WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I am in the market for my first high end watch.

I have spent significant time researching each model, have tried them on multiple times, but can't drill down which watch I'd like to go with. I know I probably can't make a bad decision but I'd like to get your feedback/opinions. I really appreciate it.

The three choices are:

Breitling SuperOcean 44 - Black or Blue
Oris Aquis - Black/Blue
Tag Heuer Aquaracer Chrono 44 - Blue or Black
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Product Watch Analog watch Blue Watch accessory Fashion accessory Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

I know they are all great watches and out of the two, the Breitling and the Oris are my two faves. Although, the Tag is still in the back of my mind.

What do you think?

Thanks again.
Jeremy

·
Registered
10,154 Posts
The dial of that Oris is stunning.

I think, for myself, I'd be choosing between the Oris and the Breitling. And, dial aside, I think I'd probably go with the Breitling assuming they felt equally at home on the wrist.

The Tag is nice - but unless the pushers can be operated under water, I'd probably go with one of the two three-hand options. Dive Chronographs that can't be fully functional underwater always seem to me to be a bit of a compromise.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I personally prefer cleaner dials, so for me I'd definitely go for the Oris.

As you said though, you really can't go wrong with any of them. Keep thinking about it, it'll be worth it once you finally make your decision and get it :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you @TheWalrus. That's exactly why the Tag is lower on the list. Although I'm not a diver, know that water could be a potential issue does bother me.

The Breitling is about $1000 more than the Oris, but it feels so good on the wrist. The Oris with the polished finish is a bit shinier then I'm used to but it's just stunning to look at.

Thanks for your feedback!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure what size the oris is but that's sweet , 44mm a big watch that may not withstand time , but buy what u like!
I personally prefer cleaner dials, so for me I'd definitely go for the Oris.

As you said though, you really can't go wrong with any of them. Keep thinking about it, it'll be worth it once you finally make your decision and get it :)
Thanks for the replies. I too like a clean dial, which is what has drawn me to Oris. I have even been toying with the idea of the SuperOcean Heritage. I think buying a watch is harder than buying a vehicle!

·
Registered
927 Posts
You're definitely right about that. I've only got my eyes on one car, but a dozen watches!

The SOH could be a good compromise between the two. The heft of Breitling with a much cleaner dial.

Thanks for the replies. I too like a clean dial, which is what has drawn me to Oris. I have even been toying with the idea of the SuperOcean Heritage. I think buying a watch is harder than buying a vehicle!

·
Premium Member
73,749 Posts
The Oris in the photo is the 46mm Small Seconds in steel and is quite a beast so be sure tho check out the 43mm Aquis Date if you think the SS might be a bit hefty on you. Oh, and no question about going for the Oris in my book.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Either the Oris or the Tag, I'd personally go for a non-chrono aquaracer though.

·
Registered
847 Posts
B all day long! I have had all three watches and if you want something to keep a "good value" then the B is all you need!

·
Registered
929 Posts
Oris gets my vote...better bang per $$$ I think.

The only thing about the Oris that bugs me is the integrated bracelet. I like changing things up every now and then. Although I think I read somewhere that there now may be an attachment available to facilitate strap changes (not sure).

And before anyone else says it...these are considered luxury watches not necessarily "high end". Check out the High End Forum for what is considered "high end".

Good luck...

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
If you're thinking SOH, that's the best answer as others have said. Great quality, great presence on the wrist, clean dial - a real keeper. Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oris gets my vote...better bang per $$$ I think.

The only thing about the Oris that bugs me is the integrated bracelet. I like changing things up every now and then. Although I think I read somewhere that there now may be an attachment available to facilitate strap changes (not sure).

And before anyone else says it...these are considered luxury watches not necessarily "high end". Check out the High End Forum for what is considered "high end".

Good luck...
Thanks for the info! The difference between High End and Luxury totally makes sense. I am coming from the Citizen world but excited about moving up a bit.

·
Registered
5,441 Posts
I too have had busy dials and found they were not something I grew into, all those markers all over the Bret's are why I've never even been close to buying one. So, clean dial is a good thing, however.............

Have you ever had a colored dial watch? I can only speak based on my own tastes and experience; I had a Steinhart Ocean One that came with the green bezel. While I looked at pictures I believed it was so cool and would be 'Me'. Within a couple months I found the color to be something that stuck out more than anything I had ever worn and I changed it to a black bezel. Then it was the shiny ceramic bezel that stuck out. Pretty soon I discovered that I didn't really enjoy wearing a watch that was jumping off the wrist when ever I or anyone else glanced at it.

If you have other watches that have plain black dials then fitting a pretty blue watch like the Oris into your wardrobe may work out just right. If you really like the Oris it would be my pick from the 3, not because I love the style but because it is uncluttered.

After surviving Diver Mania I have settled into watches that have good WR but are more subtle on my wrist. Because I have 4 watches I can choose from I have ordered myself a blue faced watch recently, it will be a while getting here and I will have to wait until I wear it to decide if color is for me.

Oris if you stay this course but maybe black if you have second thoughts on the colored dial.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'd choose the Oris if I wanted a watch that looked fantastic (biased to blue), and was total value for money. I'd not choose the Oris for the bracelet, as I like swapping straps and the Oris' different lugs would make that difficult.

I'd choose the Breitling because it's a Breitling. The resale would probably be higher, and even non-WIS would be willing to buy a Breitling. I'd not buy it as the dial looks like it has the whole manual written on it! Way too busy for a dial, IMO.

In the end, though, you'll have to choose what you'd like. I'm all for the Oris, as it looks way better, but then again. I'm biased to blue.

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
Well,here's my take on the three watches

Breitling has better brand recognition but the dial is a bit too much for my eyes (maybe being a longtime Panerai wearer has that effect on other watches)

Oris looks simple yet beautiful,but changing strap can be a bit of a pain with that fixed lugs,and the solid SS can be a bit heavy

Tag looks nice but as said earlier that the unusable pusher while underwater kinda defeats the purpose,better go for the non chrono version,it has standard lugs too

Oris will be the one on top of my list,followed by the non chrono version of the tag (though brand recognition wise,the Tag will be more famous),with Breitling on the third

I don't really follow the price of these three contenders,but I might recommend the likes of Longines Legend Diver,Tudor BB,Pelagos,Seiko MM300,Ball diver et al that might be in the ballpark (might is the keyword)

·
Registered
424 Posts
I find the Oris to be the most visually appealing of the 3. The Tag has too much going on and while I do like the Breitling, it is a little plain/too similar to your typical diver. Additionally, I think you're paying a bit of a premium for the Breitling name, whereas the Oris is as good (better?) in terms of build quality, mechanics, etc. On top of that, I'm an under-the-radar type, so I'd prefer something with a bit more WIS "cred" that is less likely to be spotted by some rando out in the wild. Again, not to say the Breitling would be a bad choice, but the Oris does a lot more for me.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts