WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got my first leather strap, a "carbon fiber"strap and after wearing it for a day,I changed the hole I wear it on, and it's already creased/wrinkled where I had it before, was just wondering if this was normal?

·
Registered
11,367 Posts
Yep. Completely normal. The buckle will often leave an indentation in the strap even after wearing it for only a short while.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Yeah, it does, a deployment clasp is the way to go. It also allows you to fit the clasp between holes which can give the strap a better fit, as sometimes the strap can be either too tight or too loose depending on the hole used. A deployment clasp will also extend the life of your strap due to you not having to bend it back each time you put on or take off the watch.

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
Depends on the strap quality as well..thicker,well padded strap will crease less than the thin ones just as an example..

I've been wearing heroic18s carbon fiber strap for a week,and so far there is only slight mark on the hole,but no crease on the surface,which is amazing considering it was very stiff in the beginning.....

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
When you take your watch off at the end of the day, you can soak the strap in olive oil overnight to alleviate this issue. A little oil on the metal for the case helps protect it too.

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
When you take your watch off at the end of the day, you can soak the strap in olive oil overnight to alleviate this issue. A little oil on the metal for the case helps protect it too.
I've never heard of this solution. I'd be concerned that this method would leave the strap oily the next day. And the olive oil could soak into your shirt cuff if the strap gets over saturated from soaking overnight.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've never heard of this solution. I'd be concerned that this method would leave the strap oily the next day. And the olive oil could soak into your shirt cuff if the strap gets over saturated from soaking overnight.
You could add some tomatoes, fresh basil and mozzarella for more of a Caprese solution...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

·
Registered
759 Posts
Yeah, it does, a deployment clasp is the way to go. It also allows you to fit the clasp between holes which can give the strap a better fit, as sometimes the strap can be either too tight or too loose depending on the hole used. A deployment clasp will also extend the life of your strap due to you not having to bend it back each time you put on or take off the watch.
That depends on the type of deployant buckle, I believe. All of the buckles I have go into one of the holes in the strap. In this case, the only wear on the strap is that the hole you choose can get a bit elongated, which would be the case regardless. I believe you are referring to the "Breitling style" deployant which allows infinite adjustibility. The disadvantage to this style is that it seems to cause a fairly dramatic bend in the strap which will wear on the strap over time.

As an example of the more "typical" type of deployants I have, here is a pic:
20140109_112218.jpg

As you can see, there is no bend in the strap at all. As a result, this is the best option to limit the wear on the strap. OP, be aware that other types of deployants (I have at least a couple) cause the strap to bend and thus cause extra wear on the strap.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think a Breitling clasp is going to be more than I want to spend. It was a cheap spiedel strap, wanted to see if I liked the c.f. look. It's supposed to be a 22mm and I put it on a watch with a 21mm lug width, and so of course it will be slightly squished, well for some reason it seems the two pieces are slightly different sizes as the six o clock side is squished but twelve is not. Common or just because it's a cheap strap? I'd still expect it to be the same on both sides

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Sometimes I wish I liked wearing leather straps. There are so many really nice straps out there.

Sent from my SGH-I757M using Tapatalk 2

1 - 18 of 18 Posts