WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone remember their first memory of Casio digital watches?

I remember it was one Christmas (maybe 1981) when I was a kid. I came back from holiday vacation and it seemed like half the boys had one of these. I'd never seen them before. But they looked like "adult" watches, unlike most of the midsize analog watches most boys were still wearing.

I also remember a lot more of them had musical alarms, or video games. But they all looked pretty much the same from a distance. You don't really see many of this type (with strange features) anymore.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Does anyone remember their first memory of Casio digital watches?

I remember it was one Christmas (maybe 1981) when I was a kid. I came back from holiday vacation and it seemed like half the boys had one of these. I'd never seen them before. But they looked like "adult" watches, unlike most of the midsize analog watches most boys were still wearing.

I also remember a lot more of them had musical alarms, or video games. But they all looked pretty much the same from a distance. You don't really see many of this type (with strange features) anymore.
did those boys watches in your school have small marlin fishes on them? like in my avatar? |>

my first memory was my f-91, that my mom bought for me in the lat 80s i guess, i wore it many years and when the band broke i threw it away....

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
6,591 Posts
The first Casio sighting was at scool for me.
I think i was about 8-10 years old.
A class mate had something new for me, a 2 row (date and time display) LCD watch in a very cool black. :p

I guess it was something like the F-91W.

From this day it was a clear "must have".

Unfortunally im lived in East Germany and had to wait until 1989 to get one.
My first own Casio was a F-28 which served well with one battery for more then 14 years. :-!

·
Registered
902 Posts
I was 11 in the early '80ies and it was something very close to the 5600 of course....blackish and squared...nice memories.

·
Registered
766 Posts
For my 8th birthday I got a Casio calculator watch from my parents, I wore it for years, this was then followed by a Casio 'Jogging' watch, after this one I had a Casio Databank and have had Casio's pretty much ever since.

·
Registered
351 Posts
My first time seeing a G was on the cover of a magazine.
Sting was wearing one, prominently displayed. I have no idea
what year it was or what watch but I remember thinking,
" wow look at that !"

·
Registered
226 Posts
My father used to go business trips to Japan and came back with a lot of cool stuff like walkmans,cameras etc.preety impressive stuff for Greece in the 80's.One time he brought me a DW-5000.Didn't care much at the time.I was very interested in basketball so I trade it for a pair of air-jordans.WHAT I WAS THINKING????Couple of years ago I started to buy things that I had as a child(nintento game&watch,walkmans etc.)trying to find my long lost childhood.And then I remembered that cool casio I had.That was it,I was hooked.The rest is history.Cheers:-!

·
Registered
994 Posts
Early 80's. I was in a Target store in Oklahoma, having a battery replaced on my timex. It was a nurse's model with a lapsed time ring, and the clerk broke it getting the old battery out, so she said I could have any watch she had in the case. I had a Casio calculator that I liked, so I tried a G-shock. The lady thought I was nuts to be picking out such a big watch, but I was very hard on watches. The only watches I have ever worn since, except for a very thin Seiko I used to wear to court.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
C-80 calculator watch was my first Casio, way back in about 1981, followed by a DW-1000 a couple of years later. I still have the DW-1000, but I have no idea what happened to the C-80.
It was the 80's afterall....whole chunks of that decade are a little fuzzy.

·
Registered
398 Posts
First casio was a J-100 jogging calculator. Later got the Dw-5000 when it came out. I saved up for a DW-5500 and bought it on a vacation. It never felt too comfortable so only wore it a few times. I put it in The side pocket of my sailing gear bag tucked inside a fleece hat as a spare stopwatch in 1989 and there it stayed until last year when I pulled it out. I got a new battery and it worked great. Sadly my wife gave it to the Goodwill a week or two later because I was not really into "old" watches. I can only assume somebody got lucky and likely a great deal on a near mint "G-Shock II"

·
Registered
721 Posts
First casio was a J-100 jogging calculator. Later got the Dw-5000 when it came out. I saved up for a DW-5500 and bought it on a vacation. It never felt too comfortable so only wore it a few times. I put it in The side pocket of my sailing gear bag tucked inside a fleece hat as a spare stopwatch in 1989 and there it stayed until last year when I pulled it out. I got a new battery and it worked great. Sadly my wife gave it to the Goodwill a week or two later because I was not really into "old" watches. I can only assume somebody got lucky and likely a great deal on a near mint "G-Shock II"
:-( After finding out how much these vintage good condition 5500's go for on the 'bay a few months back, I really felt sorry for you having heard your story. But if life for you is good, then it's a no biggie.

On-topic:
As for my first impressions; cool, cheap, and "in"...80's afterall.

My first memory was either an F-91w or one of its predecessors...or one of those vintage calculator models...

·
Registered
737 Posts
My first impression was actually very negative and it took about 15 years for me to buy another.

First Casio I had was actually a cheap-o basic model. This was the era where I wore a timex triathlon (black orange and grey model) with the two stop/start reset buttons on the front - absolutely fantastic watch. The Casio did not perform up to par with my timex as it got water under the crystal. I bought another Casio, it was a soccer timer sport watch and the front button on it become loose and pressed unevenly. So then after that I never bought another Casio for quite some time.

Now mind you I did not buy a G-shock, just basic Casio models. I decided to give G shock a try after wanting a tough digital watch and having a timex triathlon break on me. Now of course my opinion on them has changed although I'm not sure how a non G or pathfinder watch would be.

·
Registered
48 Posts
This was the first Casio that I ever owned

It was also the last one. Not because I hated the make, simply because I fancied a change. I replaced it with a Seiko, then a Citizen and, finally, with my speedmaster.

So, what became of my Casio? Well, it sits in a drawer and is used occasionally when I don't want to mess up my newer watches (as the splatter of emulsion paint shows).

The most incredible thing is that the watch is 30 years old and still runs with the original battery!

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
The first Casio sighting was at scool for me.
I think i was about 8-10 years old.
A class mate had something new for me, a 2 row (date and time display) LCD watch in a very cool black. :p

I guess it was something like the F-91W.

From this day it was a clear "must have".

Unfortunally im lived in East Germany and had to wait until 1989 to get one.
My first own Casio was a F-28 which served well with one battery for more then 14 years. :-!
You had to wait till the 'wall' came down before you could get a G? Classic. b-)

For me it was in high school seeing kids wearing those calculator watches which actually turned me off Casios initially. My first watch was a Pulsar digital, which in hindsight was probably a copy of an early Casio. :think:

·
Registered
398 Posts
:-( After finding out how much these vintage good condition 5500's go for on the 'bay a few months back, I really felt sorry for you having heard your story. But if life for you is good, then it's a no biggie.

On-topic:
As for my first impressions; cool, cheap, and "in"...80's afterall.

My first memory was either an F-91w or one of its predecessors...or one of those vintage calculator models...

My fault for not putting it in a safer place- I never told her what it was worth. That is life.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Cheating as maths using my Casio calculator watch aged about 8...:-!b-)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Probably about 1980 or so when the first Marlins came out. I saw them advertised in Skin Diver magazine. I remember thinking only a nut would take a digital watch underwater. How times change. A friend of mine still wears his Marlin daily on dive jobs. I've tried to talk him into parting with it. He won't give it up for anything.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I remember getting my first Casio as my Bulova Accutron really took a beating. I needed a watch for my active lifestyle. The G Shock fit the bill really well. The first one I wore for six years and sold it $16 less than what I payed for it.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Sure. 1979. I was wearing a Mercury Time LCD my uncle had given me when I saw an ad for a Casio Universal Calender, probably in an in-flight magazine or some electronics mag. It was just simply the coolest thing ever. This was a time when men (like my Dad) were attaching little tin calenders to their wristbands and here was a digital watch that actually had a full calender onscreen! I wasn't aware that there were other watches with the same feature and I'd never heard of Casio, can even remember wondering if this Casio thing would be any good! Bought it that Christmas, the 79QS-39, and wore it for 5 years.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts