• NO

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi WUSers,

I thought I'd share some ideas to get opinions, of which I am sure there will be many, before I start an official thread for the first watch design of the brand.

This is for a dive watch with a modern-vintage feel. THE BRAND IS TRIESTE. The model name L'ODYSSE has a story behind it but at this point I won't say too much about it, other than the case lug-to-lug is around the 48mm mark with a bezel of 42.5mm
I am thinking of using the Sellita SW200 movement which is equal to the ETA 2824-2

Please share your thoughts and remember that the image is from the very preliminary design stages.
CAD work is being done at this stage.

Thank you,

Brett

Attachments

·
Registered
566 Posts
I'm on the fence about the hands. It's like all the hands are from different sets.

P.S. Blancpain, Seiko, Zodiac. Did I miss some references? Bulova oceanographer, perhaps?
Also, the 15 mark on the bezel looks off.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I like the design quite a bit! Honestly, I do. However, I do a bit of design for work sometimes, so can sound too critical in text sometimes. So, if this seems harsh, just go back to my first sentence, ok?

Some points for consideration:

1. I think the blue minute marks and hand accent color ought to match or contrast sharply, but they should not be a close relative of one another as these two colors are.
2. The 15 on the bezel needs to be rotated.
3. The diamond on the bezel of your first design is a better design, it echoes the dial in a good way. Repetition of a design element from one component of the watch to another can create an overall cohesiveness which can make a design very pleasing to look at. At the same time, overdoing this can be annoying. More than that, using a circle for this element says "Submariner Homage" WAY TOO LOUDLY for me. Not using a circle here will make your design stand out as original.
4. I would consider slightly enlarging the triangle 5 minute makers and slightly shrinking the 15 minute markers. Just a bit. It may look better, it may not, but is worth a look.
5. Consider colouring your zero index (either diamond or circle) with your accent blue color (if you make them all the same blue as I mentioned above).

Design is personal taste. I think these suggestions MIGHT make me like the design more, but I can guarantee that it will make some other people like it less. So feel free to ignore it. But, if you were my student, this is what I would tell you.

·
Registered
566 Posts
3. The diamond on the bezel of your first design is a better design, it echoes the dial in a good way. Repetition of a design element from one component of the watch to another can create an overall cohesiveness which can make a design very pleasing to look at. At the same time, overdoing this can be annoying. More than that, using a circle for this element says "Submariner Homage" WAY TOO LOUDLY for me. Not using a circle here will make your design stand out as original.
Diamond on a bezel says "Blancpain FF Homage" just as loud, IMHO, so no points for being original anyway. But it does fit the overall triangular theme better, I agree

a side note: why did you choose not to write "automatic" on a dial? it seems to be a very common practice to do so, even a "tradition" of sorts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to you both for your input. I agree with diamond on the bezel, it fits with the geometry, and I am playing with resizing the triangles.
I tried the diamond in the minute marker blue but it looked...a bit cheap but I have another plan! Will try update later tonight.
With regards to "automatic" I was just seeing what it looked like without. didn't want to make the dial too cluttered but will include and would love feedback.

Thanks very much!! The feedback is really important.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
left - revised (diamond with blue outline, blue hour hand, smaller 15 minute marker triangles and larger triangle markers for 5,10,20,25 etc, automatic type included)
right - before

Any comments on the brand name?

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@dspt you're correct about the FF homage part. I was inspired partly by that watch because the bezel is clean, simple and classic I but decided to omit the 1-14 minute markers. The one theme of the watch is definitely an early 60's feel, that period of discovery of the underwater world and the exploration and innovation that came with it. It was a very progressive period for scientific discovery with a strong desire and will to explore.

The other theme that came into play is to do with the model name "L'Odyssee". A new French film of the same name is coming out later this year based on the relationship between Jacques Cousteau and his son Philippe Cousteau. Philippe was one of the first explorers to foresee the environmental impact that the exploration of the time had and would have on the sea. I played one of the crew, Raymond Coll, on board Cousteau's oceanographic research vessel, Calypso, in the film. It was an incredible experience and was the start of my dive watch "obsession" which has led me to a desire to create a model that signifies all those aspects.

For the trailer please click on the link

·
Registered
100 Posts
I think Trieste is a fantastic name, and anyone with an oceanographic love will connect with it immediately, I think. In my mind, it seems your design is greatly improved with your revisions, I hope you agree too. On keeping "automatic" and other text on the dial. My opinion is that it is almost always a negative from a design standpoint. Perhaps not from a branding or marketing standpoint, but from a design standpoint, it almost always distracts rather than adds to a design.

I would suggest you insert a logo there and put the tech specs on the back cover, side of the case, etc. Anywhere but on the dial.

It might be tradition, but that does not mean its a good one.

BTW, I like the design and motivation for your making of the watch. I might be one of your buyers.

I am one of those kids who grew up watching Cousteau on TV. I remember telling my Mom and Dad that someday I would be on that ship as one of the crew. I wish I had pursued it!

I guess it runs in the family. My brother ended up being a marine biologist.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the input!!!

I like what Helberg did with their CH6 dial...logo on top, Helberg on bottom and data on the back case.

The experience was incredible. The producer procured the exact same model of ship, of which there are 3 left, and the first day out of Cape Town harbour we spotted 50-100 Humpback whales breaching and feeding. Every day there were dolphins, seals, whales. Working with exceptional actors with well written scenes was phenomenal. I loved it and am proud to have been part of it.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts