WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, I've been looking for my first russian watch for a while and I found this Komandirskie, but I'm kinda suspicious because it's pretty cheap, like 50% off. It appears to be a legit design, inspired by the Soviet Military Space Forces, found it on Meranom's website too, model 811958 (Vostok Watch Komandirskie 811958).

I'm mostly worried about its bezel since its flat and not angled like the one on Meranom's and your typical Komandirskie 81s, it looks pretty shiny too. Its caseback looks a bit worn by sweat, although the seller says it keeps time correctly. What do you guys think? Should I buy it? I've always liked Komandirskies, and its dial looks pretty cool. Owner has its original cardboard box and manual too.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Hey there, I've been looking for my first russian watch for a while and I found this Komandirskie, but I'm kinda suspicious because it's pretty cheap, like 50% off. It appears to be a legit design, inspired by the Soviet Military Space Forces, found it on Meranom's website too, model 811958 (Vostok Watch Komandirskie 811958).

I'm mostly worried about its bezel since its flat and not angled like the one on Meranom's and your typical Komandirskie 81s, it looks pretty shiny too. Its caseback looks a bit worn by sweat, although the seller says it keeps time correctly. What do you guys think? Should I buy it? I've always liked Komandirskies, and its dial looks pretty cool. Owner has its original cardboard box and manual too.
How cheap are we talking about here? Cause on meranom.com and komandirskie.com they are extremely cheap new?! Also, the watch is legit, there's no money in faking those, would cost more than the watch itself.

·
Registered
969 Posts
The watch you're interested in is a 431958, same dial but different case than the 811958, such Komandirskies can be bought new for around £30...

EDIT: And it looks as though the seller is showing photos of 2 different watches, the front is of of a 431958 but the back of the watch the seller is showing is of a type 81 case...

·
Registered
1,855 Posts

Wait to get your first Russian watch because waiting is part of it. You won’t realise yet :) :ROFLMAO: (y) But I think you will be suprised at the affordability of the entry point. Like everything else it’s a sliding scale.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How cheap are we talking about here? Cause on meranom.com and komandirskie.com they are extremely cheap new?! Also, the watch is legit, there's no money in faking those, would cost more than the watch itself.
He's selling it like 50% cheaper compared to other people. Maybe he wants to improve his reputation since he's pretty new and only made a couple sales, or just needs the money... These are some tough times after all. I used to think nobody'd fake these watches too, but reading those posts here about those great chinese Komandirskie counterfeits convinced me to start a thread.

The watch you're interested in is a 431958, same dial but different case than the 811958, such Komandirskies can be bought new for around £30...
Thanks for the info, I didn't know there was a model with a different case. I'd buy a brand new one from Meranom or one of the sellers here but they don't go through my country's customs without a hefty fee and some paperwork, so most pre-owned Vostoks usually cost $100-$130. A brand new one costs $130-170, and there's only one official Vostok retailer.

Wait to get your first Russian watch because waiting is part of it. You won’t realise yet :) :ROFLMAO: (y) But I think you will be suprised at the affordability of the entry point. Like everything else it’s a sliding scale.
Hahaha my first russian watch'll definitely be a keeper, as I said they aren't cheap here.

·
Registered
969 Posts
If the type of case on your watch is important to you here are images of the backs of the watches, as said above in my edit the seller is showing you photos of two different watches...

Type 43 case,

Type 81 case,

But I'm shocked at the price you're being charged for one of these...

·
Registered
227 Posts
It is cheap because the watch is used. The back of the case is worn out. Almost all the plating is gone. I would get the new one. They are dirt cheap

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
A brand new version of this will see you at least ten years, last time I looked on Komandirskie.com the classic Koms' were going for a very good price, I have bought three brand new Amphibia's from Komandirskie.com for little each over the standard price of a Komandirskie classic on other sites and even some of their 28's etc were priced almost as good as the Amphibia's.

Komdotcom is down it seems at mo but do take a look, the prices are good but can't see them lasting that low forever, the other thing is postage, UPS is expensive but Russia Post is free and I am getting about 16 days wait from purchase to delivery from there so just over two weeks ain't too bad and I live in rural Dorset so not exactly close to amenities...

·
Registered
834 Posts
I recommend a new one, there are some "classics" that everyone has to have in the collection. Tank watch, Sub watch, Paratrooper and so on.
If you are just starting out you do not need the additional hassle of buying old worn out watches that you do not know how to fix yet and do not have the tools for. Buy some nice ones and enjoy wearing them while you build your collection and then start modding them if you wish.
Best of luck comrade CPR101 (y)

Attachments

Reactions: CPR101

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If the type of case on your watch is important to you here are images of the backs of the watches, as said above in my edit the seller is showing you photos of two different watches...
This was very helpful, thanks, I spoke to him yesterday about the caseback's corrosion and he answered today, saying that he took a single picture of a caseback for his whole collection, but that this Space Komandirskie was in a much better condition. He sent me a pic and it does look much better indeed, here it is:

I agree with you, it's pretty shocking to see many people online wanting $70-$100 bucks for a ''restored'' battered Franken Komandirskie when you guys manage to get them directly from Chistopol for $30-$50.

It is cheap because the watch is used. The back of the case is worn out. Almost all the plating is gone. I would get the new one. They are dirt cheap
Komdotcom is down it seems at mo but do take a look, the prices are good but can't see them lasting that low forever, the other thing is postage, UPS is expensive but Russia Post is free and I am getting about 16 days wait from purchase to delivery from there so just over two weeks ain't too bad and I live in rural Dorset so not exactly close to amenities...
Thanks for being so helpful, I'd love to buy a brand new one for $30-$60, but I'd have to do some hefty paperwork for customs, and prolly pay an extra $20-30 on top without any guarantee the thing'll reach me at all, since there's many horror stories here of international deliveries disappearing, or taking months or even a year to get through customs. The only other way to get a brand new one delivered to Argentina at a decent price I see is buying one from Amazon EU, since many people say they usually get through customs in a couple months and sometimes even without the tax, provided they costed less than $50. I'd have to do that paperwork for customs tho, and I'd rather avoid risking it till this whole quarantine/COVID situation is over, since our Postal Service seems to be working even slower than usual.

THESE PEOPLE ARE LIVING UNDER A TIRANNY!!!
Hahahaha such are things in Argentina, my german friend.

All things said, I'm inclined to buy this one (Against better judgement, hahaha). Always liked Vostok and it seems like a Komandirskie 81 with this same dial has been in space (Inside Mir or ISS), which is pretty cool: Space Vostok Komandirskie Worst case scenario, I could buy it for the $76 it costs and keep it as space memorabilia until I have the time and courage to risk ordering a brand new one abroad in 6 months or so.

·
Registered
969 Posts
This was very helpful, thanks, I spoke to him yesterday about the caseback's corrosion and he answered today, saying that he took a single picture of a caseback for his whole collection, but that this Space Komandirskie was in a much better condition. He sent me a pic and it does look much better indeed, here it is:

I agree with you, it's pretty shocking to see many people online wanting $70-$100 bucks for a ''restored'' battered Franken Komandirskie when you guys manage to get them directly from Chistopol for $30-$50.
Case type confusion cleared up (y) so you're buying a 431958, the passport will give the exact date of manufacture...

Still sucks about all the customs charges you have to pay though...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Case type confusion cleared up (y) so you're buying a 431958, the passport will give the exact date of manufacture...

Still sucks about all the customs charges you have to pay though...
Yeah, that case info was really useful. Owner has its original cardboard box and papers, told me that he bought it brand new in 2015 but that the passport's dated 2011. So it still has a bit more than a year before the recommended servicing, hahaha. He said he barely used it tho, since he used to just collect Komandirskies, occasionally winding them and using them for a day or so.

Yeah, it'd be nice if we could ''cut out the middlemen '' retailers here and get these watches new at a cheap price haha... I've seen brand new classic Amphibias for $140 at the cheapest, and $175 tops!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Yeah, that case info was really useful. Owner has its original cardboard box and papers, told me that he bought it brand new in 2015 but that the passport's dated 2011. So it still has a bit more than a year before the recommended servicing, hahaha. He said he barely used it tho, since he used to just collect Komandirskies, occasionally winding them and using them for a day or so.

Yeah, it'd be nice if we could ''cut out the middlemen '' retailers here and get these watches new at a cheap price haha... I've seen brand new classic Amphibias for $140 at the cheapest, and $175 tops!
60 bucks - NEW Vostok Watch Amphibian Classic 090510M
komandirskie.com usually a little cheaper

·
Registered
834 Posts
The one your getting looks like a nice enough specimen. Congrats.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The one your getting looks like a nice enough specimen. Congrats.
Yeah, it seems to be in good condition for something that was made in 2011. I really dig the fact that one of these was in space too. I decided to pull the trigger on this guy tonight, considering $76 is prolly the cheapest I'll be able to get here, without having to go through customs and some paperwork. Hope it's still somewhere between 15 to 60 s/d. I guess I'll just keep it as space memorabilia if its a lemon, at least for the next six months or so, when this whole COVID shebang ends or I've the time and courage to risk ordering one from abroad and getting it trough customs.

You'll prolly be seeing it next week, once it's reached me.

·
Registered
834 Posts
The nice thing about these watches is if you really like it you can just put a new movement in it very easily,
or most any other part for that matter. I am waiting to see if you get bitten by the Russian watch bug!
best of luck, James.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The nice thing about these watches is if you really like it you can just put a new movement in it very easily,
or most any other part for that matter. I am waiting to see if you get bitten by the Russian watch bug!
best of luck, James.
Yeah, I know there's a big modding community for Vostoks. There's some people online here selling Bezels for $10 which is an okay price, I might get one next month in case I need to replace its wire or something. I've considered buying a new movement since I don't think that'll get taxed by customs since its just parts, but I'll have to wait till the quarantine is over before ordering something from Meranom and getting it delivered to me. Been reading about Poljot/First Moscow Watch Factory and Vostok's history yesterday, it was quite interesting. Also downloaded The Birth of Soviet Watchmaking and watched videos to learn more about their quirks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just got it today, some hours ago, quite earlier than expected. Already set the time and winded it a couple times, seconds hand seems to be working fine so far, I only had to wind once for it to start working. It arrived well protected from bumps or scratches on its acrylic glass, watch looks brand new apart from a speck of rust on its left lug. The bezel is hard to rotate, which is something to be expected from a nine year old watch with barely any use, I guess. I might try to take it out and clean it, or replace its wire, if there aren't any more important issues with the watch.

I'll post some pics and more info on how it's working on Monday, after I've tested it for a couple days.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts