WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! First post! (A little overwhelmed by the specificity of all the sub-forums, so forgive me if this is in the wrong place).

So, I was watching Interstellar and I thought "that's a cool watch!", so I've been itching to get one ever since. I've looked at a bunch, and don'e a bunch of internet research (what a rabbit hole that is!). Anyway, I think I've decided on the "Coop" watch. It's going to be my first watch. I don't really dress "formally" (or even business casual; I'm a scientist) all that often, but I'd like something that goes well with a night on the town as well as, say, a job interview. My price range is probably under $2000, and honestly, what I care most about is if I like the styling of the watch (I live by/am in the ocean a ton, and I think in theory I'd appreciate the functionality of a dive watch more so than a pilot watch, but I can't imagine either matters much)

Some questions [that I doubt anyone can answer but me, but i'll feel bad if I don't ask]:

1). Where should I buy the watch? My options seem to be: a). Jomashop ($580 out the door), b). Bloomingdales ($750 total, able to return), c). my local AD, for $740 total, exchange only or d). something else you suggest!

One issue: I haven't actually tried on the watch. I managed to find a local AD that has the white-face version, and I've tried on other black-face versions, but I haven't actually worn this exact watch, which is why no-hassle returns are an issue. I'm 95% sure I'll love it, but you never know, y'know? I'm leaning toward bloomingdales, since they have a 25% Friends and Family coupon going now that works on the watch -- and I can return it if I don't like it -- but i'm open to ideas! Someone mentioned a forum sponsor that people have been happy with (Toppers)? One bummer is that I'm in California, so if I purchased there I'd have to pay sales tax.

2). It's probably worth the extra $180 to avoid grey market, right? The only reason I would think perhaps it wouldn't be is if I get "addicted" to watches and decide to get something much fancier in the near term, and relegate this watch to backup duty, or something of the sort. In that case, it might be nice to save the extra money for something else. But who knows (the only other watches that are of intrinsic interest to me are Omegas, since that's what my dad wore). I'm sure there's lots of grey vs authorized discussion here, but I'm just curious if there's anything about this specific situation that anyone feels is relevant.

3). Is there anything that sort of looks like this -- clean, uncluttered, a little bold but not too ostentatious -- that I may have missed? If it matters, I'm 6'4" and have tried on watches, and 41 is about as small as I'd want to go, I think.

4). Any reason *not* to buy the Hamilton? It's a bit of a bummer that people consider Hamilton to be either the world's best fashion watch brand or the world's worst luxury watch brand, depending on their level of snobbery, but hey, I like it! (I guess my point is, it's too bad that I might uy a watch that's a grand MSRP and not get much "watch guy" cred, but oh well).

Thanks for all your help [in advance!] and I'm looking forward to joining your crazy club!

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I've purchased from both Jomashop and World of Watches with no problems whatsoever. Personally, the savings grey market can provide is worth it to me to dodge an AD but your opinion may differ.

Ive had a Hamilton piece before and it was a quality watch for sure. I'm sure other members may have some input but its a great looking watch and i think you'll enjoy it despite not having tried it on.

Either way, welcome to the forum and good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
purchase from Joma but wait for one of their many doorbuster sales where Hamilton is featured. if it matters, the style you're looking at is a b-face pilot..though that particular hamilton is a bit busy with the day-date. Regardless, though, Hamilton is a good brand and you can trust that you're getting quality.

my only advice would be to hang around here for a few days, browse the WRUW threads, and then make a decision.
Seiko has a really inexpensive Seiko 5 SNK809K2 of similar style and day date for under $70.

Anyway, welcome!

Reactions: playinwittime

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Ive handled one of these in the past. Great watches for the money. If the difference in price is so little, i would go with AD. If theres any issues fixing it will cost as much as you save essentially.
But as for the watch itself, i would rather get the watch mathew mcconahey gave to his daughter. Just so much more attractive and in my opinion better looking. I do think the locations of the day and date windows are a bit strange.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
Welcome to the forums! My rule of thumb is that if the savings meet or exceed the cost of a full service, it makes sense to go grey market...

·
Premium Member
8,940 Posts
1. Amazon. At least worth checking. They have the bracelet version for $620, they have a no questions asked return policy, and they do have a 2 year warranty through their own agents. That should be fine for something like this. I think it's a stainless bracelet, yes? For me it would probably be heavy, so I'd go strap.

3. Guaranteed, you have missed them. :) It's rabbit hole leading straight into the Zork caverns. :)

4. I thought that Hamilton was a pretty low-end choice, but you'll find plenty of recommendations for these, or Jazzmasters. I'm chasing down the same rabbit hole, considering a mechanical in about the same price range...but leaning somewhat to this:

http://www.amazon.com/Tissot-T0864081605100-Luxury-Display-Automatic/dp/B00C66Y8OK/ref=sr_1_6?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1443503495&sr=1-6&nodeID=6358539011&keywords=luxury+automatic&refinements=p_89%3ATissot
But that is more conventionally formal than the Hamilton, to be sure. That's something that makes this a maddening, but very entertaining, hobby...the aesthetics are so rich and varied, both in large scale and in subtle ways.

Mmm...one point about that Hamilton. It'll wear reasonably well with a coat and tie; it'll dress down just fine too. The Tissot would look a bit odd with jeans and a polo shirt. :) So I think that style would be fine. I was the computer analysis guy; I got away with dressing less formally even when we presented to some *very* high-level management types. Us brainy types are allowed to get away with it. :)

·
Premium Member
8,940 Posts
Welcome to the forums! My rule of thumb is that if the savings meet or exceed the cost of a full service, it makes sense to go grey market...
That is an excellent rule of thumb! How do you determine that cost, tho? Call up the maker, or more likely the local distributor?

·
Registered
750 Posts
About question 3. -any other watches like this, I think there are plenty, just search for pilot watches, Laco for example makes many versions of this type of dial in the price range of the Hamilton:

·
Registered
105 Posts
3). Is there anything that sort of looks like this -- clean, uncluttered, a little bold but not too ostentatious -- that I may have missed? If it matters, I'm 6'4" and have tried on watches, and 41 is about as small as I'd want to go, I think.
Note that the watch in question wears a little on the large side. It's 42 mm with a thin bezel.

·
Premium Member
8,695 Posts
I bought one of these a few years ago in 46mm on the GM and I have never had a problem with it. I think I paid ~800$ for it.

H64715135_7.jpg

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
The Hamilton is a great watch for the money. Amazon seems to have the best price. If your budget is $2k, I suggest checking out the Alpina pilot or the Apliner ranges and Oris bigcrown propilot GMT.
PRO-PILOT-GMT-WRIST-660x330.jpg

·
Premium Member
61,645 Posts
purchase from Joma but wait for one of their many doorbuster sales where Hamilton is featured. if it matters, the style you're looking at is a b-face pilot..though that particular hamilton is a bit busy with the day-date. Regardless, though, Hamilton is a good brand and you can trust that you're getting quality.

my only advice would be to hang around here for a few days, browse the WRUW threads, and then make a decision.
Seiko has a really inexpensive Seiko 5 SNK809K2 of similar style and day date for under $70.

Anyway, welcome!
+1

·
Registered
544 Posts
Did you negotiate with the AD? He should be able to get you a price much closer to grey market than Bloomingdales. If he's unwilling, call Topper and see what they can do.

Even if you aren't a negotiator, it's easier. You say -- I think I am going to get this watch, but I'm not sure about the price. I see I can get it for less online. Do you have any room to come down a bit? I'd like to purchase from an AD if possible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay, first off, let me say thank you SO MUCH to everyone who replied. This forum has been a GREAT resource, and everyone has provided pretty awesome info. I'm excited to become a "watch guy" (not that I need another expensive hobby....)

Just to update everyone: I bought the watch from Amazon for $620 (no tax, weirdly). Thanks so much, sea0bass! I definitely want the watch now that I've seen it up close. A few issues though:

1). It's about $40 cheaper, as of now, from Joma. Does anyone know how often their "door busters" rotate to Hamiltons? This particular model was out of stock -- leading me to thinking of just keeping the Amazon one -- but it's back now. If I can save a significant amount of money, it's worth returning, otherwise, probably not.

2). Best I can tell, the day switches at around 11:56. Is that something I can configure/fix, or is my watch "broken"? I checked the manual, and other than some weird text about certain watches not "letting" you set the date at certain times (wha?) there wasn't anything about this. Someone in another thread on this forum posted how one of the "cool features" of this watch was that the date switched at exactly midnight, so I certainly noticed it.

Anyway, welcome!
Thanks so much for the suggestion!

1. Amazon. At least worth checking. They have the bracelet version for $620, they have a no questions asked return policy, and they do have a 2 year warranty through their own agents. That should be fine for something like this. I think it's a stainless bracelet, yes? For me it would probably be heavy, so I'd go strap.

3. Guaranteed, you have missed them. :) It's rabbit hole leading straight into the Zork caverns. :)

4. I thought that Hamilton was a pretty low-end choice, but you'll find plenty of recommendations for these, or Jazzmasters. I'm chasing down the same rabbit hole, considering a mechanical in about the same price range...but leaning somewhat to this:

But that is more conventionally formal than the Hamilton, to be sure. That's something that makes this a maddening, but very entertaining, hobby...the aesthetics are so rich and varied, both in large scale and in subtle ways.

Mmm...one point about that Hamilton. It'll wear reasonably well with a coat and tie; it'll dress down just fine too. The Tissot would look a bit odd with jeans and a polo shirt. :) So I think that style would be fine. I was the computer analysis guy; I got away with dressing less formally even when we presented to some *very* high-level management types. Us brainy types are allowed to get away with it. :)
Thanks so much for the Amazon tip! I really appreciate it. It was the simplest way of actually getting the watch to try on.

About question 3. -any other watches like this, I think there are plenty, just search for pilot watches, Laco for example makes many versions of this type of dial in the price range of the Hamilton:
This is a LOVELY piece, although I couldn't really find it online.

The Hamilton is a great watch for the money. Amazon seems to have the best price. If your budget is $2k, I suggest checking out the Alpina pilot or the Apliner ranges and Oris bigcrown propilot GMT.
This is gorgeous too, although not really the style I'm looking for right now. I appreciate the suggestion though, and I'll keep it in mind for my next purchase!

Did you negotiate with the AD? He should be able to get you a price much closer to grey market than Bloomingdales. If he's unwilling, call Topper and see what they can do.

Even if you aren't a negotiator, it's easier. You say -- I think I am going to get this watch, but I'm not sure about the price. I see I can get it for less online. Do you have any room to come down a bit? I'd like to purchase from an AD if possible.
I called the AD, hoping they'd get me out the door for $700, but the best they could do was around $720 I think. So, $100 more than Amazon (maybe worth it?) but $140 more than Joma, and ??? more than Joma is they have a doorbuster....but it was backordered for a 4-6 weeks. That's probably a deal-breaker for me, although as I mentioned above, Joma got them back in stock, so who knows?

Anyway, the major question is about the date-turning-at-11:56 thing and when door busters happen. Thanks again for all your great comments!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts