WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Tudor BB58 | GS SBMG239 | Longines Spirit'20 42mm | CW C65 SH21 LE | Seiko SARB017
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

Was thinking if I actually may write something on that one and decided that it could well be worth reading for somebody like myself

So, I hope you’ll enjoy my story!

Closer to the end of the year I was considering to make a purchase.
Things on the radar were completely different from each other - on one side there were Rolex Explo 16570 black or a Blue Datejust with fluted bezel, or a Tudor 79190, on the other - a couple of Omegas, like Speedy + Used Seamaster 300m (not the “Bond” one).

And then this happened:

Dont know what has attracted me in the first place - the dial color, that gold GS logo against blue, all together. But that release sparkled something.
I wasnt on the way to another GS as I already got that Hodinkee SBGM239 so just admired that limited anniversary edition, new movement, case and etc.
However that sparkle switched something on and that grew inside me steadily

Fast forward a few weeks into December and I’m ordering that GS with a feeling that “for the sake of it - this one I must get now, others I’ll get when I get”

Dont know how that happened, but here I am, wring my story about this grail piece (for me, obviously) and my feelings

I’ll split the further text in 3 sections:
Watch

Bracelet

Personal feelings

So the WATCH
I’d like to start with the fact that this one is an example when presentation photos really do provide a real picture of what you’re getting.

The dial is deep. Like really deep. The dial color from press release is not “photoshoped” and depending on light conditions fades and shines

It switches color from a very “full” creamy or muted blue to just an explosion of blue.
If there is a “blue watch monday” thingy - that GS fits among top 5-10 pieces to really drive that hashtag.

To continue about the dial - the broader indices make a huge difference against regular GS models. The watch looks bolder, some would say less intricate and more sporty (and I agree), but it doesnt take from the watch anything, I would argue that this example is the nice take on what could become in the future a Rolex OP from GS. It reminds of GS huge GMT divers, yet it’s more subtle, reminds of regular high-beats, but it is way more advanced in every aspect.

By the way, that wide 12 marker somehow reminds of the way Rolex places their crown at 12. I also think that bolder indices are here not only “just because why not” or for the sake of it.

Here is a shot next to SBGM239 and a pic of OP.
You can easily see the placement difference - SBGM is more of a classics, SLGH is an up-to-date version of GS
And loom how 12 marker dominates the dial, very close to the Rolex crown showing its presence on the dial with markers radiating from it.

Of course it’s just my personal opinion, but looks interesting!

There is one more thing to that dial - how it reflects the light from indices. For some reason those indices are reflected in the crystal multiple times and that creates an interesting effect of running reflections when you turn the watch.
Unfortunately I cant insert a video, so hoping you’ll get what I’m talking about from the pic below (I’ve underlined with red)

Talking about the case, as expected from GS - the case finishing is immaculate. If you think you’ll get something similar from any other brand - you’re thinking way above similar price point.
Sharp angles, transitions, lines - everything here is very intuitive and “simple”, however execution is on a completely different level.
Just look at those lugs!

I wont be discussing new case design and technical specs, as there is a lot written about that and I wont bring anything new, but I want to tell you that if that limited edition is a representation of what’s to come with this new design language for the upcoming high-beat models - fans should be extremely pleased.

Speaking of high-beat, the movement is indeed beautiful

BRACELET

For some strange reason there is not so much love shown to the watch bracelets. Only a few youtube channels in fact say some really useful information about the bracelet.
Tim from Watchbox said this bracelet is on another level against other GS and I tend to agree with him.
Yes - there are no micro adjustment holes on the clasp.
Yes - it’s all satin finished
Yes - it’s a huge step up for GS bracelet game

Personally I pay a huge portion of attention to the bracelet apart from the watch itself. In the end you get the watch off and on, so it makes sense to investigate how it’s done and how it feels.

That’s a 5 link bracelet, all satin finished and with adjustment links fixed with screws. It’s easy to adjust and feels way more comfortable than SBGM239
The quality of finishing is, I’d say, matching the level you would expect it to be and the only thing I can put as a concern - is that there is still a way to go to reach Rolex or Tudor in terms of how firm the bracelet feels.
I believe this bracelet is the best from what GS have done, at least from the multiple models I’ve tried, yet my BB58 bracelet feels slightly more smooth and, probably, more “precise” if I can describe it that way

The clasp is fine, not bad, could be better, however it is already way better than SBGM239.
SBGM bracelet feels relatively cheap compared to this one and that’s totally fine considering price differences. I just hope some day we’ll get all GS bracelets of the same quality level.
This example is wide, smooth, looks and feels more silky and friendly, more reliable
Oh, and well that gold GS insert is a nice touch!

PERSONAL FEELINGS
Many would say that I have to live with the watch for a few weeks to fully understand all the ins and outs of the piece, but I can provide a few observations already now
To tell you how it feels, the only comparison coming to my mind is “SARB ON STEROIDS” and somewhat close to Longines Spirit 2020 42mm I have as my daily companion.
That’s not a disadvantage, not at all, just my kind of explanation taking the reference I have and know well.

The watch sits a bit wide, like Spirit 2020, not thick but wide. It’s sporty and hugs my wrist gently like Sarb. There is a nice weight to the watch, like Longines, however thats not Rolex 216570, not even close, and at the same time it reminds you that it has some wrist presence.

Together the watch, bracelet and dial make a huge leap forward in terms of quality you’d expect to receive from GS.

Hope that info would help somebody someday and thanks for reading!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for review, enjoyed reading, especially pics of the dial in different lighting. That is one special LE watch. Those broader hour markers (12 especially) and broader hour hand have some seriously commanding and authoritative presence. Congrats and wear in good health

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Nice review. I did not get this one as my heart was drawn to the SLGA001 more because of the Spring Drive and the dial it was more captivating to my eyes.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
344 Posts
Definitely a nice piece, thanks for the write up. Do you happen to know the lug to lug dimensions?

Snowflake was too large for me otherwise it would’ve been my GS. Instead I went with a blue GS quartz GMT at 39mm.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Finally the SLGH003 in a private presentation, thanks.
Thanks for the pictures and sharing your impressions of the watch and the bracelet with us.
I am a little put off by the very present indices at 12 o'clock.
The comparison with Rolex and the crown lags a little here. The dial should have been designed completely different if you want compare with a Rolex Dial and the crown shown at 12 o‘clock.
Also a pity, about the GS sign on the clasp could have quite accommodate a mechanism for fine adjustment - see GO (Glashütte Original).
But that there is no fine adjustment, not yet, we have all been aware.
I'm more interested in what your impression of the movement is, such as the winding behavior, the accuracy, and the power reserve - how much it actually is. GS is usually reserved with the information.
I particularly like the limitation number of your watch, would have reference to my car from Zuffenhausen. 😉
Wish you long joy with the jewel.
I will still have to wait for a boutique presentation due to the lockdown....

·
Registered
Tudor BB58 | GS SBMG239 | Longines Spirit'20 42mm | CW C65 SH21 LE | Seiko SARB017
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you happen to know the lug to lug dimensions?
Lug to lug is 47mm according to Tim’s review, I’d say on the shorter end

As far as I remember the regular snowflake - this sits better at least visually. I think because of the lug design

·
Registered
344 Posts
Lug to lug is 47mm according to Tim’s review, I’d say on the shorter end

As far as I remember the regular snowflake - this sits better at least visually. I think because of the lug design

Thanks, yes the Snowflake to me wore as large as a Rolex OP 39mm, a little large for my 6.25" wrist.

·
Vendor
Omega/Tudor/Breitling/Grand Seiko/Tag Heuer/Montblanc/Hamilton/Seiko
251 Posts
Congrats, great post and review! I got to see one myself last week when a customer picked up. I wish I would have been able to spend a little more time with it and grab photos but that wasn't the case. My initial impressions were extremely positive. Loved the blue dial, indices, case and bracelet. My only gripe for my smaller sized wrist is I would have loved to have seen the bracelet taper. I think a tapering bracelet and micro adjustment would be about perfect!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am a little put off by the very present indices at 12 o'clock.
The comparison with Rolex and the crown lags a little here. The dial should have been designed completely different if you want compare with a Rolex Dial and the crown shown at 12 o‘clock.
Yes, not insisting on that comparison by any means.
I was looking at it and asking myself why this reminds me of Rolex, may be not even reminds but rather hints towards that direction.
Trying to analyze this “why” I came to a point of broader indices and 12 marker in particular. I can easily be wrong and that’s just an overall sporty look and feel of the watch with all the details all together that gave me that impression

GS are standalone in their design and kind of separate for me.
This one example is the first that to my eye has that slight and ghostly “Swiss” tint.

Also a pity, about the GS sign on the clasp could have quite accommodate a mechanism for fine adjustment - see GO (Glashütte Original).
But that there is no fine adjustment, not yet, we have all been aware.
Well, yes... bracelet is still the uphill battle for GS. I know A LOT of people just swap bracelets immediately for straps. Like A LOT of people. Probably for resale value opportunities further, dunno
Probably that’s one of the reasons why GS is not in a hurry to step into high end bracelet manufacturing. I cant believe they dont have tech and finance to develop a nice example.

I’m not one of those strap folks and bracelet for me is the exact same part of the watch as a bezel in a diver, or crown action or chrono pushers etc. On SBGM it feels like somebody has taken a random bracelet and fit the watch.
Here - it IS part of THAT watch. All the absence of micro adjustments etc - you see it before purchase, so you mentioned it correctly that you’re aware of what we’re going to get. Take or pass - customers choice.

It might well be that Seiko corp. has enough stock of other bracelet parts to last for another year or 2 might be something else... no idea.
A good sign is that we actually have a completely new bracelet and it’s an improvement over previous versions.
And I truly believe that if and when they decide to make an improvement - we’ll get the best in class stuff.

I'm more interested in what your impression of the movement is, such as the winding behavior, the accuracy, and the power reserve - how much it actually is. GS is usually reserved with the information.
Ah yeah, haha, finally another one like me going into more details.
About winding - I dont own a lot to compare with. I know a few modern Omegas have a really nice winding “texture”, but I tried only some from the 5-10 years ago and this GS is better

From what I have now, the smoothest winding has Longines Spirit 2020. I’m serious, go and try it.
The way crown pops from it’s place and the texture it has while winding, it’s subtle and clear resistance - just top notch. Every now and then somewhere on the train or thinking about some stuff I find myself winding my Longines.

This watch is different, I cant say it’s better or worse. It’s different. I like Longines more, you might like something else.

Winding is firm, resistance is constant, the clicks are pronounced and “clicky”.
Comparing it to SBGM - SBGM feels a bit more loose, or simple in other words, this one feels firm and precisely refined.

Power reserve not able to tell as of now, probably will check later next week.

Accuracy as of today according to Toolwatch app is +0.7 and I’m measuring it again

Zuffenhausen.

I will still have to wait for a boutique presentation due to the lockdown....
Charged or naturally aspirated?)

Boutique AD at my place didnt have it and their pricing policy is insane. Exchange rates manipulation at my place is a true roguery. To give you an idea - the upcharge at local AD is around 500-600$ over 4500$ watch only because of exchange rates implemented.
So I bought mine in blind over the internet and didnt have any presentation unfortunately)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey, thanks for your long and detailed reply.
About the points.
I have been clear that you do not want to directly compare a Rolex dial with a GS. You also need to know that GS is taking a new approach to the design of the dial and the design of the hands. Not least because of a different designer at GS, at least that's what I read somewhere in a trade magazine.
I don't think that the question of whether a clasp should have a fine adjustment is related to the fact that you can sell your watch again without major problems. Nevertheless, an interesting thought, I have not yet heard, but could well be that the Japanese think so.
I own two watches from GS, both bought in the last half year, SBGJ237 and SBGA407. It is sometimes problematic to find the right, not interfering seat on the wrist. Especially with the heavier SBGJ237,right, I knew that there is no quick adjustment. Nevertheless, it would have been unequally more on the wrist if it had not annoyed me more often. In addition, it must be known that my wrist swells more during the day depending on the situation.
However, if one continues your argument consistently that one wants to counter the handle with the watches by not integrating a fine adjustment in the clasps, then that would be absurd, at least for the watches on the leather strap. Because here the strap is so long that you could also tie it around your neck, so for everyone something😉
But I would, sorry if I have to say so, a 0815 caliber from the Swatch Group in the Longines not want to compare with the caliber from the GS.
Nevertheless, the Longines has its justification.
The Zuffenhausen car is an air-cooled boxer engine, if that was the question. It is neither charged or naturally aspirated🙄
The car is from 1996, the internal model designation is, 993😁.
I hope I can still look at the watch. Buying before I have seen it, or even tried it on, no I don't buy that way.
Even though I can send everything back again within 14 days when buying online😉.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hm, no, I'm not comparing dials. As I said it reminds me of, but there is nothing to compare really.

interesting info about new designer at GS, if that's the case - 2021 should be interesting

Again - not comparing Longines caliber with top of the line GS novelty. You asked how is the winding - I gave you the reference point you can check easily.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello again.
Well, in a way you are comparing. That doesn't mean that you also finally evaluate it and give preference to one or the other manufacturer based on design elements.
But let's leave that, is another topic.
I have looked for you. The young designer Kiyotaka Sakai is responsible for the changes for the 60th anniversary of the double index at 12 o'clock, as well as for the change of the hands.
I think we have talked past each other with regard to the winding of the caliber. I'm more interested in how fast or how easily the caliber winds. Not how it behaves in the manual winding😉

·
Registered
181 Posts
Overall design, I think, may have been inspired (either consciously or subconsciously) by Gundam!
1) Angled, wider dial hands
2) Unmistakable Gundam blue
3) Addition of gold and red.

Sunrise Launches New Gundam Channel On Youtube

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just want to thank OP for the detailed write up and pictures etc.

This watch really calls out to me in so many ways... the new design is such an interesting blend of restraint and conservatism but then that boldness in the hands/indices w their substantial width.

The colors are great, and then I don’t know even what to say about the movement, it’s specs, it’s innovation, and it’s beautiful finishing... just brings so much to the table.

I have two “nits” on this watch... the first one more about me being weird and not a serious one, the second more serious:

1) I have two GS from right before the switch from the “seiko” to “gs” logo (SBGA125 and SBGH039) and i must say this new watch would look AMAZING w the old Seiko logo on it, though it looks fine w the GS too... (I wonder if I’m ever going to get over this!).

2) something about all the wording on the rotor is annoying me a smidge, especially since it’s sitting on top of just basically infinite beauty in terms of the rest of the movement you see through the caseback. I wonder if later models of the movement that aren’t part of this anniversary series might have a simpler, but hopefully still open rotor, that doesn’t distract whatsoever.

OP, enjoy this piece to the fullest!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Overall design, I think, may have been inspired (either consciously or subconsciously) by Gundam!
1) Angled, wider dial hands
2) Unmistakable Gundam blue
3) Addition of gold and red.

Sunrise Launches New Gundam Channel On Youtube
Interesting point!
May well turn out that it’s not far from the truth!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just want to thank OP for the detailed write up and pictures etc.

This watch really calls out to me in so many ways... the new design is such an interesting blend of restraint and conservatism but then that boldness in the hands/indices w their substantial width.

The colors are great, and then I don’t know even what to say about the movement, it’s specs, it’s innovation, and it’s beautiful finishing... just brings so much to the table.

I have two “nits” on this watch... the first one more about me being weird and not a serious one, the second more serious:

1) I have two GS from right before the switch from the “seiko” to “gs” logo (SBGA125 and SBGH039) and i must say this new watch would look AMAZING w the old Seiko logo on it, though it looks fine w the GS too... (I wonder if I’m ever going to get over this!).
Thanks for taking time to read this!
After a few days I tend to think that main boldness of the watch comes from the hour hand and indices come only at a second place here.
The hour hand is wide, has this separating middle grainy line which together with those cut ends make it look just really bold and broad.

Somehow I imagined this watch with Seiko 5 logo in gold - that “superman” styled “S”))

2) something about all the wording on the rotor is annoying me a smidge, especially since it’s sitting on top of just basically infinite beauty in terms of the rest of the movement you see through the caseback. I wonder if later models of the movement that aren’t part of this anniversary series might have a simpler, but hopefully still open rotor, that doesn’t distract whatsoever.
This watch in fact has a strangely long name)
I agree that limited-edition-blah-blah wording on the rotor is kind of an unnecessary surplus.
But that’s an anniversary model, so they can do whatever and it would be acceptable.

For me it’s very close to Omega Speedmaster Tokyo editions - watches are fantastic and you dont see the Olympics 2020 logo very much, but the fact it’s there might be annoying to someone.

I dont think they’ll have a separate and not skeletonized rotor for regular models. Cutting out or adding metal makes a huge weight reduction and winding might be affected, if so - I would assume a lot of calculated outcomes would need a second Iteration in this case.
At least I would think that with such refinements you’ll have to dive into that kind of details and here it’s all precalculated precisely.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks for the write up.
Congratulations what a stunner of a watch!
I had the pleasure of trying it on at my local boutique it was just divine but unfortunately the watches are all sold now hopefully I can find one overseas.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts