WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been taking my time to research various manufacture brands and narrowed down to the ones I am interested in (Zenith, GP, Jaeger LeCoultre, A. Lange & Sohne). Funds have been up and down so I've looked at both the new and used market and through various sellers. The other day, I was scouring the usual sites and came across this little gem. It's been discontinued for awhile and this particular one was new old-stock w/box & papers. Given it ran about $4000 retail, the $1600 I paid for it seemed quite the steal. As it's been shelved for awhile, I need to take it in and have it checked and regulated soon. What an odd weekend; Mad Men marathon and then finding and buying this watch, haha : )

Also: This 34mm watch is powered by the GP cal.3100. I was very happy to learn that prior to buying.

Girard Perregeaux Classic Elegance 4770 (Classique 95)

GP_4770_2.jpg GP_4770.jpg

·
Banned
381 Posts
Re: First High-End Timepiece: Girard Perregaux 4770 Ultra Thin

I hope you can return it. It's much to large

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Haha, 34mm is as small as I will go ; )

·
Registered
40,192 Posts

b-) Since it's been sitting for some time, it would be wise to have it serviced.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Yup! I was thinking about that prior to purchase. I gave it a test run today: it was running 1-2 minutes slow and finally stopped this evening (oil is probably dried up). The watchmaker I visited this evening to verify the movement quoted me ~$120 to do an internal cleaning/oil service. I'll just take it in tomorrow.

P.S. - I've seen nice pictures of the cal. 3100, but when the watchmaker removed the back and handed the timepiece to me I just stared at it for a few : ) It is a beautiful movement.

·
Premium Member
3,603 Posts

Congratulations on your purchase, it has a Breguet feeling with that dial and those hands...it doesn't look like 34mm though, i'd say more like 37/38mm

·
Registered
1,543 Posts

Very classic and looks great in steel! A very wise choice for your first luxury watch :) At 3.28mm, I'm not sure the GP 3100 movement qualifies as an ultra-thin, but certainly an extra-flat.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Congratulations on your purchase, it has a Breguet feeling with that dial and those hands...it doesn't look like 34mm though, i'd say more like 37/38mm
Thanks! Yeah, I would agree on the perception from the pics. Although, I have a 6 inch wrist : )

Very classic and looks great in steel! A very wise choice for your first luxury watch :) At 3.28mm, I'm not sure the GP 3100 movement qualifies as an ultra-thin, but certainly an extra-flat.
Thank you! That is true, though still quite thin : )

·
Registered
7,751 Posts

Excellent choice, the GP3100 is a well-proven caliber as well. I have two GPs, one with the cal. GP3300 and another with the GP4000 - love them both.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts

Indeed, I have fond memories of a Laureato with that wonderful caliber. Its a not-so-secret secret that the base caliber in my Vacheron Constantin Overseas is the self-same GP movement!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Another wrist shot to show off the blued hands:

GP_3s.jpg

·
Moderator Public Forum
2,879 Posts

Very nice pick-up! Congrats!

·
Registered
7,751 Posts

I have a ref. 9053 (cal. 3300) and a ref. 49570 (cal. 4000), they're both very accurate (under +2s/day with 12 hours on the wrist and 12 hours off).

GP makes a fantastic dress watch, I love both of mine!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Very nice! I wish my model had a display back, but since I've seen the movement, it's kind of a small secret : ) Good to hear on the accuracy; that's what I've been getting from others as well. I'll keep it in mind for benchmarking when it comes back from cleaning/oiling this week! I want something from their 1966 or Vintage 1945 line as well someday : )

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Alright, update from the jeweler; After two weeks, he couldn't figure out what is going on with the watch. After leaving with the watch, I set the time to see what it would do. Oddly, I can now sometimes hear the rotor spinning freely for a few seconds before stopping and the accuracy has been extremely good. I'm not entirely sure what he did or did not do in there, so it's going off to Govberg Watch Repair this week for troubleshooting/repair. Any thoughts on this?

·
Premium Member
21,877 Posts

Alright, update from the jeweler; After two weeks, he couldn't figure out what is going on with the watch. After leaving with the watch, I set the time to see what it would do. Oddly, I can now sometimes hear the rotor spinning freely for a few seconds before stopping and the accuracy has been extremely good. I'm not entirely sure what he did or did not do in there, so it's going off to Govberg Watch Repair this week for troubleshooting/repair. Any thoughts on this?
If I'm not mistaken the GP Calibre 3100 is a unidirectional winding movement (CCW), so it's normal for it to freely spin in the non-winding direction. If he cleaned and oiled the movement, then I don't think there's anything else which needs to be done.

By the way, it's a beautiful watch, and an amazing deal. And, it fits perfectly on your wrist.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

If I'm not mistaken the GP Calibre 3100 is a unidirectional winding movement (CCW), so it's normal for it to freely spin in the non-winding direction. If he cleaned and oiled the movement, then I don't think there's anything else which needs to be done.

By the way, it's a beautiful watch, and an amazing deal. And, it fits perfectly on your wrist.

That's what someone else mentioned. So it sounds like it's mysteriously operating as it should now : ) I may send it in to Govberg at some point, just to make sure. Here are some updated pics from today:

_TBI7252 as Smart Object-1_bw.jpg _TBI7383 as Smart Object-1.jpg _TBI7390 as Smart Object-1.jpg _TBI7398 as Smart Object-1.jpg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts