WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Thank you Comrades. I am still wondering abut the hands on mine though. The rest of the watch is in top condition throughout, so I doubt the hands needed replacement. Perhaps some watches came with these originally and some with gold hands, or perhaps the hands on mine were taken later from a Salyut to replace original gold ones. Difficult to tell...The gold hands match the gold theme of the dial, the black (blued ones) on mine match the numbers and are perhaps more readable.

I am inclined to think that the gold ones like on Comrade pmwas example are the correct ones.

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
I am inclined to think that the gold ones like on Comrade pmwas example are the correct ones.
I don't see why the blued hands couldn't be correct as well. You're right in that they're much more readable.

But the length of the hour hand on your watch is very strange. It doesn't match the size/shape of a Molnija or a Salut hand. It's quite blunt and stubby. On both other models, the hands taper to a fine tip; yours just seems to end. At first I thought the tip was just broken off, but even then, it doesn't seem long enough.

I've made a composite below to compare hand length (I tried to control for relative size). It seems to me that the hour hand on yours should reach through to the numbers on the dial, but it doesn't even come close. Maybe it broke off and someone filed down the remains to at least resemble the correct shape? Do you see any evidence of something like this? Curious.

Watch Pocket watch Fashion accessory Analog watch Jewellery

·
Registered
129 Posts
So now there are two gold dial Molnija watches - great confirmation that they really existed ;)
...And Then There Were Three...

Pocket watch Fashion accessory Locket Watch Pendant

Watch Pocket watch Watch accessory Analog watch Fashion accessory

One more pic, with the glass removed. Maybe your Polish friends will find it useful, pmwas? Gold tone Molnia dials are so gorgeous!
Pocket watch Brass Watch Fashion accessory Metal

And, despite appearances, the all-gold dial is very readable. The hands are very reflective, they sparkle even in the dimmest light, and the contrast against the totally matte inner circle is surprisingly high.
// ocram

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Fascinating!

Comrade ocram, your watch makes it more likely that the gold hands are correct and my black ones could be wrong (although your case seems to belong to a later watch judging from the neck of the crown (terminology?)

As Comrade mroatman observed, my hour hand is too short Not only that but it has been painted black (loupe inspection) whereas the minute hand is nicely blued.

So my hands are fishy...and I suspect even more now that the gold hands are the gold standard for the golden dial...

Comrade pmwas, my watch has appeared in the Polish watch forum zegarkiclup.pl you are probably familiar with. I mean the very same piece, check this out: (scroll down, same serial no. and short hour hand)

http://zegarkiclub.pl/forum/topic/104940-mołnia-i-inne-36xx-linia-czasu/page-2

It was posted by zegarkiclub member Narfas, perhaps you can find more information from there.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Mine as well.
Some 1947 mad pieces have the mark,m some not, some have jewel settings, some not - intersting :)
Yes, yours as well. Also there are two types of ч2з logo - small and big one. There is version (better to call it even not theory, but only guess or "urban legend") that watches w/o logo were assembled at ChChZ factory. I found no evidences for that.

·
Registered
129 Posts
It was not until well into 3-47 that the logo appears on Salute (Салют) and Molnija (Молния) movements. Earlier 3-47 movements still show no logo on the train bridge. The logo appears approximately after s/n 40,000.
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Pocket watch

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

// ocram

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
Something just arrived...
A package from Belarus.

It contained parts for my 1947 Molnija!

Metal

There is a balance bridge with 75 scratched on the underside, missing jewel...

Metal Brass Cross

The pallet fork is destroyed, but the escape wheel, made of brass, can be used...

Circle
Metal Spiral Circle Fashion accessory

There also is a silver tone (!!!) balance wheel with damaged roller table.
And the original pallet bridge, I'll show later...

The restoration began with refitting the balance jewel. Straightforward task...

Metal Fashion accessory

Fashion accessory

Then I fitted the watch with the brass escape wheel and a steel pallet fork:

Close-up Macro photography Metal Photography Pattern

Gear Metal Auto part Rim Watch

The fork is not as beautifully shiny as the one it had, but it's no beauty contest, it has to work well together...
ChChZ parts and 2ChZ parts are different and the ChChZ fork won't work without filing the banking posts and I don't want that!

Religious item Cross Font Crucifix Symbol

So I replaced the fork with a 2ChZ steel one...

Spoke Metal

A ChChZ roller table is perfect, on the other hand.

Gear Watch Auto part Metal Hardware accessory

Someone punched the main plate to tilt the balance bridge a bit, I can reverse that with a washer - easiest...

Watch Metal Pocket watch Watch accessory Auto part

All done and running great...

Watch Pocket watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Metal

Maybe I should have turned the roller and the hairspring to 'proper' positions, but... whatever :)

Watch Pocket watch Analog watch Gear Fashion accessory

As a bonus - a 1948 movement I put together from the remaining parts :)

Now I'm happy. Shame about the fork, but all in all - just fantastic :)

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.