WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently graduated college and my dad gave me what he has been promising "his first son to graduate college" since I can remember...

I was never interested in watches before (I'm a gun/motorcycle/car/truck kind of guy), but wearing a nice watch has really started growing on me. I don't know much about the watch, so any interesting tid-bits you all may have are certainly welcome. I'm researching all sorts of watches, and can see this becoming almost as expensive a hobby as motorcycling.

I look forward to being relatively active here; it seems like a great dynamic from all the stalking I've done.

-Jordan

PS the cyclops is centered perfectly, its just a funky angle.

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,599 Posts
Nice watch, and it is called the "Rolex Presidential Day/Date" by some people because JFK allegedly was given one by Marilyn Monroe. One of the guys I work with has one. You have a really cool dad to give you something like that. Take good care of it, and WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!!!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Congratulations on the new watch and graduating.

Actually the nickname presidential came from Eisenhower. Rolex released the Day / Date the same year as President Eisenhower's re-election year. 1956. Subsequently he was given one by Rolex as a gift for service. Notably though, JFK's D/D was never worn by the President, it was seen as direct link to the alledged indesrcetion. It was given to an aide instructing him to "Get rid of it." The watch later turned up at an auction in 2005 with the box, note, and a love poem written by Marilyn Monroe. The watch was inscribed on the back with, "Jack, with love as always, from Marilyn, May 29th 1962."

There is a great editorial written in the new edition of Watch Time under the title First Watch with some very interesting facts in it.

Nice watch, and it is called the "Rolex Presidential Day/Date" by some people because JFK allegedly was given one by Marilyn Monroe. One of the guys I work with has one. You have a really cool dad to give you something like that. Take good care of it, and WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!!!

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,599 Posts
Congratulations on the new watch and graduating.

Actually the nickname presidential came from Eisenhower. Rolex released the Day / Date the same year as President Eisenhower's re-election year. 1956. Subsequently he was given one by Rolex as a gift for service. Notably though, JFK's D/D was never worn by the President, it was seen as direct link to the alledged indesrcetion. It was given to an aide instructing him to "Get rid of it." The watch later turned up at an auction in 2005 with the box, note, and a love poem written by Marilyn Monroe. The watch was inscribed on the back with, "Jack, with love as always, from Marilyn, May 29th 1962."

There is a great editorial written in the new edition of Watch Time under the title First Watch with some very interesting facts in it.
Thanks for the more-in-depth explanation.:-!:-!

·
Registered
70 Posts
nice watch Jordan. Welcome to WUSb-)

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Congrats on graduating and the new Rolex. You now have a watch you can pass on to your son someday. Enjoy it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts