WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First Watch Below €4,500 (preferable skeleton)

Dear fellow watch enthusiasts,

I'm looking to buy my first new luxury Swiss watch this summer. My budget is around €4,500.

After searching for some time of watches around that budget and visiting an AD, I found the Tag Heuer Carrera calibre 16 day date which I rather liked (CARRERA Calibre 16 Day DateAutomatic Chronograph43 mm Brown Leather bracelet | TAG Heuer).

However, I often notice myself to be more drawn to 'skeleton watches', or 'complicated watches'. Unfortunately, all of these seem to be FAR FAR FAR out of my budget
(Just to give you an example of what I like IWC skeleton Portuguese minute repeater; Breguet Tourbillon Perpetual Calendar, I of course understand that a Breguet is far out of this budget, it just serves as an illustration).

Therefore, I was wondering if you know of any nice Swiss made skeleton or more complicated watches around €4,500 or if this is simply not possible.

Currently I'm 23 years old, and I'm looking to buy a NEW watch at an AD that I can wear in during work (business) as well as in an informal setting for €4,500.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Re: First Watch Below €4,500 (preferable skeleton)

I think this one is a blend of what you are looking for. Zenith Chronomaster T Open Chronograph. Jomashop sell it around your budget right now.

jomashop_2267_2028965940.jpg

It even comes in brown.

jomashop_2267_2030466054.jpg

·
Registered
23,771 Posts

·
Premium Member
68,346 Posts

Take a look at the Oris Artelier Skeleton for about €1,720.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts

My Maurice Lacroix arrived a few short days ago and falls inside your budget

I did a little review of it here:-

https://www.watchuseek.com/f2/skellington-closet-883892.html

I think it is nicely understated for a skeleton with the dark rhodium plated finish and the sapphire crystal has markings so you CAN tell the time on it

They also do a nice moonphase and some attractive retrogrades as well as a couple of unusual complications like a square seconds gear

Baume & Mercier have a nice moonphase in their new Clifton range

Smaller manufacturer Tourby will embellish and skeletonise a more basic movement to the point of it being a little work of art and would be a different choice within that budget.

Just a couple of extra suggestions

·
Registered
3,519 Posts

I would highly recommend avoiding a skeleton. They just don't look good, except a few from the likes of Breguet and AP. In that price range I'd consider Omega, Zenith, Rolex, JLC, Glashutte Original, Grand Seiko, but not Tag.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

Thanks for the input everyone thus far.

I just wanted to mention that I'm 23 years old and that the watch I want to buy has to be new (not pre-owned, from an authorised dealer) and that I want to buy a watch that I can wear with a suit (business setting).

Furthermore, I don't want to offend anyone, but overall I don't like omega, rolex nor seiko that much. Isn't a glashutte original or a JLC way out of my price range (I want to buy a watch from an AD at a physical store)?

Furthermore, what is the quality of Tourby & Maurice Lacroix?

·
Registered
40,520 Posts

I take it, you haven't seen many.
I would highly recommend avoiding a skeleton. They just don't look good, except a few from the likes of Breguet and AP. In that price range I'd consider Omega, Zenith, Rolex, JLC, Glashutte Original, Grand Seiko, but not Tag.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I take it, you haven't seen many.
That is true, I haven't seen many skeleton watches in real life yet. If I understand you correctly, you say that only the high-end one's are really nice, and that others are not.

Just out of curiosity, which watch would you personally buy if you were 23, had a budget of 4-€4,500 and wanted to use it in a professional business setting (as well as outside of this)

·
Registered
40,520 Posts

I didn't say that, Omega did.
That is true, I haven't seen many skeleton watches in real life yet. If I understand you correctly, you say that only the high-end one's are really nice, and that others are not.

Just out of curiosity, which watch would you personally buy if you were 23, had a budget of 4-€4,500 and wanted to use it in a professional business setting (as well as outside of this)

·
Registered
4,292 Posts

Everyone has a different opinion which is why we are all not wearing Speedmasters (which I like BTW...no hate mail please). IMO, cheap Chinese skeletons are less than desirable, but some better ones, in MY opinion, are beautiful.

OP, if you like skeletons, check out Tourby.

Here's my custom skeleton;

Tourby3.jpg Tourby4.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
605 Posts

I am 23 so check my sig for watches i like. Personally i wouldnt bother with new from AD. Im perfectly content with used watches with full papers as i am getting more for my money. If i was to go new it would be through an online AD.

Here are a few id consider.

PO 8500
AT 8500
Rolex sub no date
Rolex DJ
Any JLC
Any GO
Any zenith EP
Speedy pro

·
Registered
3,519 Posts

·
Registered
3,519 Posts

Hmmm.... I'm a fan of the PO8500, but I wouldn't wear that on a daily basis in an office. Maybe a Glashutte Senator Hand Date or any of the Jaeger Lecoultre Reverso's. If you want to go for something really versatile, an Omega AT8500, Rolex Explorer, Rolex Datejust, or if you are willing to go used or grey market a Breguet Type XX. The list goes on and on as you are in a rather high price range. I'm also personally a big fan of GP, so you could check out their line.

Reactions: First_Watch

·
Registered
3,519 Posts

Have checked out Nivrel?
They're far better than most, but its just a look I don't love.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts