WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

After some 5-6 years of looking at luxury watches, I now finally joined the Rolex club.

Yesterday I picked up my new OP 36 in Bright Blue. :)

One of my first photos:

I've been looking at a large number of different watches, since my fascination of mechanical watches really started to grow about 5-6 years ago. Mainly from Omega, Tudor and Rolex, but also brands as Cartier and IWC have been considered.

But it's not until now, I felt I could use that kind of money on a watch. My first love was the Planet Ocean, but today that's was never an option - it's just too big and chunky for me, as are most other Omega watches. Same with the Explorer 2 Polar, which was also a favorite for some time.

About two years ago I found my late granddads old manual Lanco watch, and had it serviced. It's a 34 mm watch from the late 1960s. At first I thought it would be way too small, but after wearing it some time, I kind of got used to it. It was also at this time I started looking at smaller luxury watches.

When the new OPs were presented last year, it was love at first sight. I knew this was going the be my first luxury watch. The rather small size with a new movement with the longer power reserve, was just what I had been waiting for.

At first my preference was the silver dial. But after it started showing up in reviews online, I felt it couldn't really live up to the fantastic photos and rendering Rolex themself released. This led me the to bright blue one. Whatever watches I've been looking at, I've most often preferred the blue dialed versions.

I went to the local AD here in Denmark in mid October, so see if they had any. They had the yellow version in 36 mm, and the red in 41. I have no interest in these colorful dials, but atleast I got to test the sizes. I was a little afraid if the 36 mm would feel too small on my 17,5 cm / 6,9 inch wrist, but it felt fine. The 41 mm version looked too big in my eyes, for such a simple dial, but I guess that's a question if taste.

At this time, the AD had no idea how long it could be, before I could have a Bright Blue OP 36 (and I had my doubt I would even be able to buy it from there, with no history in the shop). And going gray market was never an option for me. After another visit to show my interest before Christmas, I emailed them about a month ago, while the shop was in lockdown. And they got the watch, and reserved it for me. :)

Yesterday was first day after lockdown, and I picked up my watch.

So far I love it. And I'm now certain I got the right size also.

The blue is really lovely, changing a lot depending on the light. From almost black, to very light blue in direct sunlight.

I also got the current Rolex "book" from the AD. Might just be normal when purchasing a Rolex, but for me it was a nice little bonus.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Hi all,

After some 5-6 years of looking at luxury watches, I now finally joined the Rolex club.

Yesterday I picked up my new OP 36 in Bright Blue. :)

I've been looking at a large number of different watches, since my fascination of mechanical watches really started to grow about 5-6 years ago. Mainly from Omega, Tudor and Rolex, but also brands as Cartier and IWC have been considered.

But it's not until now, I felt I could use that kind of money on a watch. My first love was the Planet Ocean, but today that's was never an option - it's just too big and chunky for me, as are most other Omega watches. Same with the Explorer 2 Polar, which was also a favorite for some time.

About two years ago I found my late granddads old manual Lanco watch, and had it serviced. It's a 34 mm watch from the late 1960s. At first I thought it would be way too small, but after wearing it some time, I kind of got used to it. It was also at this time I started looking at smaller luxury watches.

When the new OPs were presented last year, it was love at first sight. I knew this was going the be my first luxury watch. The rather small size with a new movement with the longer power reserve, was just what I had been waiting for.

At first my preference was the silver dial. But after it started showing up in reviews online, I felt it couldn't really live up to the fantastic photos and rendering Rolex themself released. This led me the to bright blue one. Whatever watches I've been looking at, I've most often preferred the blue dialed versions.

I went to the local AD here in Denmark in mid October, so see if they had any. They had the yellow version in 36 mm, and the red in 41. I have no interest in these colorful dials, but atleast I got to test the sizes. I was a little afraid if the 36 mm would feel too small on my 17,5 cm / 6,9 inch wrist, but it felt fine. The 41 mm version looked too big in my eyes, for such a simple dial, but I guess that's a question if taste.

At this time, the AD had no idea how long it could be, before I could have a Bright Blue OP 36 (and I had my doubt I would even be able to buy it from there, with no history in the shop). And going gray market was never an option for me. After another visit to show my interest before Christmas, I emailed them about a month ago, while the shop was in lockdown. And they got the watch, and reserved it for me. :)

Yesterday was first day after lockdown, and I picked up my watch.

So far I love it. And I'm now certain I got the right size also.

The blue is really lovely, changing a lot depending on the light. From almost black, to very light blue in direct sunlight.

I also got the current Rolex "book" from the AD. Might just be normal when purchasing a Rolex, but for me it was a nice little bonus.

Congrats. Watch looks good on you.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Congratulations. I have expressed interest in the blue OP36. Did you consider the DJ36 as they seem more readily available. What made you go for the OP36 instead?
Thanks! I thought about the DJ36, but not that much. I plan to use the watch everyday, also during work, where there's a real risk of it getting a little beating. I simple feared the polished parts of the DJ would get scratched up way to fast. And a date is not something I need much, so the higher price tag also played a part.

I could see myself wearing a gold/steel DJ36 on my old days though. :cool:

·
Registered
45,062 Posts
Beautiful looking watch, congratulations.

Reactions: dklap3

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks awesome and congrats. I have the exact same bright blue OP36 and love it. Not a fan of the Stella dials and the bright blue seems to be classy and understated.
Thank you, and right back at you.

I feel the exact same way about the so called Stella dials. For an everyday watch that would never work for me. But if you already own a nice watch collection, and money is no issue, I can see why some might find it fun and refreshing. It's not for me though.

·
Registered
16,643 Posts
Superb!!!

Reactions: dklap3

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you all. I’m loving the watch more and more every time I look at it.

Hope I’ll be able to shoot some interesting photos in the near future, I’ll add them here if it go as planned.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.