WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my first Omega, Speedmaster Auto Day/Date

I don’t know much about the watch but I decided this was a good starter model and if all goes well I’ll be buying a second soon enough.

I’m very happy with it but I have a few concerns due to the guy I bought it from seeming a bit shady. I do know it’s used and I don’t think it’s a fake but just in case what do you guys think?

Note – It does have the laser etched number on the back of the case you just cant see it in the photos.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Hi,

It looks pretty authentic to me, but there are a few ways to check.

Did you get boxes or papers? Is there a number etched on the caseback under the lug at the 7'o clock position. Are all the functions working perfectly...you might want to measure the diameter too. Without the crown I believe that model should be 38 mm.

What made you purchase the watch though even if the seller might have looked a bit shady to you?

Glimmer

I just bought my first Omega, Speedmaster Auto Day/Date

I don’t know much about the watch but I decided this was a good starter model and if all goes well I’ll be buying a second soon enough.

I’m very happy with it but I have a few concerns due to the guy I bought it from seeming a bit shady. I do know it’s used and I don’t think it’s a fake but just in case what do you guys think?

Note – It does have the laser etched number on the back of the case you just cant see it in the photos.

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
I don't see any problems with it, Rich. I think you got a good one.

Congrats and welcome to the forum!

eric

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,

It looks pretty authentic to me, but there are a few ways to check.

Did you get boxes or papers? Is there a number etched on the caseback under the lug at the 7'o clock position. Are all the functions working perfectly...you might want to measure the diameter too. Without the crown I believe that model should be 38 mm.

What made you purchase the watch though even if the seller might have looked a bit shady to you?

Glimmer
Hi Guys! Thanks for the replies.

To answer your question, as of last year I live in Japan and one of the large very reputable departments stores here was having what I could only describe as a Brand flea market on there top floor. They had cleared a large space and had all these dealers out there selling their stuff but everything was used top brand items. My wife picked up a Channel purse she had been wanting that was brand new but pre-owned for about $900 which was 50% cheaper then new. I went looking for a watch.
There was allot of Omegas there, I spotted an older speedy pro for about $650 but had no box or papers. I then saw this guy, he had literally a pile of 200-300 watches most were Japanese but he also had another case with 40+ all foreign brands only 3 were in Boxes, 1 Hermes 1 Frank and mine.
I looked it over very well and it did have papers, the laser etching is on the back of the case not the lug but I had looked at this model before and it was the same as the one at the authorized dealer.
The guy seemed scruffy and maybe a pit shady and when I asked him how old it was he only knew it was newer then 2000. My wife assured me that departments store screens all these people and would not let someone sell fakes in their store, after listening to her and looking at the price ($1,200) about $700 cheaper then the cheapest I’d seen it anywhere else I went ahead and got it.

It wasn’t till a few days later that I started getting worried about it.

Thanks for the welcome and feedback, I’m considering making this a new hobby so if all goes well with this one could be picking up another one soon

·
Registered
163 Posts
Nice watch I think you have a real winner and got a great deal. But 900 bucks for a purse is that correct??? Holy smoke.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice watch I think you have a real winner and got a great deal. But 900 bucks for a purse is that correct??? Holy smoke.
Thanks, it’s relieving to hear.

As far as the purse, it’s actually more of a large wallet but yes 900 bucks.
When I first came here I would have never imagined letting her do that but now that I’ve been here for awhile it’s not such a big deal. Japan is incredible, every girl here, even HS girls own $1000+ purses and wallets. I have never seen so many people wearing high end stuff as I do here, its totally incredible. Japan makes up something like 41% of the whole worlds luxury goods market, here’s an interesting read - http://www.jetro.org/index2.php?option=com_content&do_pdf=1&id=361

But all that to say, yeah $900, she has 4 that cost at least that much including one that cost $1700 but I guess she could never tell me no for buying a new watch then;-)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts