WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to buy my first nice watch and cannot decide between 3 options. I am 30 and work in a conservative office (so nothing too flashy). My top choices are the Jaeger reverso classique in stainless, the midsize stainless Rolex datejust, and the small stainless Cartier tank. I am kind of leaning toward the Jaeger because I live in NY and it seems like every girl in her mid twenties here wears a Cartier or Rolex likely bought as a graduation present. I have not been able to try the Jaeger in person-the store I went to only sold the small ladies version and I want the more midsize version. I am also confused because I've read that the Jaeger is the best watch of the options but heard somewhere that the brand was acquired by a large company that produces many brands, including Cartier (is this right?). The Cartier is beautiful and delicate. And my husband is pushing for the Rolex because I tend to be really hard on jewelry and watches.

Help!

·
Registered
900 Posts
Jaeger-LeCoultre and Cartier are both currently managed by Richemont (to the best of my knowledge), but that doesn't mean that JLCs and Cartiers are getting pumped out of the same factory or anything; the management of the brands only plays a role on the buisiness side of things, as far as I see it. Similar to Omega, Breguet, Blancpain and Glashutte Original (among many others) all being part of the Swatch Group. I wouldn't let that detail deter me from either brand, personally. If my understanding is wrong, someone correct me. I don't claim to be an expert.

The Reverso gets my vote!

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Sounds like your husband likes the Rolx - not you. Buy him one (maybe he's hinting?) though they are fairly robust watches and if you are abusive it's a good choice.
The Reverso may be a bit large looking on your wrist if it is small, then again, you may like that look.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
Welcome to the forum. If this were a choice for a man, I would say the Datejust or the Reverso. For a woman, I would opt for the Cartier Tank. The brand Cartier has a common perception of relating to all things jewelry and feminine, and I find that the Tank is particularly attractive on the female wrist.

The Reverso is an awesome watch, but the heritage of the polo grounds doesn't sit quite so well with me on a women's watch. Rolex is ubiquitous and it is almost a right of passage in the business world for men. I would do something a bit different.

If it were for my wife I would go:

1. Tank
2. Reverso
3. Datejust

In reality, these are all great choices, and it is hard to go wrong with any of them.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I vote reverso as well. If you're open to other non traditional options try the Lady Serenade from Glashutte Original - I love that watch.

·
Registered
985 Posts
For a woman, I would opt for the Cartier Tank. The brand Cartier has a common perception of relating to all things jewelry and feminine, and I find that the Tank is particularly attractive on the female wrist.
I'll second that :)

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
1. JLC 2. Cartier 3. Rollie from my view. 1. Cartier 2. JLC 3. Rolex from my wife's POV. edit you might want to remind your husband the JLC Reverso was designed for polo players to wear while playing with it flipped of course.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
It's going to be your watch, nor your husband's, nor anyone else's here. It sounds to me like you've basically already made up your mind. My only suggestion would be to try and find a seller who has the watch you want in stock so you can try it on and make sure it's the one you want.

·
Registered
14,925 Posts
Mmmmm, Reverso all the way from my perspective, given your desires about the office setting and wearability. My wife, on the other hand, sees nothing in the JLC but did just chime in and opine that your thought process regarding the ubiquitousness of the Rolex and Cartier should push you definitely toward the Reverso . .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for your responses. Just to confuse things, let me add the Patek Twenty 4 stainless to the mix. I know I said I don't want anything too flashy, but this watch looks incredible. And unfortunately, this is another watch I have not yet seen in person. I actually think this might be less noticeable than a rolex to my coworkers because most of them have never heard of the brand.

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
I vote Reverso, and salute you for your WISdom! The Cartier would be nice, and the Rolex is a safe/predictable choice. All will serve you well, but the Reverso (to me) is a step above.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Thanks for your responses. Just to confuse things, let me add the Patek Twenty 4 stainless to the mix. I know I said I don't want anything too flashy, but this watch looks incredible. And unfortunately, this is another watch I have not yet seen in person. I actually think this might be less noticeable than a rolex to my coworkers because most of them have never heard of the brand.
You haven't mentioned whether you care about a mechanical movement or if you are fine with a quartz movement. For me although the Patek is a Patek it is a lot of money for a quartz watch, it is their best selling women's watch though. I am still completely in the JLC camp for the combination of look, heritage (of the model) and movement. Again, a lot of money for a quartz watch even if it is a Patak, you could get the JLC and the Cartier for about the same money. That may be the ticket, get the JLC and a round Cartier, say the Ballon Blue for Patak money. The mid-sized Ballon Blue looks GREAT on a women's wrist. BTW the Ballon Blue is a watch that must be "seen in the metal" to appreciate.

·
Premium Member
61,729 Posts
I would go with the Cartier Tank though the final decision rests with you - just remember who will be wearing it. Don't worry about folks recognising a brand of watch you are wearing - I wore a DJ for 20 years and in that time something like 5 people noticed it.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
So are you interested in going mechanical or quartz (battery powered)? If the latter, then they should all be equally "tough" from shocks and knocks so you don't have to worry about that. For my money, I think the Tank is the loveliest of the four. Cartier has long been one of the iconic dress watches for both men and women and they will always be en vogue. Second I'd vote for the JLC, they are the watchmakers watch and the Reverso is another timeless classic, you could even have the back engraved to commemorate a significant event if this coincides with anything. Third, I'd choose the PP; it's design I think won't be as classic as the aforementioned pieces but it's a Patek, enough said. Lastly I'd go with the Rolex, it's nice but ubiquitous and doesn't do much for me.

But they're all high quality watches and you can't really go wrong with any of them.

·
Registered
647 Posts
From your 3 choices, I'd go for the Reverso. If I may suggest another option, try the Zenith Heritage Lady Moonphase. It's a 33mm case so not far off a mid-size. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts