WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys, I have to admit I haven't been lurking on the forums as much as I used to. I used to poke around in Rolex and Omega on here and TZ.

However I wanted to proudly announce that I recently purchased a GS-1000J-1AJF the other day from Seiya. I must say it is probably the best looking Casio I have ever seen. I wasn't planning on buying a Casio, because I was one of those guys who used to think that they can't match up to a Seamaster or Rolex. I used to also think that they have no beauty. I thought I was going to end up with a G-Shock as a beater - but I was wrong!!

The G addiction bit me hard... I saw the look of the GIEZ line and I was hooked. I was all over these watches fanatically researching them like I did with my automatics in the past. I am very exited to have a G-shock in my watch family. It looks like it will be worn alot more than I initially expected.

My courier package just cleared customs and I expect to have the delivery tomorrow. I will post my initial comments shortly thereafter.

Thanks to all of you who provide so much insight and information. I know this watch will fit right in with my other automatics. I can't wait to open the package and confuse myself trying to set the home time and sub-dials! :-!

BTW, the wife and I are off to Cancun for a vacation in a couple of weeks. I was researching G-shocks which can take a little bit of water. Can I wear my GIEZ in the ocean and go shallow diving?

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Welcome to G-World SardarJi...nice choice on the Giez. I'm hoping to get one, one of these days, so your comments will be appreciated. It has the same movt as my dad's Casio Exec, and I set that without too much trouble. Once you get used to setting without a crown it's pretty easy. Also, once it's set, you probably won't have to do anything more to it. Very low maintenance watch with a surprisingly accurate movt (2-3 secs/month).

The 200m Giez will be fine for any water sports. I imagine it would be safe for scuba, although not really intended as a diver.

·
Registered
399 Posts
It's atomic, so if you're in an area that syncs, you won't have to set it at all.

I have the all black GS-1000BJ-1AJF, and like it a lot.

I'd download and check out the 4343 manual too.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's atomic, so if you're in an area that syncs, you won't have to set it at all.

I have the all black GS-1000BJ-1AJF, and like it a lot.

I'd download and check out the 4343 manual too.

Thanks for the comments guys. Yea, I too have already downloaded the manual for the 4343 and studied up a bit. It looks likes its going to be a real treat to use.

Anyone else have any comments on the water resistance of this thing? I dont want to have to worry about the glass fogging over just because I went in to a pool or shallow diving with it. Afterall, I bought it just to take with me to Cancun (well that's what I told the wife).

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
Anyone else have any comments on the water resistance of this thing? I dont want to have to worry about the glass fogging over just because I went in to a pool or shallow diving with it. Afterall, I bought it just to take with me to Cancun (well that's what I told the wife).
Not a problem. The manual that comes with the watch will give details that are mysteriously absent from the downloadable version.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
This is a G shock and is good for 200 meters. Will be fine for all swimming, snorkeling and normal diving. Can't imagine you are going down to 100+ meters.

Mitch

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
I don't think you should worry about it SardarJi. It's a 200m G-Shock...it'll be fine. If you're really bothered, just buy a cheap plastic G, and keep the Giez out of harms way. I'd guess the Giez would have even better sealing than the non-Japanese made G's.

You could also take the advice of an experienced jeweler I knew...doesn't matter if it's a dive watch rated to 500m, don't expose it to steam, showers/bathrooms, or hot water. The rapid expanding and contracting that can cause wears the seals out faster than what the water sealing is really meant for...constant, moderate temp water bodies like the ocean or pools etc.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
You could have it pressure tested for peace of mind, though this shouldn't be necessary with a new G-Shock.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guys,
Thanks for your comments. I feel much much better about the 200m rating. I know not to take my watches in to steam or hot tubs etc...

I can't wait for my package today!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey everyone, thought I would give my initial impressions of the watch and the overall order...
Here they are:

1. Whoa - 5 days from Japan to my doorstep. Plus, the package came in such wonderful condition. It would be hard to to tell it was shipped at all through a courier, let alone from half way around the world. The outer carton itself looked brand new as if someone hand-delivered the thing to me.
2. At the intial opening, I was impressed that a G-shock came in a nice presentable box with pillow. Very nice touch on a mid-level sports watch.
3. The watch has a very nice feel/heft to it. It feels so much more expensive than you would imagine it to be. The all metal casing is a great plus.
4. Fantastic fit and finish for the price.
5. A pain to get started with... I have set my home city correctly (LAX) and still cant get the atomic signal to work at all. I have tried it numerous times from various locations, even 25 miles away from each other (work/home). No luck.
6. Its true that the lume is a little on the weak side, but I don't mind. I didn't get it for the lume. If I need something to glow, I can wear my Seamaster for that occasion.
7. Watching the hands dance on the dial is mesmerizing. I find myself poking at buttons just to watch the hands move.
8. Fantastic rubber band on this thing. However it seems a bit on the thin side, so I am not sure of the durability. I almost want to order a spare just in case, but then again both my other daily watches are on bracelets. Maybe I am under-estimating the rubber.
9. This watch looks just as good in person as it did on the website photo shoots. Very good looking.
10. Did I mention that I can't get it to grab the atomic signal?

So far, I am very pleased with it. I will be even happier when the indicator hand will point to Y one of these days when I check the signal grab.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just got my GS-1000BJ-1AJF yesterday as well from seiyajapan :)

Same initial impressions and I was quite pleased that it came in a nice box/pillow instead of the typical plastic case. I'm in the SF bay area and I cannot grab the atomic signal either :( Last night it went from 'ready' to 'work' during a sync, but in the end it couldn't sync up with the atomic clock

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just got my GS-1000BJ-1AJF yesterday as well from seiyajapan :)

Same initial impressions and I was quite pleased that it came in a nice box/pillow instead of the typical plastic case. I'm in the SF bay area and I cannot grab the atomic signal either :( Last night it went from 'ready' to 'work' during a sync, but in the end it couldn't sync up with the atomic clock

Same here - It has gone from Ready to Work a few times during a 5 minute sync period. It seems like it is trying to "work" three times during the profcess, but it eventually fails.

Anybody else with some insight on this? I have tried various corners of the house...

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have heard a guy saying he had trouble where he lived in LA. I don't have a problem with regular sync'ing here in the UK, but I have experimented and found a few things:

1. Location can be critical, you can try two places 20 cm apart and sometimes one will sync, the other won't. So try different places.

2. EM interference from other electronics can kill it. (I think that is a major contributor to point 1.) Try well away from electronics, particularly TV's microwaves, computers, flourescent lights and other high frequency sources.

3. It does work significantly better at night, casio are not making that up. (short wave radio can bounce off the ionosphere, the ionosphere moves upwards at night, so range gets longer.)

Luke

Same here - It has gone from Ready to Work a few times during a 5 minute sync period. It seems like it is trying to "work" three times during the profcess, but it eventually fails.

Anybody else with some insight on this? I have tried various corners of the house...

·
Registered
326 Posts
I also recieved all black version from Seiya today. What a great watch ! Took me two hours to understand the manual but once I did it was smooth sailing. It didn't want to sync at my work but did fine at home. ( I live in TN).This is my second G-shock. I have over 30 auto's and was neglecting G-shock's. Boy, was I wrong....

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Re the syncing...we get the Japan signal all the way in Aus (over 7000km away) so distance isn't the problem. But, weather seems to be a big issue. The watch will regularly sync for 3-4 or so days in a row, but then get nothing for about 5 days. Bottom line is, don't stress about it. You really only need one sync a month to keep the watch very close to perfect time.

My dad's watch uses the same 5 motor movt as the GS-1000, and I found it to be accurate to within 2-3 secs per month, so they appear to be very accurate movts!!!

I have also read a lot of people struggling for reception in LA etc...I'd expect there's a lot more interference in those heavily populated west coast cities than elsewhere in the US. May be you'll get some clearer weather soon to allow it to work. If it can work in Aus, it shows just how sensitive the antennas are in these things...my dad wasn't even trying to get a signal.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Here's a tip for synching: I have a cordless phone (landline) with a base unit that has an antenna. I put my GS-1000 through it so that the back of the watch is touching the antenna. It works every time, whereas if I just put the watch next to the base station, it usually doesn't synch.

I live in the suburbs of Los Angeles and the above method works, but the synch usually always happens in the early morning at around 2-4am. If I tried to manually synch it during the day using the above method, it doesn't happen - I think this is because of all the radio interference.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here's a tip for synching: I have a cordless phone (landline) with a base unit that has an antenna. I put my GS-1000 through it so that the back of the watch is touching the antenna. It works every time, whereas if I just put the watch next to the base station, it usually doesn't synch.
I'm gonna have to try this out. My dad is a ham radio operator, so maybe his 100 ft short wave will catch something.

So far no luck with the cordless phone antenna in my room...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts