luxuries has done a side by side comparison of the two watches, if you have not seen it yet. I have the Snowflake and could not be happier with it. I also have a GMT Hi-Beat that I truly love as well. If accuracy is important to you the Spring Drive is the way to go, if you can live with a few seconds a day the Hi-Beat is great (mine is +3). I think the Snowflake Dial is wonderful, but as some people have pointed out the that detail can not be seen until you are close to the watch. The smooth sweep of the Spring Drive is mesmerizing, however the Hi-Beat is so smooth compared to a 28,800 beat watch it is almost as fluid as the Spring Drive. The Snowflake is so light it is easy to forget you have it on. I feel that the Snowflake is the more sought after of the two, but in the long run it is up to your personal taste.

IMG_4377.JPG

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SBGH001 would be your best bet. Checkout the SBGH035 if you're looking for something different. It's a limited special release but on a leather strap if that appeals to you.
Make sure to comeback and share with us whatever you decide to get.
Good luck on your journey. The search is half the fun.
Oh wow, never seen that 035. Thanks for letting me know about it! I'll read up on it.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They are both beautiful watches with significant movements. Timeless Luxuries has done a side by side comparison of the two watches, if you have not seen it yet. I have the Snowflake and could not be happier with it. I also have a GMT Hi-Beat that I truly love as well. If accuracy is important to you the Spring Drive is the way to go, if you can live with a few seconds a day the Hi-Beat is great (mine is +3). I think the Snowflake Dial is wonderful, but as some people have pointed out the that detail can not be seen until you are close to the watch. The smooth sweep of the Spring Drive is mesmerizing, however the Hi-Beat is so smooth compared to a 28,800 beat watch it is almost as fluid as the Spring Drive. The Snowflake is so light it is easy to forget you have it on. I feel that the Snowflake is the more sought after of the two, but in the long run it is up to your personal taste.

View attachment 11264362
Yup I've read that article over and over again lol. I do value accuracy but I would be able to accept both specs. I just finished up reading Ariel's article on ablogtowatch about their 10 year anniversary and he said something about picking a watch you love looking at. Apart from tech specs, history, collectibility, etc at the end of the day the watches that stick the longest for people are the ones we love looking at, the ones that "speak" to us when seen. Needless to say I'll have to check out these watches in person and see what does.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Needless to say I'll have to check out these watches in person and see what does.

That was actually my next question if you had seen the watch in person yet. You'll have 2 reactions. The first is that the watch looks even better in hand than it does on pictures. Second you'll wonder why you waited so long to consider a GS in the first place.

Good luck with your choice! Lovely watches no matter what you choose.

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
From a distance or online they seem rather similar but on wrist the look and feel is rather different. I went into an AD undecided but favoring the snowflake. After a couple of visits the highbeat was the clear favorite. Bought it , never once regretted the choice- though the black faced 005 is magnificent as well.

Reactions: MHe225

·
Registered
247 Posts
The fit was important to me when I was deciding on what to buy. The SBGH001 is my best fitting watch. I have a 7 inch wrist. It's a 40/13 just like a Sub, but the fit is so different. The curvature of the lugs and the beveling makes the fit perfect for my wrist type.

I also like the three hander, simple design. And the blue seconds had nails it. (Blue is my favorite color.)

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
It is with great pleasure to announce that I'm now the owner of my first GS, the Snowflake! It was love at first sight, again (seeing it in pictures initially and now in the metal). I love it. Wears much more comfortably than I expected. I've had it for a few days and it's timing at fractions of a second per day. Amazing. Shout out to Rob and his team at Toppers for taking care of me! Thanks Rob!

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
There was a time the SBGH001 was gaining ground as the forum favorite between those two. Some saying that it was GS's flagship model, and it has been heavily featured in their ads. Seems a lot like the Hi-Beat GMT's killed It's momentum a bit. Excellent beautiful classic watch anyhow... Cannot blame you for going Snowflake though; I did.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts