WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
4,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys,

I want to get your view on this.

Recently I posted about the Mido Ocean star and its monocoque/mono-shell case design. I claimed that it was the first of its kind. However today I see bubba48 has posted a Hamilton cld watch. Cld when pronounced phonetically means sealed and it looks like it may well be a contender for the first mono-shell by at least 10 years.

Below are the two designs. First the Mido.

The Hamilton has a well/cup that the movement fits into and it also had a two part stem. My only consideration is that the bezel is separate from the case back so the crystal and bezel are removed to access the movement but the Mido is completely one piece and only the crystal needs to be removed.

I kinda think Hamilton has it but want to get some feedback before I amend my post about the Ocean Star.

Regards,

· Registered
2,979 Posts
I think the first Omega Seamaster DeVilles were from the late 1950's also. Around the same time as Mido, although I don't know if there is a separate patent for the Omega case.

I would be surprised to find out that the Hamilton was the first one piece case, although it was highly publicized when it was introduced in 1951.

More research would be required.
gatorcpa

· Registered
4,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

· Banned
4,001 Posts
Bulova had it's first one-piece case in the 1940's.
The Watertite.

Here is a 1950 example.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Pocket watch

· Registered
4,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

· Registered
4,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I have found another reference from an earlier thread back in 2011.

AbslomRob refers to a Benrus Swiss patent approved for top loader dated 1940. The US patent submitted in 1941 and approved in 1942 Patent # 2,302,340.

https://www.watchuseek.com/f11/top-loaders-origin-knowledge-pictures-please-498499.html

· Registered
4,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
But in doing so you would be splitting hairs as the Morf case merely has the lugs attached to the bezel. The others are I would say derivatives of the Morf design.
Derivatives of the original Morf design seems to be true.But if you allow me to split a hair. The Morf design first adopted by Roamer and then variations used by other brands was a creative first for a mono-shell, however above the stem tube are numerous parts. Up until the Mido Ocean Star they all had a separate outer bezel that helped to compress the crystal. There is no mention of Monocoque in any of the advertising or patent applications. The Mido patent incorporated an attached compression ring/chapter ring to the inside of the crystal. This was compressed into the single one piece mono-shell case. The design was only in two parts(crystal and case) and this was new. I am attempted to wrap this up nicely in a bow but often with watch history when you think you have it tied down something comes along to completely unravel things. Watch the space :)

Regards,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.