WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening WUS,
I am new to the forum ( well not really have been browsing for a while now) and have a very important question for you... Which omega should I buy?
Let me give you a bit of background, I have a few watches currently (Baume, Tag, Rado) but I think the time has come to step up and buy my first true luxury watch. Now I have looked at a whole host of different makes and movements and decided It just needs to be an omega. And here starts my list of questions:

I love the look of the planet ocean and the speed master series, I have read up on both but wanted to get an owners opinion on both the models how do they compare?

Second I want to spend around 2.5k (can go up to 4) would you suggest I look at grey market dealers for this or buy one 2nd hand? (I of course plan on going into my local distributor and trying on the model I chose before hand)

Finally, I absolutely love moon phase watches can I find an omega moonphase in my price range ?

Thanks for your time looking forward to the suggestions.
HH

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
For 2.5 grand you will have to buy used depending on what you want. A PO for 2500 will be used and it will show. To get grey market might be risky but I never tried that route. SpeedMaster not familiar with prices. I would look on the forum here in the sales section. Good place to start. Definitely decide on which model. Planet Ocean and SpeedMaster two totally different things. Check references of the seller and make sure they have been active in discussions here.take your time.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Sounds like a Speedmaster Moonphase would suit you very nicely.

There's always a few for sale on ebay, a quick search and I've found this (this listing is not mine but I do follow this seller and he has excellent feedback). It's right at the upper limit of what you want to pay and the watch is 6 years old but the seller says it comes with a 6 month warranty.

Omega Speedmaster Moon Watch Sandwich 3576 50 Professional MEN'S Sapphire 7612586105036 | eBay

I advise you to do your own research and scour the sales forums (watchrecon.com) as well as ebay. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Mr. Haq. My middle name happens to be Haque :)

For $2,500, you can score a rather nice condition Speedmaster 3570.50 Professional Moonwatch from the forum. For around $3,500, you should be able to get the same watch new. I personally think this is a great place to start.

A Moonphase model is an option, but then it must be pre-owned and is at your upper limit.

A pre-owned Planet Ocean 8500 is well within your grasp as well, at around $4,000, but I'd take the Moonwatch over the Planet Ocean on most any day... You know, provided you don't have any inane, self-imposed rules which state that all of your wristwatches must be dive watches.

Happy hunting and post pictures of what you end up getting. As a matter of fact, you shoudl share some pictures of your current collection!

Reactions: El Gato

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
The Speedmaster Professional is the obvious recommendation. You might as well take a look and rule that one in or out first if you are looking at Omega.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I used to be a moonphase junkie too, but listen to the others. Speedy Pro, you cannot go wrong. Beautiful, perfect, and awesome story behind it.

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
Hi and welcome on registering and first post, 2 different types of watches so depends on activities you do, if you are a water sports person and spends your time in the water then land then buy a dive watch couple of options here PO2500 would be a good buy but dont forget about the SMP esp the wave dial the 2500smp is a bit more dressier then the sword hands but the sword hands do look great.
If you decide the WR rating of a watch is not a concern then the speedy pro is the best buy for your money, classic watch looks great on any strap but still looks damn good on the original bracelet. Only downside is you will after wind it up daily, yes this will take some time out of your day some 15secs lol but also does not have a date function.
You can check out the sales forum for both watches or go to a good rep secondhand market place.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Welcome to the forums :). You picked 2 great watches to consider! With some very different characteristics.

The PO has hard core WR, is a large watch that might not go well too well with a business suit...might have a struggle getting it under a shirt sleeve..but it's a gorgeous dive watch, one that can be worn proudly. I am giving consideration to getting one myself, already been to an AD to drool on it. It's an auto winder with date.

The speedy pro is an iconic watch with a lot of history connected to it. It's more versatile, it goes with just about any outfit. But the one thing that it is not, is a dive watch. No date, hesalite crystal, manual wind. It's a watch that even in the current new version has barely changed since it was first created. It's got a cool vintage look. The chronograph is very functional, it's well designed, I actually use the chronograph frequently on mine. Way more than I thought I would.

No one can tell you which is "better", you have to decide. You know that already, I am sure. But I will talk about my thoughts on getting a moon watch since its a watch I love. I made my first Omega a Speedmaster pro because I have always wanted one since I was a kid. I have known every feature of the watch and I made my purchase without an ounce of hesitation once I got past the dollars. I think the speedy is a great value for what you are getting. You see it all the time in top ten lists of most iconic watches. It is supremely functional, which you would expect of a watch chosen to be used by astronauts in the dangers of space. But you have to really know the speedy and be very comfortable with what you are getting. In my view you have to pretty much want the speedy for what it is, and not be concerned about what it is not. It s very light and comfy to wear, surprisingly thin, easy to read in the dark, and looks great on all kinds of straps. The domed, shatter-proof hesalite crystal gives the watch a very unique look. The watch as a whole is very, very durable.

My speedy is a watch I wear a lot, and will never sell. Going to pass it down to my son. I think it makes a great heritage watch. :)

I got my speedy new from grey market at 25% below retail. It was shipped to me in one day and came with all the papers and box and serial numbers. Just no Omega warranty, instead one from the dealer. It worked out great for me. You should be able to get 10-15% below retail at an AD. Maybe better if you are lucky. I would have preferred an AD but none near me would get even get close to the 25% off and money was a real issue for me. Either way with a speedy pro youshould be well within your $4000 limit and getting a brand new watch that retains its value really well. For the PO even for grey market or excellent condition used you will be well above $4000 IMO.

Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am also new to Omega, but personal preference took me down the Planet Ocean route for my first piece. That said, Speedmaster is also a great way to go, and if the experts here feel that the preowned Speedy market is the richer hunting ground, I'd take their advice. In fact, keep me posted on your experience. Buying from within this community might be a great way to go if I ever catch the collector bug. Be interested to hear about what you find / learn in the process of getting your first Omega. Happy hunting!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies and welcome everyone. I went to look at/try on a couple of watches today and I have my heart set on a Omega speedmaster moonphase 3576.50, its just a beautiful watch and quite frankly given I have become somewhat of a moonphase junkie I know if I don't buy this I'll probably be looking at moonphase's in the near future.

Now that I have decided I have a question for those who have bought a used 3576 or bought one from one of the grey market websites. Whats the price you paid (I am looking to get an idea of the price for a used watch)? Which are the grey market dealers you trust (authenticwatches, jomashop...ect.)

If you do not want to post what you paid here, could you please PM me. I really appreciate the help and can't wait to get my first OMEGA!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks. Let the search begin :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts