WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
790 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Coleslaw 
#1 ·
I need some advice regarding my first watch purchase. I've been obsessively looking around for the past week and I'm really leaning towards the Maurice Lacroix Pontos Chronograph All Black and I'm also like the Bell and Ross BR 123 Phantom. My line of work is casual and want something I can wear everyday with a lot of different outfits. Wanted to hear thoughts on these two watches or if anyone had any other recommendations in this style and price range (nothing higher than the Pontos). Also, keep in mind that I will be paying around $2600 for the Pontos if that's the case. Thank you in advance for the advice.

#2 ·
Both ML and B&R make nice watches. If I remember correctly the ML is bigger than the B&R so you may want to find something of comparable size to try on first. I think the B&R may be easier to wear for different outfits. I would also take a look at Louis Erard 1931 regulator.

#4 · (Edited)
If you are looking at the Pontos Chrono, I'd check out the Raymond Weil Freelancer Chrono. Similar look, comparable quality, essentially the same movement, and less than $2000. If you were looking at the new Pontos S Diver Chrono, then I'd go with that, but RW Freelancer Chrono vs the standard ML Pontos Chrono, I'd go RW.

Good Luck.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

There is an "all black" version as well, but if you are looking for maximum versatility, I don''t know that a PVD/DLC watch is the best option.

#5 ·
I would stay away from an all black watch as an only watch. The black will eventually wear/scratch off leaving a questionable look. It also would not be remotely dressy which limits its versatility.

#6 ·
Really appreciate the advice, was very close to making the purchase of the Pontos Chronograph but now I'm looking around a little more. The Raymond Weil Freelancer is very good looking as well as the Louis Erard 1931 Regulator, I liked all the different versions of that watch a lot. Was also looking at the Oris Atrix GT Chrono. Think I've eliminated the B&R Phantom but still considering other colors.

Just for the record what color scheme do you guys think is the most versatile? Like I said before I work in a very casual setting and don't see myself wearing a suit and tie anytime soon so keep that in mind, definitely committed to either rubber or leather. Thank You.

#7 ·
To give you guys some more context. I just graduated UofM in April, just turned 23, and I operate my own moving, storage, installation company in Ann Arbor, MI. Slacks, a button down and a blazer is the most dressy I ever get 99% of the time, and that is when I go out, everyday life and at work is significantly more dressed down.

I'm a fan of the black rubber strap, for leather I like a dark brown the most then black second most.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.