WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I'm in the market for my first "serious" watch, having only had cheap quartz watches before. I'm looking to spend up to around £300 (about $500) and am after a divers-style watch, preferably with the ETA 2824-2 automatic movement ( hacking seconds), 300m water resistance, decent lume (at least C1), sapphire crystal (I seem to easily scratch stuff), in brushed stainless steel.

I like the classic look of the Rolex Submariner, which seems smart enough for office wear, as well as in the water, so have been looking at some sub "homage" watches. The one currently at the top of my list is the Steinhart Ocean-1 (http://www.steinhartwatches.de/index.php?id=67&artnr=14&Sel_ID=9#14, in Black (for the classic look).

What do people think of the quality of this watch compared to alternative sub-homages (e.g. Invicta, ARA, Robert, Alpha) or similar watches (e.g. Boschett Ocean Mariner, Helson Shark Diver)? What other diver watches around this price point (possibly up to £400 / $675) are worth considering? Of the non-subs I'm quite tempted by the Helson Shark Diver, which looks very nice in blue, though less so by the Miyota 8215 movement.

NB: I have relatively small wrists, so definitely nothing bigger than 42mm...

For me, one advantage of the Steinhart (and the similar Robert Poseidon: : ) is that this is distributed in Europe (I'm in the UK), so I can (legally) avoid paying import taxes and is more convenient for any customer service issues (and I hear Steinhart are good on customer service, is this true?).

Thanks!

·
Registered
402 Posts
I'd recommend the Titoni line, specifically the Titoni Cosmo King (like Rolex Yachtmaster), Swiss made, 40mm, SS, 200m, Saphire Crystal, nice lume, beautiful bracelet, 2824-2 ETA movement adjusted in house, 60 click uni-directional bezel and approx. -$600. I'm not sure if Titoni is marketed in UK or just Asia.

There is a thread that I started a couple of days ago with a pic of the newest model and the Yachtmaster homage, I'll edit and link it. https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=323651

Good Hunting,
Rafa

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Titono - I had a look at their website (http://www.titoni.ch/ ), but couldn't see an classic-style dive watches...

·
Registered
402 Posts
I took a look at Titoni website it looks like they don't offer the Yachtmaster look anymore but they offer a 42mm Planet Ocean/Sub look that was pictured in the other thread, look under Cosmo King pages 23,24,25 http://www.titoni.ch/en/collection/...&tx_netvtitwatches_pi1[p]=22&cHash=7691b59d36

You may have to look at UK ebay or your local watchdealers if Titoni has a presence in the UK for new old stock for the 40mm Cosmo King with Yachtmaster look.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Since you are UK based, you may want to have a look at Precista watches, as well. No Rolex types, but some very nice alternatives in your price range. Also outside of the U.K. check out Orange Watch Company (search this forum) for some nice Milsub homages.

I own two Debaufre's, (Similar to Steinhart) an Ocean One and the GMT and like them both. I am also about to pull the trigger on an OWC as well.

Lastly some of the alterantes you mentioned are larger than you spec'd, seems the style thse days.

·
Registered
455 Posts
If you really want a sub homage the ocean-1 would probably be your best bet. And as said steinhart is in europe.
There is a beautiful Boschett Reef Ranger Limited Edition for sale on the forum for $500 US. If I wasn't saving for a BALL I would snag it. Im not sure if the seller would ship over seas though.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks RandyPP. One of the issues with the OWC one is that it doesn't have a date function, which I really want (though am not so sure about the cyclops on the Ocean-1).

Some other options I've been looking at are the "Vintage Red" version of the Ocean-1 (http://www.steinhartwatches.de/index.php?id=67&artnr=191&Sel_ID=9#191), which has a date window, but no cyclops, better C-3 lume and domed plexiglas (which I'm not so sure about...)

Also there's the MK.II Blackwater (http://www.mkiiwatches.com/WSWrapper.jsp?mypage=cd01_us.htm), which can be customised to taste and looks very nice, though is a bit more expensive, doesn't come with a bracelet and has a 12 week(!) lead time...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks RandyPP. One of the issues with the OWC one is that it doesn't have a date function, which I really want (though am not so sure about the cyclops on the Ocean-1).

Some other options I've been looking at are the "Vintage Red" version of the Ocean-1 (http://www.steinhartwatches.de/index.php?id=67&artnr=191&Sel_ID=9#191), which has a date window, but no cyclops, better C-3 lume and domed plexiglas (which I'm not so sure about...)

Also there's the MK.II Blackwater (http://www.mkiiwatches.com/WSWrapper.jsp?mypage=cd01_us.htm), which can be customised to taste and looks very nice, though is a bit more expensive, doesn't come with a bracelet and has a 12 week(!) lead time...
One thing to checkout on the "Vintage Red" is the Bezel, on my Debaufre's they are actually different (60 click on the Ocean and 120 on the GMT) I think the "Vintage Red" uses the 120 click..The reason I mention this is that the 120 click (at least mine does have a it of backplay)..Personally I really like a sapphire crystal, but am in different to the cyclops.

Lastly another one to check out is Ebay seller "erkahund" This is Roland Kemmner, who is a former Fricker engineer that has also done some watches for Time Factors (Precsita) . He currently is listing a Subish styled diver in your price range that has a date at 4:30 with a black background/white font and no cyclops. Not sure if the dial and hands work for you.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One thing to checkout on the "Vintage Red" is the Bezel, on my Debaufre's they are actually different (60 click on the Ocean and 120 on the GMT) I think the "Vintage Red" uses the 120 click..The reason I mention this is that the 120 click (at least mine does have a it of backplay)..Personally I really like a sapphire crystal, but am in different to the cyclops.
I'd rather have the sapphire crystal, but without the cyclops (and C3 lume is a definite plus on the vintage red)...

Lastly another one to check out is Ebay seller "erkahund" This is Roland Kemmner, who is a former Fricker engineer that has also done some watches for Time Factors (Precsita) . He currently is listing a Subish styled diver in your price range that has a date at 4:30 with a black background/white font and no cyclops. Not sure if the dial and hands work for you.
Ah, yes, I think I found the watches you mean "Taucher-Uhr Kemmner "turtle" mit Werk ETA 2824-2 swiss", they look quite nice, though am not sure about the hands, nor the position of the date...

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'd rather have the sapphire crystal, but without the cyclops (and C3 lume is a definite plus on the vintage red)...
The C1 lume on the standard models is nothing to get excited about. Perhaps they will swap out dials. A watchmaker can alsoremove the cyclops if you perfer..Which at least on the my Debaufre appears to be a 2.0X not 2.5X, but it does honestly get the job done..I think the applied markers are also nice too...

Ah, yes, I think I found the watches you mean "Taucher-Uhr Kemmner "turtle" mit Werk ETA 2824-2 swiss", they look quite nice, though am not sure about the hands, nor the position of the date...
That is the watch I mentioned...Nice price, well respected guy, Personally I like the date window treament, but that's about it as far as the dial goes...The hands don't really do it for me either...

Another option to consider is a modded Seiko SKX031K from Yobokies, He is a well know forum member and can give you some affordable options in that style watch too.

·
Registered
52 Posts
All sound suggestions. My 2 censt is go with the Steinhart Ocean-1. They make an excellent watch and it'll be as close to the Submariner as you'll get and they are well built!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All sound suggestions. My 2 censt is go with the Steinhart Ocean-1. They make an excellent watch and it'll be as close to the Submariner as you'll get and they are well built!
I think I've decided on the Steinhart Ocean-1 - the question now is do I go for the standard model (sapphire glass, cyclops date, C1 lume) or the "Vintage Red" (domed plexiglas, date, but no cyclops, brighter C3 lume). I much prefer the styling of the "Vintage Red", though am a little worried about the easily scratched plexiglas...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BTW I ended up buying the "Vintage red" version, have decided I can live with more scratch-able (but easily repairable) acrylic crystal on this, in exchange for the great vintage looks, also Steinhart and going to send a spare acrylic crystal, in case I ever badly scratch the original - good customer service!

Will let you know how I get on with the watch...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Though if I had more money, I would've been very tempted by an Omega Planet Ocean (42mm version, in black).... :roll:

·
Affordables Moderator
17,578 Posts
While I don't think you can go wrong with Steinhart/Debaufre IMHO, check out Sandoz over on the PMWF. They have a few sub styles you may like. The Hong Kong sub is a little cheaper but has a smaller crown and a 2836 day/date without displaying the day) rather than a 2824 in the Singapore sub.
Both are nice watches for the price.

There is also the St. Moritz Momentum Aquamatic II, sub style with 2824, check out seller "Guerards" on eBay. Since I already have a (modded) Sandoz, if I was in the market for a sub homage the St Moritz would be on its way to me.

Cheers,
Griff

1 - 17 of 17 Posts