WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone!

This is my first post about the choice of my first watch so I hope you can be merciful with a noobie like me. Basically, I will finish Uni and with my savings (and parents :p) i want to buy something amazing. :)
I am searching for a watch that is fun to wear but do not want to draw too much attention to myself while wearing. Basically, there are 2 big candidates for me because of the design:

tag Heuer carrera 1887 CARRERA CALIBRE 1887AUTOMATIC CHRONOGRAPH41mm Black Steel bracelet | TAG Heuer
Mido multifort chronograph Homepage | MIDO

both with black dials and metal strap. And the stopwatch function is basically a must for me.

Does anybody have experiences with either of these watches (or maybe even both)? I realize the big price difference between them. Is it due to the movement or does the name of the brand raise the price for the tag heur? I read a lot about the discussions about the 1887 calibre being bought from seiko. However, I havent found a lot about the reliablity of the watch. Are Mido and tag Heuer in the same quality range at all? Mido is less known, is that why the price is so much lower?

Also any suggestion on technical things to pay attention to when choosing a watch or any watches in pirticular which fit the desciption would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much!

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Carrera any day . It has much better brand recognition than Mido.
I really like the watches Mido makes but no comparison to Tag's pedigree and history.
Most difference in price is due to brand recognition.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Tag also gets my vote for the above mentioned points

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
I would not buy the Tag for brand recognition because it will use comparable movements in most models. In fact, I think it could be argued that Tag is one of the most questionable values in a entry level/midrange Swiss watch. You are paying a lot for advertising costs. That said, based purely on aesthetics, I prefer the Carrera here because it has a cleaner looking dial than the Mido does.

You also might have a look at Oris or Longines. Longines has column wheel chronographs that distinguish themselves movement wise from the pack at this price point. Consider saving some money and getting a better movement with Longines.

The Omega Speedmaster Professional is a watch with an unquestioned pedigree (NASA) and a prestige movement (Lemania based) and it really isn't that much more than the Tag you were considering. You also might consider jumping up to that

·
Registered
524 Posts
TAG and Mido are in different position on the market. As for the quality, I cannot compare them since I don't have any experience with Mido watches. One of the main reasons for the much higher price is the 1887 movement. If you want a TAG with a similar design and a lower price point, you can take a look at their Carrera Heritage with the Calibre 16 (based on ETA 7750) movement. And if the chrono function isn't important to you, then you can even save a few more bucks with the Carrera Heritage Calibre 6.

By the way, I believe the particular Mido Multifort model that you're looking at also uses the ETA 7750 movement, but I don't know which grade they're using though.

Carrera Heritage Calibre 16 (CAS2110.BA0730)

Carrera Heritage Calibre 6 (WAS2110.BA0732)

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you very much! I was afraid that the higher price of Tag Heuer was due to their advertisments and it seems that it does have an influence. Thank you very much for your advices.

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
For the first luxury watch, I do not believe you can go wrong with a Heuer, especially a Carrera.

mike.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts