WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

After much research and lurking on this site, I decided to purchase my first Omega last month. It came down to the Aqua Terra or a Rolex Date Just. After much research, I concluded that the Omega is more precise, more beautiful, and a much better value.

I got the Aqua Terra 2503.30.00, 39.2mm Silver Dial, Steel Braclet. I debated the dial, but opted for silver over black because it just seems so timeless, and black seemed too common (justifiably so).

I have had the watch now for over a month, and absolutely love it.

One thing I noted however, was that in the evening, driving at night, or when I am about to go to bed, I see no glow at all. I cant tell the time. My understanding of Omega Watches were that the luminosity was very high, and maybe even to a fault. The problem I have is as much as I love this watch, I cant tell time in the evening without light, or even driving in my car in the evening.

Is there something im missing here? I even fade the lights lower till its pitch dark to see if my eyes werent adjusting correctly, and I can barely see the luminosity even after being in pitch darkness for over 5 minutes.

Has anyone had this type of problem?

Thanks...

·
Registered
736 Posts
Hi Groove,

Welcome to the forum.

Part of the issue may be that the lume on your AT is not being charged. Most types of lume (including that of Omega watches) needs some UV light to charge up and "glow." If your watch is under your shirt cuff all day long, it is not being exposed to light to allow it to charge.

I am also not sure how much lume the AT has. Maybe someone else that owns one can comment. When people refer to the outstanding lume on Omega's, I think that they are usually referring to the Omega dive watches like the Seamaster Professional and Planet Ocean that have larger hand surfaces with more lume to them.

Put your watch under a light for about a minute and then take it into a dark room. That should allow it a charge and will show you if there is really a problem with the lume on your new watch.

Mike

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Groove,

Welcome to the forum.

Part of the issue may be that the lume on your AT is not being charged. Most types of lume (including that of Omega watches) needs some UV light to charge up and "glow." If your watch is under your shirt cuff all day long, it is not being exposed to light to allow it to charge.

I am also not sure how much lume the AT has. Maybe someone else that owns one can comment. When people refer to the outstanding lume on Omega's, I think that they are usually referring to the Omega dive watches like the Seamaster Professional and Planet Ocean that have larger hand surfaces with more lume to them.

Put your watch under a light for about a minute and then take it into a dark room. That should allow it a charge and will show you if there is really a problem with the lume on your new watch.

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the welcome and response. I tried that, under a light and waited and waited. During the day, I usually have my watch visible, though it can me under my sweater or shirt half the time. But im convinced its a flaw in craftmanship as I held it under bright light and still waited and waited int eh dark with nothing close to what I have been reading, and what is being posted on Omegas site..

"Why is the luminosity of Omega watches so intense and so long?
Omega uses Super-LumiNova material for the dials and hands for all the watches. The Super-LumiNova material takes its luminescence from daylight or any artificial source of light. The watch should therefore be exposed to bright light in order to ensure the luminescence of the dial and hands in the dark, i.e. during the night. The luminescence decreases with hours but it is restored as soon as the watch is exposed to bright light.

Im stumped, I been reading horror stories of repair services..and my watch is only a month old......I love the feel, precision, and value..but this issue is dissapointing...and I dont know what to do.

·
Registered
7,055 Posts
Hey Groove, just wondering, is it just the hands that have no lume or is it the dial as well? If it's both the dial and hands, perhaps your watch sat in the display window at your AD for quite a while before you bought it.
You have to remember that these watches sit under lights for around 8 or 9 hours a day and this may have sapped some of the Superluminova's brightness.
I can't say that this is a certainty, despite working for an AD myself, but most of the Omegas in my store don't stick around long anyway.
You'd be within your rights to take it back and ask for a new one, since it sounds like it's been a problem since you bought it. Your AD may offer to send it to your local Omega Service Centre for a replacement dial, but if I were you, I would kick and scream for a new watch. Ask them how long it sat in the store before you purchased it. It would sound as if the watch is not doing what it should, so you should be able to ask for a new one.
Bear in mind that the Aqua Terra does not have much lume on the dial and hands anyway. My one needs a slight blast of light to charge up the Luminova and there are some nights when I switch off the lights before heading to bed, glance down at my wrist in the dark and see...nothing. Or a very faint minute hand. The AquaTerra hands are slightly angled so as to be visible from many different angles, but I have to admit that luminosity in total darkness is not one of this watch's strongpoints.
Having said that, my AT is probably my favorite watch. In every other respect, it's one of the best watches Omega has ever made. Modern design, yet it harks back to classic watch designs from the '50s and '60s. Easily a better looking watch than the new Cal 8500 version due out soon.
But that's just my humble opinion.
Best of luck.

teeritz

·
Registered
968 Posts
Try this, before you send in it!
Take a bright flashlight, preferably with LED (surefire ftw) and shine it directly at the watch for around 5-10 minutes. That should be able to give you atleast couple of hours of lume.

If that doesn't work, be sure to either send it in or ask your AD for a replacement!

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Here are some great lume shots of the AT, I assume you did not get the new model.

https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=201874&highlight=terra+lume

You will see in these pics that the AT does not have very much lume, and the dial markers are dim compared to the PO with the same light exposure.

Also Superluminova does not wear out, at least, it has not been reported as wearing out or fading that I have seen or read.

I think the problem is that the AT does not use very much lume, and the less lume there is, the less there is to charge and the less time it will glow.

I hope the pictures in the link will help you, but I don't believe (without pictures from you) that your watch is defective. The AT is a dress watch (I think?) so less glow was called for then a tool watch.

P.S. Most watches need a charge before going to bed to glow nice and bright and all night long... :)
The only way you can be sure is to go back to your AD and test your with a flashlight (LED as recommended is good) against another they have in stock in a dark room.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,397 Posts

·
Registered
3,812 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for everyones feedback. Maybe it isnt a defect. Whatever the case, I love my watch. I was even going to wait for the newest AT 231.10.42.21 but realized that the current AT seemed a bit more elegant and classy. But then again, I wouldnt complain if one dropped on my lap..

Great forum.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I've got a PO and I've never got the big deal about the lume, Mine shows absolutely nothing at night. Sure, if you go get a big torch and shine it at the watch before you go to bed for 30 seconds, then you'll see the 'great lume', but who does that? I've not seen anything in the night coming from that watch.

Secondly, even when it is held under light for a minute, that fades pretty damn quick, so I would love to know why some PO owners wake in the mid of the night and see the lights on Broadway coming from theirs?

Anyone.....??

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've got a PO and I've never got the big deal about the lume, Mine shows absolutely nothing at night. Sure, if you go get a big torch and shine it at the watch before you go to bed for 30 seconds, then you'll see the 'great lume', but who does that? I've not seen anything in the night coming from that watch.

Secondly, even when it is held under light for a minute, that fades pretty damn quick, so I would love to know why some PO owners wake in the mid of the night and see the lights on Broadway coming from theirs?

Anyone.....??
I took my Seamaster Chrono with me on holiday last September and wore it pretty much 24 hours a day for 2 weeks, and the lume was strong throughout the night as it was in glorious sunshine for 8 to 10 hours every day.

Back here in the UK (and back at work) partly hidden under a sleeve for most of every day, the face of the watch can hardly be seen at all in the dark.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I took my Seamaster Chrono with me on holiday last September and wore it pretty much 24 hours a day for 2 weeks, and the lume was strong throughout the night as it was in glorious sunshine for 8 to 10 hours every day.

Back here in the UK (and back at work) partly hidden under a sleeve for most of every day, the face of the watch can hardly be seen at all in the dark.
Fair point!

·
Registered
801 Posts
some of these pictures of lumes are also misleading. The wonderful photographers we have on this site give you great pics of everything to their finest detail. I also think, that they leave the shutter open longer when taking a pic, this usually leads to a lume which is brighter then expected.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Ok, it is a sunny day, what time is it, maybe noon? Short sleeve shirt, watch soaks up the sun for a few hours... (The superluminova does glow as soon as it is charged, it does not wait for the lack of light to glow.)

So time for bed, the watch has not seen light for (being conservative) say five hours. Of course it won't be blazing bright. Hit it with a flashlight for a few moments, and it will produce a bright glow for a few moments (not as long as it would have if it was charged with sunlight) and then settle into a dim glow for many hours.

Hope that helps. :D

·
Registered
324 Posts
Quite honestly, I find that the lume from any of my watches (Rolex GMT, Speedy Pro, and AT) sucks rocks.

With the AT in particular, there is very little lume there, so not much mass to store energy and the actual area for illumination is strong. So, I don't expect to be able to read the AT in darkness at all.

Even with my GMT, which has a fair bit of lume (but still not like some of the Seamasters, where the dial is practically dipped in it) tends to conk out in a relatively short time after darkness.

I would say that the exercise of shining a flashlight on it before darkness just so you can read the time is pretty ridiculous.

I hear about other folks that say their lume lasts for many hours, but that just isn't my experience.

You can put a man on the moon, but you can't develop a decent lume that stays strong...

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
While I appreciate that the lume shots we see on this forum are enhanced, particularly with being sat under a lamp prior to the pic, there are many who say it burns bright all night.. Same with the SMP, which I too have, and haven't experienced it since I've had it. On the PO if I've been out in bright light, remember it's London, so not often, it does glow, but that fades in minutes, not hours

·
Registered
251 Posts
fades in minutes, not hours
I'm not sure what the criterion is. My guess is that the mixed views on the lume of various Seamasters are due in part to different expectations.

While I cannot read a book or find my keys by the lume on my SMP after a while after it is exposed to bright light, there's enough glow all night that I can clearly read the time, without my glasses, at 5:30 in the morning. And, as daylight emerges, and the contrast of the hands with the dial takes over, there is no point when I cannot read the time. With my Great White, which lacked that contrast, there was a transitional point in the crepuscular light when it was impossible to read the time. So, certainly, dial design along with lume is a factor.

Bradley

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
It is what it is. There are no defects or differences. Only as stated above different expectations, and different amounts of lume exposed to different amounts of light.

I know that my SMP is brighter then my PO, the SMP has more lume.

I know to expect the watch by bedtime to not be charged enough to glow bright enough to be seen, so I charge it up before bed. This is normal and not a defect, the stuff only glows for about eight hours...

I know that it is VERY bright after being exposed to bright light of any kind, and after a small amount of time (ten minutes?) it fades to a lesser glow. It glows long enough that I can read it at anytime during the night, but you can't read a book by it.

There are Tritium Glass Tubes that glow without any light for years. Look at Ball watches if this is something you are interested in.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts