WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed today that Costco.ca had started to sort out some rather nice watches - Tissot, IWC, amongst others.

Now, I've been "naked-wristed" for the last 10 years or so. Sort of a subconscious protest against being on time.

Needless to say, I've changed my mind and am actively shopping for watches in the <1k range. Not many of the preowned watch sellers seem to be located in Canada, so I've been looking at some new watches as well.

So far, considering the following:
Quadrato (my local store actually has the white faced once, very nice):
http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10306931

PRC200 (am I to understand there is an automatic version?. Needless to say, from watching the forum, you guys seem to love these):
http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10321476

PRS516 (I saw pictures of an auto on the forum as well, but the quartz is what is available on this site):
http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10325528

Are these prices reasonably good?

Also, do I lose anything significant going from an automatic to quartz? Less accurate?

thanks - as I mentioned, been completely out of the loop on watches for a few years.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Quartz is more accurate than automatic, isn't it? But accuracy is hardly the point... if you want accuracy, you can't really beat a Timex or Casio. :-d

I've got the PRC 200 auto. I love it, even though it stops occasionally on account of my barely ever moving.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Quartz will definately be more accurate, but the beauty of the auto has having that little micro machine doing it thing on your wrist and watching that second hand sweep smoothly round :-!

The only downsides of an auto is it'll be slightly less accurate, and you'll have to get it serviced every 5 years or so.....but you should be able to find a local watchmaker who can do this for a reasonable amount :)

Good luck with the choice........and post some pics when you've got your watch :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
See, you're teaching me already ;-).

So I guess the benefit of auto over quartz is just value due to mechanical movement ... and ... never having to take it to get the battery changed?
Yeah, and the "Cool" factor of having an automatic Swiss movement on your wrist. :-!

Granted, there's nothing wrong with quartz. I'm probably going to get another Tissot, and it will most likely have a quartz movement.

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
I have the following opinion: you have to have a quartz to have an accurate machine to tell time, and you have to have an auto because, well, because it's cool to have an auto b-).

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have the following opinion: you have to have a quartz to have an accurate machine to tell time, and you have to have an auto because, well, because it's cool to have an auto b-).
I agree, then of course buy alot of each, both quartz and auto and never have to wear the same watch twice in a 2-3 month period!!!!
That's what I have done, and have NOT regretted it once!! HaHa
KA-CHOW!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts