WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. This is my first post. I am getting ready to buy my first Kobold and had some questions for the more experienced. I am trying to decide between the Phantom (PVD vs. Titanium) and the Soarway Diver. I plan to use either a NATO or rubber strap. Regarding the Phantoms, does the PVD scratch off easily? I think it would bother me if the PVD was rubbing off all the edges and the watch started looking tired and worn. How does the Titanium hold up and does it look good on a black NATO or rubber strap? Does the Soarway Diver just look to plain in person? I have a thin, 7" wrist. Does this help in the recommendations?

·
Registered
17,515 Posts
Kobold has their PVD watches very well done, and the finish will stand up to many many years of abuse. Of course, like any material, be it SS, Ti or anything else, if hit hard enough or if enough friction is applied over time, wear will show. With Kobolds, and most other higher end brands, their PVD is applied several microns thick and has several treatments done to get a layered effect, which will provide a better PVD.

I'll attach several pictures of my Phantom which I bought used. It looked like it went down on the Titantic when I got it, but even through the watch was in rough condition, the PVD was still intact with very little sign of wear.

Now the Soarway Diver is an amazing watch and in no way plain, but rather has a great finish on the case. Titanium will hold up just like SS, except that scratches will start to blend back into the case. Now with a SS case, a cape cod polishing cloth can be used to get out surface scratches, were Ti usually needs to be refinished, but is stronger and should be more resistance to scratches. Now if it has a brushed finish, a fiberglass pen can be used to fix minor surface blemishes.

Either way you go, any of the Kobold watches will hold up extremely well, as they were designed for and used by explorers all over the world. Additionally you will find one of, if not the best customer service in the industry. Top that off with an on site WOSTEP certified watchmaker in their office, and I think you have a home run.

Keep in mind I wore this watch for 2 years as a police officer throughout all kinds of horrible incidents, and it was already beat up at that time. While wearing this watch I could not see any issues with the PVD and it looked perfect.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Mark, welcome to the forum. You might want to check one of my threads "phantom vs. soarway" from a few weeks back. I was having the same debate on which Kobold to purchase next (I already have a Seal and SOA) and there is a ton of good discussion and thought sharing in that thread from all the fantastic people on this forum.

Either one is a great choice and you will not be upset with your choice of a Kobold. My quick thoughts...the Soarway is definitely not plain, but a simple classic. Clean easy dial, great dress look on the bracelet, sports up well on a nato. thin, low profile, but still a decent weight. Blue face is Kobold fame and looks even classier with a black face.

Phantom, the watch that drew me to Kobold, even more impressive in person (actually, every Kobold looks better in person by far) it just oozes masculinity and wears great on the wrist as well. I am assuming that you are going basically on appearance rather than any of the chronograph function, as I am as well.

Check out the other thread, let us know if you have any other questions, and as soon as you join the ranks as an owner, post some pictures.

How did I decide on the debate?//Hmmm??? maybe we will see.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Welcome to your new addiction Mark. :-! You may want to prep the wife regarding all the boxes you will be receiving from Fed Ex from now on.
Here is my Phantom. One of the most popular watches I've ever owned; And I've had quite a few. ;-) More complements than any Rolex , Panerai or Breitling I've worn. GET ONE!!:-! Chronometer

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the thoughts. any comments on Titanium Phantom vs PVD? also, i am lean but fit and have a 7" wrist only. is the Seal too big for me?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
The Soarway got me hooked, the Seal keeps me coming back.

The Phantom is awesome, but probably not the most versatile if you are looking for something you can wear for all occasions.

The Soarway is amazingly thin, and you would find it extremely comfortable on your wrist. I thought it was almost too thin! It has alternating brushed/polished/satin surfaces that really make it pop--understated like most Kobolds, but able to be dressed up a little bit, depending on the strap. It would be perfect on a 7" wrist.

The Seal is the epitome of chunky tool watch. Even in Ti (as mine is) it is heavy and substantial. Whether you would find it too large for your wrist depends on the shape (if your wrist is flatter across the top it will be more comfortable), and your tolerance for a very thick watch. It will not fit well under sleeves with cuffs.

I'm a big fan of Ti, so that's the direction I'd encourage you to go. Besides weight, the most obvious difference is that the Ti is a little darker and the finish is a soft satin--it doesn't reflect like steel does, and is much more understated and tool-like, hence less dressy.

If I were you, I'd be strongly inclined to go for the blue dial Soarway.

Good luck--search for some pictures, and enjoy the search.

Cheers,
Daniel

1 - 6 of 6 Posts