WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Well, since your expectation was not met, why not compromise, carry a inexpensive and bright LED flashlight in your car and shine it on your watch to charge it up and see what happens? Compromise?

And if it STILL does not live up to your desires, then it was not meant to be.

Here is the deal.

If you have a problem, and there is a solution to your problem, but you refuse the solution, then you have to except the problem and move on with it.

Anyways, this is based on expectations, which differ from person to person. The only way to change someone's expectations is with testing and facts. Many facts have already been presented in this thread, so I guess that leaves the testing up to you.

Good Luck. :)

P.S. Evening? Are we talking Dusk, or total darkness? If total darkness, did you hold the watch up to your desk lamp and then walk directly to your car? How long between the walk to the car and the last time the watch was exposed to light? I guess what I am trying to make clear, is that there are many reasons that your expectations are not being met, and I feel that most of those expectations have nothing to do with Superluminova. Even a tritium tube watch won't look like it is glowing unless there is no ambient light for it to compete with. It really does take absolute darkness to see the glow of a watch, unless it is very recently charged with a bright light...

Testing has been done, and even more extensive testing compared to what was mentioned. Why is it that my results are considered not meeting expextations, and other peoples results are presented as facts?

I know this is an Omega forum, but there seems to be others in my situation who have not had the intensity and duration Omega has actually set as expectations. Fact is, I accpeted the luminosity as not meeting my expectations, and still love the watch. It seems however, that many Omega collectors cant seem to comprehend or "believe" that there are luminosity issues and challenege any notion against. Thanks for the luck...I should get a PO or something if this continues.

As for testing, it was done dusk, dawn, evening. Check this, I even took off my watch for a week straight and put it under very bright lights for two hours prior to my departure. I left in the evenings at around 6pm when its faintly dark, and left at 8pm when its compeltely dark. During those conditions in my car, I could not tell time looking at my watch. You would think there would be a hint of brightness, but none. And my car is really dark inside driving at night. Keep in mind, the watch was charged for hours (literally taken off my wrist and udner bright lamps for a couple hours prior to departure).

Believe me, i did my testing, and just like th other bloke mentioned, I expect to be able to read my watch throughout the day/evening, not just in daylight. And, I am not getting the performance that the majority has claimed, but am part of the minority that believes Omegas luminosity isnt all that great on some of their watches. I do agree with one person who mentioned that the AT's have very limited amounts of glow material...and that may be the reson why. Still, i believe that with the quality, and reputation of Omega, that all models of watches with luminiosity should be visisble under reasonable circumstances.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Testing has been done, and even more extensive testing compared to what was mentioned. Why is it that my results are considered not meeting expextations, and other peoples results are presented as facts?

I know this is an Omega forum, but there seems to be others in my situation who have not had the intensity and duration Omega has actually set as expectations. Fact is, I accpeted the luminosity as not meeting my expectations, and still love the watch. It seems however, that many Omega collectors cant seem to comprehend or "believe" that there are luminosity issues and challenege any notion against. Thanks for the luck...I should get a PO or something if this continues.

As for testing, it was done dusk, dawn, evening. Check this, I even took off my watch for a week straight and put it under very bright lights for two hours prior to my departure. I left in the evenings at around 6pm when its faintly dark, and left at 8pm when its compeltely dark. During those conditions in my car, I could not tell time looking at my watch. You would think there would be a hint of brightness, but none. And my car is really dark inside driving at night. Keep in mind, the watch was charged for hours (literally taken off my wrist and udner bright lamps for a couple hours prior to departure).

Believe me, i did my testing, and just like th other bloke mentioned, I expect to be able to read my watch throughout the day/evening, not just in daylight. And, I am not getting the performance that the majority has claimed, but am part of the minority that believes Omegas luminosity isnt all that great on some of their watches. I do agree with one person who mentioned that the AT's have very limited amounts of glow material...and that may be the reson why. Still, i believe that with the quality, and reputation of Omega, that all models of watches with luminiosity should be visisble under reasonable circumstances.
I totally understand what you are saying. Omega has better lume than many other Swiss mechanicals. But if lume is important, the Seikos and some divers of other brands will glow brighter and longer.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts

Not once in my latest post did I mention Omega. This last post has nothing to do with Omega or the forum, for the record. It had everything to do with Superluminova.

Anyways, have you tried a Seiko with Lumabright (same stuff different name?) or any other watch with SL? Have you tried the flashlight at all, once you are in the car? I know you don't want to, but have you tried it, just to see this one simple fact:

That there is too much ambient light on your drive home to see any glow from your watch. It may glow bright green for five or ten minutes and then dim out to where you can't see it anymore. This would represent a problem with the amount of Lume the AT has and the amount of ambient light that is making it hard to see the glow. Two hours of charging might not matter if the watch maximizes it's charge in 1 minute.

Other people's results as facts? What are you talking about here? You openly state that your watch does not meet your expectations, I simply believe your expectations based on your watch are too high, and that you refuse based on your comments to except facts. "I don't want to use a flashlight, I should not have to." Well, the fact is, to MAYBE get what you want out of your watch, you may have to, and that is one reality of your expectations being too high. You won't know if your watch is capable to be bight enough to be seen on the way home without a quick charge when you get in. If it is not, then the watch never had enough lume in the first place to meet your requirements. If something can't perform, no amount of expectation will make it happen, so you are just making yourself upset. I am not asking you to lower your expectation, I am asking you to compare your watch to others, and change your style of thinking about SL, and use a flashlight to get the maximum performance that it can give you. It does not charge all day and glow all night. It charges when it does, and glows brightly for a few minutes while becoming dim, and holds that dim glow for a longer time. Nothing can be done about this. I don't know how bright, for how long, and how dim for how long your AT is, and I don't think you know either. It may be too bright in your car for your watch's glow to be seen at all!

P.S. In the end, your AT just does not have much lume as you and others have stated, and may never have been able to meet your expectations.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Not once in my latest post did I mention Omega. This last post has nothing to do with Omega or the forum, for the record. It had everything to do with Superluminova.

Anyways, have you tried a Seiko with Lumabright (same stuff different name?) or any other watch with SL? Have you tried the flashlight at all, once you are in the car? I know you don't want to, but have you tried it, just to see this one simple fact:

That there is too much ambient light on your drive home to see any glow from your watch. It may glow bright green for five or ten minutes and then dim out to where you can't see it anymore. This would represent a problem with the amount of Lume the AT has and the amount of ambient light that is making it hard to see the glow. Two hours of charging might not matter if the watch maximizes it's charge in 1 minute.

Other people's results as facts? What are you talking about here? You openly state that your watch does not meet your expectations, I simply believe your expectations based on your watch are too high, and that you refuse based on your comments to except facts. "I don't want to use a flashlight, I should not have to." Well, the fact is, to MAYBE get what you want out of your watch, you may have to, and that is one reality of your expectations being too high. You won't know if your watch is capable to be bight enough to be seen on the way home without a quick charge when you get in. If it is not, then the watch never had enough lume in the first place to meet your requirements. If something can't perform, no amount of expectation will make it happen, so you are just making yourself upset. I am not asking you to lower your expectation, I am asking you to compare your watch to others, and change your style of thinking about SL, and use a flashlight to get the maximum performance that it can give you. It does not charge all day and glow all night. It charges when it does, and glows brightly for a few minutes while becoming dim, and holds that dim glow for a longer time. Nothing can be done about this. I don't know how bright, for how long, and how dim for how long your AT is, and I don't think you know either. It may be too bright in your car for your watch's glow to be seen at all!

P.S. In the end, your AT just does not have much lume as you and others have stated, and may never have been able to meet your expectations.
"I don't want to use a flashlight, I should not have to." - That is correct, I dont want to use a flashlight to get luminosity, but I already tested it. If you insist on me changing my style of expectations, that is purely subjective. First off, the expectations for an Omega and its performance is set by Omega. A first time purchaser of an Omega would get the impression from the website and this forum that they would have no problems with indicating time in darkness. And yes, i do know how long my luminosity lasts, you need to stop telling me that my Omega doesent do what its supposed to because of my expectactions. My expectations were from the perspective of a first time buyer, not supporter of the Omega Brand.

Lets face it, some people swear their omega give lume all night, and some barely see this lasting more than an hour or so. I also understand gthe perspective that there may be too much ambient light between darkness and total darkness in my car, but thats like saying live with the fact that you spent thousands on a watch that wont be effective between the times of 6:30-7pm (depending on where you are)..and that is unacceptable I think, for a watch maker to have glow functions and not have it available when looking at your time when it matters the most.

Not to sound confrontational, but it seems some just seem to indirectly take jabs at me for saying these things.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I am not taking jabs at you. We both disagree with each other. But I have to state it again, hopefully for the last time.

What I have been writing has nothing at all to do with Omega. I am only talking about Superluminova which is used in many other watches, and they would have the SAME effect if used the same way as you use your Omega. Remember that the amount of lume material used on the dial effects how bright and how long it glows. I was curious if you used a flashlight to charge your watch when you got into your car, and if it made any difference at all, because this would tell you if your watch could even glow bright enough to overcome the time of day you wish to read it, and if you had compared the same procedure to another watch with Superluminova to find out if your watch is faulty or simply just does not have enough lume.

There are only two styles of current watch Luminations that I can think of that fit your personal opinion of how a watch should function for you:

1. Electroluminescence, examples would be the Omega X-33 and the Timex Indiglo... This would be bright enough at a touch of a button for you to read in most any light.

2. Tritium Gas tubes, examples would be The Ball Watch Co. and Traser watches... These glow all the time, they do not need to be charged to glow, however if the ambient light in your car on your drive home is brighter then the glow of the watch, you are in the same boat with your current Omega.

P.S. From the link I posted on pg. 1 of this thread, post #7, it shows how an AT glows. It does not glow much at all, it really does not have much lume. At this point you and I would be simply discussing where you and Omega see differently about their advertising.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

After much research and lurking on this site, I decided to purchase my first Omega last month. It came down to the Aqua Terra or a Rolex Date Just. After much research, I concluded that the Omega is more precise, more beautiful, and a much better value.

I got the Aqua Terra 2503.30.00, 39.2mm Silver Dial, Steel Braclet. I debated the dial, but opted for silver over black because it just seems so timeless, and black seemed too common (justifiably so).

I have had the watch now for over a month, and absolutely love it.

One thing I noted however, was that in the evening, driving at night, or when I am about to go to bed, I see no glow at all. I cant tell the time. My understanding of Omega Watches were that the luminosity was very high, and maybe even to a fault. The problem I have is as much as I love this watch, I cant tell time in the evening without light, or even driving in my car in the evening.

Is there something im missing here? I even fade the lights lower till its pitch dark to see if my eyes werent adjusting correctly, and I can barely see the luminosity even after being in pitch darkness for over 5 minutes.

Has anyone had this type of problem?

Thanks...
Hi
I got the seamster pro with the grey face payed £6390 and can't tell the time at night went back to Ernest jones but because of corona 19 and Christmas they could not help. but I'm still on it as I can't see the time at night I'm sure omega will resolve this issue I have.

61 - 67 of 67 Posts