WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have 4 watches. Doesn't stop me wanting a 5th watch though. They have all been within the £200-£300 pound range and include an Edox, an Orient, a Laco and a Seiko Prospex (2 dress watches, one pilots watch and one diver). I cannot see my budget expanding from that kind of level for the time being. I would rather buy a new watch now than save for a more expensive purchase. That Ball or Oris will still be there later on.

I have been looking at various brands to try and get an idea of some of what is out there. Citizen, Wenger, Timex, Spinnaker, Rotary, Lorus and Certina are some i have been checking out. Any preferences or ideas on brands i might be missing out on?.

Currently i have my eye on this Sternglas Taiga GMT, i just love the look of it.
Watch Analog watch White Light Product

What affordables are you hankering after?.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
As many people here know, I’m a sucker for Tsao Baltimore and Hager Watches… although I think they’re a little above your range.
Watch Analog watch Light Black Tartan

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Clock Grey

Watch Analog watch Clock Rectangle Watch accessory

Watch Hand Arm Analog watch Watch accessory

·
Registered
613 Posts
I am committed to not buying anything this year as I have a lot of new life expenses on the horizon and if I do spend on hobbies I'd like to replace some backpacking gear that's worn out and buy some new watch making items (in a perfect world I'd get a timegrapher, oils and cleaning products, fill out my tweezers and screwdrivers and track down a reasonably price cannon pinion remover).

But In addition to really wanting to save for one of a Nomos Ahoi or two-tone Black Bay 36, I keep having to stop myself from buying an affordable quartzz like a Vaer C3 Traditional, getting the black and rose gold Casio GMAS2100 and putting it in a black or rosegold Royal Oak modkit. I wish that Brew Metric didn't have the vk68 date window placement, but they mostly make up for it by hiding the horrific 24 hour subdial.

Most likely I will end up buying some cheap random vintage and poorly maintained 17 jewel swiss watch to work on the movement this year.

·
Registered
Lots of Hamiltons, a couple of Seiko's, a Smith Everest and a vintage 69 Speedy Pro
264 Posts
So, I'm currently on a quartz field watch kick which was initially an excuse to save some wear and tear on some of my Hamiltons. The cheaper ones all have middling water resistance and the usual mineral glass but I do like the straight forward dial layout. Anyway, this led me to looking for a decent sized field watch with sapphire glass and solid 100m WR. I found all of this in Swiss Watch Company's Arc field watch. Titanium Body hardened with a DLC to 1000 Vickers. Sapphire glass with 16 layers of AR Undercoat and 16 layers of AR Top Coat and a very legible dial with 23 layers of CX1 grade Super Luminova. All for 199 USD and it only weighs 34 grams. Plenty of Youtube reviews. If you want similar styling but an automatic, check out their Bunker watch also with tons of reviews.

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Font

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Font

And a great level of finishing as well. Pics by me.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Watch Brown Analog watch Clock Watch accessory

My collection is currently at seven watches.
Since acquiring my Hamilton Khaki King and the Melbourne Portsea Calendar I have taken a real liking for Timex watches.
They are readily available from drugstore displays and the Timex kiosks.
The California dial Marlin would nicely round up my modest collection of wrist candy.
Watch Analog watch Clock Finger Material property

Watch Analog watch White Light Everyday carry

These represent the upper end of "affordability" for me.
Enjoy your day!

Reactions: Psavage

·
Registered
Timex, Shinola, Movado, Fossil, Elgin.
651 Posts
I'm hoping these come back in stock soon...

I'm mad at myself for not pulling the trigger on one last time they were in stock but I was focusing on some other shiny object at the time.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Pulsar and Lorus. Sub-brands of Seiko. There's a YouTube video of the guy who subjects watches to high water pressure testing a 100m (10 bar) Pulsar watch. It kept working up to over 300 bar!

You could also go off the deep end into the worlds of Chinese and/or Russian mechanical watches.

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
G-Shock, for sure.
Agreed, but be warned that your first G-Shock is like that first hit of crack. :) You'll find yourself chasing down features and colors you never knew existed.

I recommend the GW-M5610U as your first. We will await your arrival in the Casio/G-Shock forum here on WUS.

Watch Light Gesture Clock Finger

·
Registered
9,976 Posts
Check out microbrands.

Someone already mentioned Boldr, Tsao, and a few others? I'd add:
Zelos
Helson
Armida
Vaer
Traska

And depending on your budget and tastes, some homage manufacturers:
Tissel
Alpha
Tiger Concepts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

This is a Metric-Retro from Brew watches. As soon as it come back available, I’m ordering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's a fine looking watch, bit too busy for my tastes, but i have been looking at square/rectangular watches for something different to what i already have. Hopefully back in stock soon!.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am committed to not buying anything this year as I have a lot of new life expenses on the horizon and if I do spend on hobbies I'd like to replace some backpacking gear that's worn out and buy some new watch making items (in a perfect world I'd get a timegrapher, oils and cleaning products, fill out my tweezers and screwdrivers and track down a reasonably price cannon pinion remover).

But In addition to really wanting to save for one of a Nomos Ahoi or two-tone Black Bay 36, I keep having to stop myself from buying an affordable quartzz like a Vaer C3 Traditional, getting the black and rose gold Casio GMAS2100 and putting it in a black or rosegold Royal Oak modkit. I wish that Brew Metric didn't have the vk68 date window placement, but they mostly make up for it by hiding the horrific 24 hour subdial.

Most likely I will end up buying some cheap random vintage and poorly maintained 17 jewel swiss watch to work on the movement this year.

That G-Shock is cool!. Not sure i am ready to enter the G-Shock rabbit hole though. You might never come back.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
If you like Oris or Ball, don't settle. You already have a watches that cover most needs. Buy youself a little piggy bank and put your money in it. Before you know it, you'll be sporting the one you really want. ;-)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts