WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon Guys,

This is my first forray into the world of watches, so be gentle!

I currently have a fairly cheap Citizen eco-drive, which I bought just before heading off to Uni. I graduated a few years ago now, so I actually have money to spend rather than scrimping.

And so I've resolved to buy myself a nice new watch. Nothing outrageous, up to £400.

I'm looking for a watch with a fairly clean face, either black(PVD)/titanium, not decided on a movement type. I like the idea of an automatic, but am concerned about the timekeeping aspect (10s/day seems like a lot of time). I like the idea of quartz for accuracy, but am concerned about battery life...

So my two choices so far are:

MTM Blackhawk (possibly in titanium)

+ves
- Quartz, keeps time well
- Rechargeable, so no swapping battery
- Backlight/flashlight functionality
- I can take out/add links myself

-ves
- More expensive
- Has stupid "I'm in a special ops unit, honest guv" pasted all over the face

Traser Classic Pro

+ves
- Automatic, so "nicer" from a watch lovers point of view
- H3, which is nice
- cheaper

-ves
- Automatic, may lose a reasonable amount of time
- H3 will run down (12 year h/l?)

So my questions are:

1) Who has one/other of them and what do you think?
2) The Traser has an ETA 2824-2 movement, does anyone know what grade they use and what the timekeeping is like?
3) Are there some others which I should consider in this price bracket?

·
Registered
11,276 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum, John!

I don't think battery change intervals should be a problem ... for one thing, re-chargeable batteries won't last forever, either, and for decent functionality, the seals need annual checking and replacement every few years anyway.

If you pick a lithium-battery powered quartz Traser or Luminox model, for example, you are set for up to ten years.

The H3 vials are a huge advantage, IMHO. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello and welcome to the forum, John!

I don't think battery change intervals should be a problem ... for one thing, re-chargeable batteries won't last forever, either, and for decent functionality, the seals need annual checking and replacement every few years anyway.

If you pick a lithium-battery powered quartz Traser or Luminox model, for example, you are set for up to ten years.

The H3 vials are a huge advantage, IMHO. :)
Thanks for the help!

I've had a look at the trasers, and the Traser site isn't very helpful with battery types etc. I have looked at the Ronda website though (the quartz movements Traser use) and it give expected battery lives of around 4/5 years, which is ok I suppose.

Looking at them again though, I think my preference may be for the Traser Classic Pro. I'm wondering about the movement and how much time it'll lose/gain on average. I'm aware that generally the ETA movements come in different grades, so I was wondering if anyone knew what sort the Classic Pro contains/what the accuracy is like?

And I too am liking the look of the H3 vials :)

·
Registered
944 Posts
Have you looked at BALL watches? Check out the forum here (WUS main page)and the web site www.balllwatch.com I have 2 of them and all i can say is WOW :p Super brite (best you can buy) very rugged,and Very accurate ETA based movments. They also have a DLC version.(diamond like carbon,but may be out of your budget) Some good deals on pre owned in the forsale (of this forum)section sometimes.
btw,your choices so far are good ones but i dont own either (looking at the MTM's for future purchase) Happy hunting:-!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you looked at BALL watches?
I hasn't looked at Ball watches, but have just taken a quicky shifty round their site. I think the dials may be a bit busy for my tastes, but some of them certainly look nice.

I think what's putting me off the MTM is the proprietary quartz movement, which allthough doesn't speak to the accuracy, without knowing more about the company iteself, doesn't lend itself to the feeling of a quality piece. And for £400 I'd like a bit of quality please!

So again, anyone have any experience with the 2824-2 and more specifically the grade in a Traser Classic Pro?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, well in the course of about a week I've gone full circle.

I've now decided that I want something with a quartz movement, but am struggling to find any nice pieces with a sterile dial and H3. Any ideas guys?

If I can't find anything else I like, I'll probably settle with a Traser Classic Chronograph or one of the MTMs.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
It really depends on your tastes. A few of us have gotten the p6500's HercDriver just mentioned, and they're cool watches.... but I don't know if you could classify them as 'nice.' They're very functional, inexpensive and well-made, which is what I was looking for - it sounds like you're looking for something more upmarket though.
I think they use a Ronda 515 movement, which in my case has proven to be very accurate - over the two weeks or so I've had it, I think it's pretty much keeping pace with my G-shocks for accuracy - around +/- 10-15 secs a month. I would assume that the movements in the higher-end trasers (if they're quartz?) would have similar accuracy.

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
hi, this is my opinion...
Mtm costs very much for the watch it is...
The Traser and Luminox it is the same watch with different brand i think...
The automatic watch , i own one , does have to be cleaned to be in good working condition...
so...
my thought is.......
the same thing i've done for myself......
to be a owner of a good automatic watch to wear in good dress...
i choose O&W IWc similar model.....
And for the other time like ..
sport shooting work and recreation , in night time often.........
i choose the Traser p6502.....
before the traser i used the Uzi Protector tritium watch...
a good watch but little bit tall for me......
after i used the luminox stealth watch 3401
and i can say that it is a very good watch........
the dial does have too colour so i passed through the traser.......
The battery does last for about 4 years and the tritum vials for 10 or more....
so...
you will be tired of the watch until it will be defective....
:-!
my choice?
Go for the traser .......

·
Registered
12 Posts
Afternoon Guys,

This is my first forray into the world of watches, so be gentle!

I currently have a fairly cheap Citizen eco-drive, which I bought just before heading off to Uni. I graduated a few years ago now, so I actually have money to spend rather than scrimping.

And so I've resolved to buy myself a nice new watch. Nothing outrageous, up to £400.

I'm looking for a watch with a fairly clean face, either black(PVD)/titanium, not decided on a movement type. I like the idea of an automatic, but am concerned about the timekeeping aspect (10s/day seems like a lot of time). I like the idea of quartz for accuracy, but am concerned about battery life...

So my two choices so far are:

MTM Blackhawk (possibly in titanium)

+ves
- Quartz, keeps time well
- Rechargeable, so no swapping battery
- Backlight/flashlight functionality
- I can take out/add links myself

-ves
- More expensive
- Has stupid "I'm in a special ops unit, honest guv" pasted all over the face

Traser Classic Pro

+ves
- Automatic, so "nicer" from a watch lovers point of view
- H3, which is nice
- cheaper

-ves
- Automatic, may lose a reasonable amount of time
- H3 will run down (12 year h/l?)

So my questions are:

1) Who has one/other of them and what do you think?
2) The Traser has an ETA 2824-2 movement, does anyone know what grade they use and what the timekeeping is like?
3) Are there some others which I should consider in this price bracket?

I had a Luminox Navy Titanium before. It was awesome in two ways. Firstly, it was EXTREMELY light AND sturdy. Compared to SS watches of the same dimension, you can hardly feel the weight of titanium watches.

Secondly, the tritium illumination was quite useful. It was bright enough to read a book, I'm not kidding, at night. The half life, though, is about 10~12 years I'm told, after which, you'll probably have to recharge the capsules or scrap the watch and get a new one.

Having said that, I was a bit disappointed with the time keeping ability of the watch. The movement was swiss quartz and the time kept getting faster (or slower I don't remember) by about 5 seconds daily.

Currently, I have a Montblanc automatic which uses a changed movement based on the ETA 2892-A2. The time keeping is amazing on this watch. It's been about two days and the time is exact to my cell phone! I also read somewhere that in the long run, a good mechanical movement is better at keeping time than a quartz movement...

Of course, a watch with a good mechanical movement will probably cost you more than 400 pounds but I'd strongly recommend the initial investment. It's definitely worth the money!:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all your replies guys, it's all good stuff.
In answer to the couple of replies I've got this evening, I've looked at the P650X series, and it's not really my cup of tea, I'm looking for more of a simple, elegant watch that's fairly sturdy and keeps good time.

The luminox series, and most of the H3 watches seem to suffer the "OMG how big is the bezel" problem, which is most likely useful in some situations, but I'm a simple man, and only really need a date/time, no frills.

I guess my perfect watch would be a Traser classic pro, in titanium, with a reasonable quartz movement. Unfortunately I think I may have to compromise...

My random watch of the day is the Seiko SMA171P1 which is completely not a military watch, but is plain, titanium and kinetic, so no worrying about batteries (well not for a while).

Any other ideas for a plain, quartz, black/titanium watch?

Thanks so much for the replies.

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
i've heard that kinetic watch it is a little bit more faulty than other quartz watch...
this is the reason why i choose a quartz...
but maybe now the story it's changed..
:think:

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Jonc, I have that exact same watch, except in stainless steel, and with a non-textured dial. Awesome machine :-! Mine's been through all kinds of rough work and travel situations, and it's running as sweet as the day I got it.

Ecalzo, I don't know the statistics, but I've had mine for almost 6 years now with no servicing, and I haven't had any problems.

Jonc, if you're looking for simplicity, have a look at some of the Sinn and Damasko (etc.) watches - they're in a higher price range, and I don't think they have tritium, but they're more elegant-looking.

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
Jonc, I have that exact same watch, except in stainless steel, and with a non-textured dial. Awesome machine :-! Mine's been through all kinds of rough work and travel situations, and it's running as sweet as the day I got it.

Ecalzo, I don't know the statistics, but I've had mine for almost 6 years now with no servicing, and I haven't had any problems.

Jonc, if you're looking for simplicity, have a look at some of the Sinn and Damasko (etc.) watches - they're in a higher price range, and I don't think they have tritium, but they're more elegant-looking.
glad to hear this.....|>

V

·
0 Posts
With Trits, you're limited to Traser, Luminox, KHS and Ball as well as some American mall brands such as S&W, Uzi etc. Of these, I vote Traser first, KHS second and Luminox third.

Traser because the quality/price ratio seems just a bit better (they all come from the same factory {MB-Microtec} so I guess its a matter of pricing policy). KHS because of their unique colored trits (The operation timer has 3 different color trit hands/markers for hours, minutes, seconds) and Luminox for their wider range of models (The traveller 2002 is the first trit GMT I know).

Conversely, there are many non-tritium watches in the price bracket.

If you want some exclusivity, head down to timefactors or RLT and have a look at their selections online. Most are military/flieger/diver style but they're British independents who make nice watches that are not overpriced. Timefactors even provides blueprints (exact dimensions incl. gaskets etc) and information on the movement used.

You can customized some of them too.

Cheers.

·
Registered
7,226 Posts

Sorry i mistake.....
:oops:
i did not mean kinetic but i mean eco drive......
maybe someone can say to us all if the eco drive powered
mouvement it is affordable too......

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
jonc, Dont let the Military Nomencalture on the face of a watch bother you. Some on this forum think they are "poser" watches, as if you are going to be judged as a poser by the watch you wear. If that would be the case, what about those of us who wear diver watches and have never dived or pilot watches and have never flown an aircraft? I consider the wording such as 'Navy Seals' or 'Special Forces' to be a tribute to that form of military unit.
As you can see by my signature I like the Traser and Luminox watches, they are accurate, well made, easy to read and a good bang for the $.:-!

·
Registered
119 Posts
If you like an all-black, all-business watch, definitely take a look at the Sinn range. It is extensive, so you can pick the one that suits you best. Quality is outstanding and you will get your money back if you decide to resell.

There is a good Sinn dealer in the UK as well. Just Google Sinn UK dealer and you'll find him!

Also consider the Fortis brand. They do a PVD pilot's watch that is very cool.

Personally I prefer autos whenever possible./

1 - 20 of 21 Posts