WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my wife and I just moved to Singapore. With this as my excuse, I finally convinced my wife for the allowance of one more watch :p

I have been thinking about a Lange for quite long, and in particular the Saxonia Thin in white gold. Just when I was about to make the purchase at the boutique, I saw the 1815 Up/Down, and then I am torn...

On the one hand, I really like the simplicity of Saxonia Thin. On the other hand, based on my experience, a power-reserve indicator is very useful on a manual wind. The blued hands are also quite attractive...In terms of comfort, Saxonia Thin probably wins by a tiny margin, but both are more comfortable on the wrist then any mechanical watch I currently own. The 1815 is obviously much more expensive, but I really don't want any regret in the future simply because I want to save a bit of money now...

I guess you know the question already. If you have any experience with these watches, please share with me your opinion. If you have long-term experience with both, it would be extremely helpful.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
The 1815 U/D is on my short list, so personally, I'd pick that. It probably depends on whether you want to lean more dressy or casual. IMO, the U/D can go either way, and I enjoy the additional visual interest on the dial, but the Saxonia Thin is more formal so it might be tougher to pull off in more casual situations. (Not that it can't be done, of course, just depends on your personal style.)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 1815 U/D is on my short list, so personally, I'd pick that. It probably depends on whether you want to lean more dressy or casual. IMO, the U/D can go either way, and I enjoy the additional visual interest on the dial, but the Saxonia Thin is more formal so it might be tougher to pull off in more casual situations. (Not that it can't be done, of course, just depends on your personal style.)
Thanks a lot!

Interestingly in terms of dressy-ness, I had the opposite feeling...

To us watch nerds, obviously the Saxonia Thin is dressier. But I feel to the general public, both are dressy. But the U/D in some sense draws more attention to it while the Saxonia is sort of hidden. So I feel Saxonia Thin might be easier to blend into casual daily wear (not to watch people, but to others).

Just my feeling...

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Thanks a lot!

Interestingly in terms of dressy-ness, I had the opposite feeling...

To us watch nerds, obviously the Saxonia Thin is dressier. But I feel to the general public, both are dressy. But the U/D in some sense draws more attention to it while the Saxonia is sort of hidden. So I feel Saxonia Thin might be easier to blend into casual daily wear (not to watch people, but to others).

Just my feeling...
I see it as just the opposite. The simpler dial of the Thin makes it more of a formal watch while the multiple subdials makes the 1815UD more casual less formal. Also, the size of each contributes to that as well.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I see it as just the opposite. The simpler dial of the Thin makes it more of a formal watch while the multiple subdials makes the 1815UD more casual less formal. Also, the size of each contributes to that as well.
Then again, I suppose a lot depends on exactly which metal/dial you are looking at.

·
Registered
439 Posts
The watch in the first PIC really doesn't do too much for me, maybe just the angle. But the watch in the second PIC is the one I would choose just because it is more my style.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I have been wondering for a while on both models. After trying on Saxonia Thin, the whole spell was broken. When I put the Up / Down on my arm, I never took it off. Even though it was much more expensive, I didn't hesitate for a second. I wear the watch with practically everything, and the dial is simply mesmerizing. Very comfortable (the belt has to settle down a bit - about a week), despite everything not conspicuous, and as some jealous people say, a bit "grandpa". But I was buying mine for my 50th birthday. Currently my number 1 when it comes to time on the wrist. I like him!

·
Registered
72 Posts
The white gold saxonia thin is very versatile. I don’t personally own it, but the adventurine dial is dressy and casual at the same time. Especially with a strap change.

Rose gold is by its nature more formal.

Once you know how many winds it takes: it’s easy to top up without the indicator. And no seconds means no OCD second hacking time synchronisation

The 1815 is a stunning watch. Most ALS are. I particularly like the Saxonia moonphase also.

Wear and then decide? The 1815 probably gets my vote though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
575 Posts
1815 Up/Down. I have the Saxonia Moonphase and love that watch, but if it didn't have the moonphase and running seconds, I think it would look too severe for my tastes.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Absolutely the 1815 up/down! I’ve been lucky enough to own both and have used them in a multitude of circumstances, but the 1815 just worked in every instance. It’s a truly great watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
For me the 1815 UD is the watch to close off my own collection so I’m bias. Definitely try them on, both are special tbh so take your time

·
Registered
56 Posts
I tried both. WG Saxonia thin and YG Up/down. Felt YG Up/down was a little more dressy/formal. I didn't try WG one. Ultimately I went for WG Saxonia thin- more versatile for my use.

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
I have been wondering for a while on both models. After trying on Saxonia Thin, the whole spell was broken. When I put the Up / Down on my arm, I never took it off. Even though it was much more expensive, I didn't hesitate for a second. I wear the watch with practically everything, and the dial is simply mesmerizing. Very comfortable (the belt has to settle down a bit - about a week), despite everything not conspicuous, and as some jealous people say, a bit "grandpa". But I was buying mine for my 50th birthday. Currently my number 1 when it comes to time on the wrist. I like him!
Wow. /thread.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Absolutely love both...but would agree with most here that the 1815 U/D is just that bit more versatile (and interesting to look at with more details). It's the perfect dressy casual piece, IMO

·
Registered
4 Posts
Welcome to Singapore! I was facing the same decision about 5 years ago and went for the Saxonia Thin 37mm in WG. Mainly because I felt it was more discreet and I really liked the simplicity and “spartanness” of the watch. Also the size at 37mm was perfect for me and the thin case made it very comfortable and barely noticeable on the wrist. I kept it on the black strap and wore it mainly during the week to the office. Never regretted the purchase – it’s a beautiful watch and for me the perfect understated dress watch.

But I have recently bought the 1815 up/down in white gold as well and it’s a beautiful watch. It’s the watch I wear the most now and the blue hands are exceptional in the light. While I still love very simple watches, it’s also nice to have a little more to look at on the dial. I asked the boutique to swap it on to a dark brown strap and find it less formal and easier to wear more casually as well that way. I very recently sold the Saxonia as I want to keep my collection reasonably small but I must say I do miss the watch..

Looking back would I have changed things and gone immediately with the 1815? No, I really enjoyed wearing the Saxonia and I still think it offers incredible value at that price point.

Sorry not sure this helped all that much but both are fantastic watches and you won’t regret either purchase. I would just go for whatever your gut tells you when you’re looking at both at the boutique. Good luck with the decision!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks so much for sharing! The Lange community is really exceptional. I did try both at the boutique. It is indeed trying both that got me so torn now...

After hearing some of your stories and seeing the amazing photos, I leaned a bit more towards the 1815 UD. But then my wife said she really enjoyed the Saxonia Thin too....

I guess I will still think about it for some weeks...But having a watch that my wife can also `borrow' seems a strong argument in favor of the Saxonia Thin (I don't think the 1815 UD will look as good on her).

·
Registered
12,515 Posts
Three years ago, I was in a similar position.

When I tried on the Up/Down, I knew it was the one for me.

I am still in love with it.

Reactions: GrouchoM

·
Registered
14 Posts
I lie in the minority here (maybe because once I move a couple of pieces, the 201.027 is imminent), but I prefer the smooth simplicity of the Saxonia. The indices and 2 hands scream elegance, yet have seen its versatility on different strap combos.

With that being said, the 1815 with the up/down complication is a much "deeper" piece, I think. The railroad and Arabic numerals give it that classic pocket watch feel whilst being very versatile in its own right. Also, seems like you've already made up your mind!

But let's face it, at the end of the day, it's a Lange. You absolutely cannot go wrong.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts