WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I'm 21 years old and looking for my first rolex. I definitely want to get the most bang for my buck. I found an early 1980s Rolex Submariner Two-Tone (gold and stainless steel with blue face and bezel) for $4800. The watch hasn't been serviced for 4 years and there are some apparent scuffs and scratches. The gold definitely needs to be buffed. Do you think $4800 is a good deal for me? Would $4000 be a good deal? Any comments would be really appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Seller has listed no lowballs, 700+ off asking price is a little low IMO. Also need to factor in the price of service as well.

Being 22 myself I would also stray from wearing gold unless you're heart set on that extra factor. Might be a little off putting to a potential employer to show up wearing a gold Rolex..

Best of luck

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You really think a two-tone is flashy? I see what you mean if it's a solid god rolex (it'd be off-putting if anybody under 35 wore one imo). I have a Longines Hydroconquest with a black dial which replaces a classic black Rolex Sub. I don't have a rolex yet so if I can get this one for a good price, might as well pull the trigger. I mean I can make the case (no pun intended) that the watch needs to be serviced and polished, perhaps giving me the edge on agreeing on a lower price. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Ok, so I'm 21 years old and looking for my first rolex. I definitely want to get the most bang for my buck. I found an early 1980s Rolex Submariner Two-Tone (gold and stainless steel with blue face and bezel) for $4800. The watch hasn't been serviced for 4 years and there are some apparent scuffs and scratches. The gold definitely needs to be buffed. Do you think $4800 is a good deal for me? Would $4000 be a good deal? Any comments would be really appreciated. Thanks!
Look for something made the year you were born (X or N serial number). It's still modern enough to have parts available for service for a very very very very long time, and it will add that extra "something" that makes you love it. Not only is it your first rolex, but it was made the year you were born. Sport rolexes (gmt master, submariner, sea dweller, etc..) will be more expensive because they're more popular, but that doesn't mean that the other models (Air king, datejust, date... etc) are less desireable, they just tend to be a little less expensive.

Personally, I'd recommend a stainless steel datejust or date model (depending on your wrist size). The DJ from that time period is 36mm, and the date is 34mm. If you don't care about a date feature, you can get an Air King and have a very inexpensive rolex that will last you forever.

I was born in 82, but my first rolex was a SS DJ with an A serial number (1999). I don't have it anymore, but it was a very nice watch; goes great with jeans or a suit - can't go wrong with a good DJ. As long as I'm making recommendations, look for something with an oyster bracelet if you want it to show minimal stretch - but there's really nothing wrong with the jubilee bracelet either, it's just flashier.

As for the TT sub that you are talking about, I'm a little concerned about the watch. The pictures don't look like it's a fake, but if you look at the clasp, you'll see that there is gold on it; Rolex didn't start putting gold in the center of the clasp until after 2000 or so. That means that the seller is either WAY off on his age estimate, or the bracelet was replaced with a new one when it was serviced 4 years ago. I would ask him which it is, and while I was at it, I'd ask him what the serial number is, too.

If everything adds up, $4800 isn't an "awful" price, but I would think that $4300-4500 is more reasonable; the TT subs are a little less desirable than the SS subs, and $4800 is about what I would expect an SS sub to sell for that was recently serviced in similar condition.

Anyone else with better information feel free to chime in or correct me.

EDIT: Also, ask the seller what the model number of the watch is. A TT submariner made more recently will have the model number 16613; but, if it's from the "early 80's" it could have the model number 16803; comparing the model number/serial number will also give you peace of mind about its authenticity; for example: if the model number was 16803, but it had "W" serial number, would not be a good thing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts