WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings! I wish my first post on this forum wasn't to discuss a busted watch, but such is life. My PAM 159—purchased new in 2005—has given up the ghost after nearly 11 years of daily wear. Over the past several months the watch was losing more and more time, so I figured it was about time for a long overdue service. Just the other day, however, the crown seized up while I was winding it. There wasn't much warning: the crown turned one or two revolutions before a there was a distinct grinding/hesitating sensation and I immediately stopped winding. Pulling the crown out one step, it rotated freely and I was able to change the date and GMT hand. Pulling the crown out to its farthest position, I was able to change the time forward and backward. Pushing the crown all the way back in, I gently attempted to wind the watch but the crown wouldn't turn.

Before sending the watch in for service I thought to turn to the folks on this forum for some advice. First, any idea what this problem might be? I'm very curious. But most importantly: where should I send the watch for service, Panerai or an independent watchmaker? I live in Massachusetts, so if anyone knows of a reputable watchmaker that can service the ETA Valjoux 7750-P1 movement I'd love to hear it.

Of course, there is a silver lining to this. I've been browsing the classified section of the forum in search of something to keep my wrist company while my beloved Panny is out of commission!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome to the forum, I think since it is an ETA movement any experienced watchmaker can service it but I would first check with Panerai service center in the US. This is the phone number I was able to find from Panerai's website 1 866 374-4430

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
582 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

11 years without routine service is too much, isn't it?

Sent via post office using snail mail.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Service your watches every 5-6 years. Plan ahead and save the headaches! All the best with the service costs :)
PS - if you stick with a brand-recognized service centre, you keep your investments safe.

·
Registered
421 Posts
11 years and no posts???????? haha.

But seriously, since this is the first service, I would send it to Panerai. Even if it is $1000, that is not a bad cost average per year.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know -- long overdue in joining and posting on the forum!

Thanks for the replies. Obviously, over a decade is too long to go without any maintenance. But as each year passed with no issues, I'd simply tell myself, 'Next year I'll send it out for a checkup.' But I agree, sending it to Panerai is probably the right move, regardless of the price.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Given it is an ETA based PAM - I would have no hesitation giving it to an experienced watch maker. If it had an in-house movement you have very little choice in the matter.

It's funny, Rolex collectors/buyers hugely value a watch that has been serviced by RSC; but with PAM's I don't find a service history from Richemont to translate the same way. Their servicing costs for an ETA movement are crazy in my view; I sort of get it for the P9000; P5000 JLC etc, but not for the ETAs.

Just my $.02 - I am sure it will be up and running in no time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Given it is an ETA based PAM - I would have no hesitation giving it to an experienced watch maker. If it had an in-house movement you have very little choice in the matter.

It's funny, Rolex collectors/buyers hugely value a watch that has been serviced by RSC; but with PAM's I don't find a service history from Richemont to translate the same way. Their servicing costs for an ETA movement are crazy in my view; I sort of get it for the P9000; P5000 JLC etc, but not for the ETAs.

Just my $.02 - I am sure it will be up and running in no time.
That's interesting. I'll never trade/sell this watch so I'm not overly concerned with who services it, only that a quality job is done. Because, hey, once it comes back it needs to be able to survive another decade of wear and neglect from its delinquent owner! ��

1 - 9 of 9 Posts