WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1950's Lord Elgin 30 Jewel

10KT Gold Filled, domed crystal, 36mm long and 29mm in diameter. Crystal will need to be replaced, and of course a service will be needed. I will be interested to see the movement once I get the watch; I am going to assume for now it's an Elgin 760

(Sellers Pictures)

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine says hello
Yours looks to be in good shape. My incoming is a little rough all around.

Congrats~ ;-)
Thank you.

No I didn't bid. I was going to bid on the assumption it was a 760, but I have been getting a bit of pressure to cut back on the spending of late :rodekaart
My philosophy is to keep the SO and myself from looking at the bank accounts. So far it's working pretty well.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Nice one! The crystal looks like it might respond to some judicious polishing. But NEW is better.
I did learn recently a new crystal allows you to see every imperfection on the dial 10 times more clearly! :-!

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice one! The crystal looks like it might respond to some judicious polishing. But NEW is better.
I did learn recently a new crystal allows you to see every imperfection on the dial 10 times more clearly! :-!
Yes a new crystal does allow that. :) It's one of the downsides. Hopefully the dial is in better condition than the crystal.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
And it's only the "first" incoming of the week? I would be very happy if this was "the" incoming of the week. Nice watch...congratulations.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And it's only the "first" incoming of the week? I would be very happy if this was "the" incoming of the week. Nice watch...congratulations.
I have a few coming from overseas and one that should arrive tomorrow. The best thing about buying vintage watches is you can usually get a great deal if you have the patience. Thank you for the compliment.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Back it goes to the seller. Watch needs more than a basic servicing. To get it running will cost me over $200.

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
That's very disappointing for you. <| Good thing you have a spare watch.|>

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's very disappointing for you. <| Good thing you have a spare watch.|>
Yea it's unfortunate as I was hoping it was a 760, but now that doesn't matter. I did receive this one back from a servicing today. They had it for a month.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Back it goes to the seller. Watch needs more than a basic servicing. To get it running will cost me over $200.
Egad! Lucky escape for me, as international freight is a killer - basically ruling out returns on cheaper watches like this one.

Sorry to hear it was a bad 'un. What was the movement, and what was actually wrong with it? Details please :-!

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Egad! Lucky escape for me, as international freight is a killer - basically ruling out returns on cheaper watches like this one.

Sorry to hear it was a bad 'un. What was the movement, and what was actually wrong with it? Details please :-!
The movement needed a complete overhaul and the stem was glued into position. I like the watch, but not enough to spend $200 on a repair for it. I told my watch maker to not even bother with it. I wrapped it back up and I am awaiting word from the seller.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm curious if this was a purchase from the bay. Did the seller not fully disclose what was wrong?
The seller said it was working when he shipped it. He is allowing me to return the watch for a full refund. So it's not all bad. I can now purchase a Tissot Seastar I've had on my watch list for a few days.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Goldstein, I would love to see a group shot of your collection! We have similar (excellent) taste in watches!! :-!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts