WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I recently discovered the automatic watch world about four months ago and have been lurking on this forum extensively, enjoying both the real life watch photographs and the discussion. So far, I have acquired a few Seikos, specifically the SKX007, Orange Monster, and the SNK809. I am really, really enjoying the watches and choosing which to wear every money is quite a joy. I wear suits for work and love the completion of my look based on my daily watch of choice. (I know these aren't dress watches, but I think you get bonus style points nowadays for even wearing a mechanical watch. Plus, I see people wearing formal business attire with all types of watches - dress, sport, bracelet, leather, and NATO- they all look great! I feel a watch is one way to show some personal style.)

I am ready to jump into the Swiss realm and have been thoroughly eyeing the Hamilton chronograph lineup. My work requires me to keep my time, and I thought that a chronograph would be a suitable addition to my growing watch collection. I like the X-Patrol, X-Wind, and just discovered the Frogman.

With respect to these watches, I have a few questions that I could not find answers. The X-patrol seems pretty self explanatory to me, and I like the refined, dressy design and the butterfly clasp rubber band. The X-Wind has a great aesthetic as well, trading off some dress features for the ruggedness of the screw down crowns. Concerning the X-wind, is the scale useful for anything aside from the wind calculations? I heard that the X-patrol has a standard aviation scale allowing for various calculations, aside from those that would be useful to a pilot. I have not been able to find any information relating to the usefulness of the X-wind aside from its main intended purpose.

I am also very curious and intrigued with the Frogman, sporting the vintage touches with the "eye" magnifiers. This watch grabs my attention more than the others due to the uniqueness, and I love that it is a chronograph that does not have the traditional busy design involving the three subdials. Further, the WWII area vibe always draws my attention and has had me viewing the Khaki line in general. The puzzling part about this watch for me is the "eyes." Can you see anything in that upper left quadrant? Most pictures I have found online display the watch at a slight tilt, causing the "eyes" to completely cover he 10 and 11, but I would think that a straight on view would allow legibility. Any feedback?

Also, any other chronographs within the same general price of $1k?

Much thanks!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Victoribox in that price ringe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ninjack

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Since you seem to like utilitarian design, if you can stretch the budget a bit, you might have a look a Sinn...

·
Premium Member
IWC Porsche Design Titan, IWC Pilot Spitfire, Sinn EZM 10
5,049 Posts
Stick to Hamilton! Great value for the build quality.
Sinn is a step up, and perhaps too "tool"-like in a traditional way for you (but I love it). Swiss movement but all else is German.
My scale of pricing may be off, as I (usually) purchase grey market watches. For this reason, I look to Hamilton for the sub-$1,000 USD examples. However, given the models you mentioned (not so traditional), I think Tissot may be your next best catalogue or website to browse.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for all of the suggestions! I also posted in the Hamilton forum to get some specifics in terms of the models mentioned.

You are correct in that I am not a huge fan of traditional styles, such as the Jazzmaster, when it comes to Hamilton. I do not know why, but I can't get excited over that look, although it would probably be most appropriate with my work attire.

·
Banned
110 Posts
The hamiltons are great looking watches, the only thing I'd mention is that the 7750 movement is thick, so the hammy is 16mm thick. So at 42mm diameter and I think 51-52 L2L, it's going to wear quite large on your wrist.

Best bang for buck is an Eterna pulsometer with the 2894 movement, only 13mm :)

Quite wearable, I like the style but really isn't a tool watch though.

Attachments

·
Registered
534 Posts
How about the Steinhart Racetimer in blue or black dial. German company Swiss made. Just under $1000. US also case and bracelet are titanium. It's 16mm thick thanks to the Valjoux 7750 movement in it. 44mm case size. Love the look of this watch.
Steinhart-Racetimer-Blue-2.jpg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts