WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm looking to buy my first Omega and I've decided to buy a Speedy (just a pre-owned one , still can't afford to buy a brand new one). I'm keen on buying the classic speedy but with an automatic movement. Here are just some questions:

1. Do I have to buy the professional series for the speedy to be considered as an authentic moon watch?

2. Why are some speedy's water resistance rating only 30m and some have 100m? I own a an entry level Tag Heuer that I bought in 1990 and its water resistance is 200m. Alyhough I'm not a diver, I don't take off my watch when I swim in the pool or beach. Is the Speedmaster safe for these activities?

3. Any particular model that I should look for or keep away from?

4. I've been reading the term local AD in several threads, what does this exactly mean?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Hi! I'm looking to buy my first Omega and I've decided to buy a Speedy (just a pre-owned one , still can't afford to buy a brand new one). I'm keen on buying the classic speedy but with an automatic movement. Here are just some questions:

1. Do I have to buy the professional series for the speedy to be considered as an authentic moon watch?

2. Why are some speedy's water resistance rating only 30m and some have 100m? I own a an entry level Tag Heuer that I bought in 1990 and its water resistance is 200m. Alyhough I'm not a diver, I don't take off my watch when I swim in the pool or beach. Is the Speedmaster safe for these activities?

3. Any particular model that I should look for or keep away from?

4. I've been reading the term local AD in several threads, what does this exactly mean?

Thanks!
Great choice for a first watch, you won't be sorry.

As for your questions:
1. Most people only think the handwinder is the moonwatch. The automatic is also a great looking watch but not a moonwatch IMHO.

2. Hey, there is no water in space, so why bother. It all depends which model you'll buy.

3. No, but do your research thoroughly for all the differences between the models. Hesalite vs Saphire is always a debate for instance.

4. AD = Authorized Dealer. If you're going to buy second hand I wouldn't worry about that.

Check the site of the legend Chuck Maddox (http://www.chronomaddox.com/#Moonwatch) to get all the info you'll need on Speedmasters.

Paul

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Also, use the search function here. You'll find a wealth of information, and answers to just about any question you might have, especially as they relate to Speedmasters. Take your time learning, as there are many different Speedmaster variants. The good news is that they are all great watches. The bad news (for your wallet anyway) is that you'll probably want more than one! :-d

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
The only true authentic moon watches are those handful that have actually been to the moon. And some people would argue that there is no such thing. The rest are the same model watches that were worn by the NASA astronauts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts